Your first experience of Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.

In what form did you first experience Les Misérables?

The book
18%
The musical - original production
6%
The musical - 25th anniversary tour production
8%
The musical - another production
12%
The 2012 movie
25%
Another movie
4%
10th anniversary concert DVD
8%
25th anniversary concert DVD
8%
CD recording
4%
Other
8%

Total votes: 51

Zonkamatic

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Zonkamatic » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 pm

I recently realised that I actually watched the 25th anniversary concert from MOTH onward some time before the film came out, and could have probably explained the plot from that point onward, if that counts.
If not, definitely the movie. I'm quite glad for that.

saminana

Postby saminana » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Then it is more what came later...
But this was the first step. It was one of my favourite songs at this time and my mother told me about the musical but yet it wasn't really important. Then she heard about the film and asked me if I would like to go to the cinema with her and watch it. (yes Laura I'm one of them too :wink: ) In the spring holidays we then went to Berne to do so. At this time I only remembered that it includes a barricade and On My Own and that someone commits suicide. And what then happened is just incredible. I don't normally cry because of movies. But then I did, at least twice and sometimes almost.
This is when the whole thing started and one week later I found this forum.
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 pm

I first saw it when my mom bought tickets for me, my sister, and Francophile cousins. I knew there were a lot of deaths, and that's about it. :D I fell in love from the beginning, although I will admit at first I wasn't to huge a fan of OMO or DYHTPS (I'm not sure why, as I now cannot live without these songs). Anyway, it was enough to make me read the book, and it just got bigger from there.
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:51 pm

A musical-fan friend and former classmate of mine took me to Berlin to see the musical just before the end of its run there. It was exactly nine years ago, today, on November 7th, 2004. I came out totally fascinated, couldn't even say why. Next day, I borrowed the Vienna Cast recording from that friend and got the book from the school library. I finished it in three days, I completely forgot about a History exam I was supposed to have and had to fake illness in order to not get a bad mark. As soon as I had finished it, I started over and then a third time when I managed to actually get the original French from the public library in my home town. And the rest, as they say, is history...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 pm

It's been about a year now since I discovered Les Mis :D And I have no idea what day it was that I found the clip of At the End of the Day from the 25th anniversary but I'm grateful I was on Youtube at the right place and right time.
Pancakes are life.

albi87

Postby albi87 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:04 am

I was so young. It was summer. And... boring time. :P I saw this book on bookshelf. I took it and ... It was wonderful. And today, there is in my room. I often read some words for every day. :)

Return to “General Discussion”