Your first experience of Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.

In what form did you first experience Les Misérables?

The book
18%
The musical - original production
6%
The musical - 25th anniversary tour production
8%
The musical - another production
12%
The 2012 movie
25%
Another movie
4%
10th anniversary concert DVD
8%
25th anniversary concert DVD
8%
CD recording
4%
Other
8%

Total votes: 51

Acaila

Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 am

Just something I've been curious about :)
In what form did you first experience Les Mis in a proper and complete fashion, as opposed to hearing about it or listening to a single track or six.

To clarify, after experiencing which of these could you have correctly explained the full plot of that version to someone else? (even if the correct details weren't necessarily canon correct, such as Valjean seeing Javert kill himself, Marius leading the Revolution, etc.)

Feel free to specify, especially for things like other productions, other movies, and recordings.
Last edited by Acaila on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Re: Your first experience of Les Mis

Postby Gervais » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 am

*raises hand slowly* What if...um, what if we don't exactly remember? :oops: Sometimes I swear I read the brick before I saw a movie, but then the memory keeps saying "No, it was the movie!" and then it says "No, brick!" and so on. :oops:

...I'm just going to say movie, then. ETA: It was '98.
Last edited by Gervais on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am

How complete? Like in the awkward "I read a good third of the Brick before I saw the musical" situation, what's the answer? :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 am

My parents went to see it when my mum was pregnant with me...
ok, the first full version I saw was a school production but I'd done a few scenes from it in drama a few months before (the older class read the students' parts from ABC cafe and we (the younger class) were the beggars in look down.) We sang do you hear the people sing at the end. After the school production I saw the london show a few months later. Since then I've seen 2 more school versions (sadly none were my school) and also bought the TAC, the CSR and went to see the 25th anniversary concert when it was streamed live to cinemas.
Regarding the brick, I read it first (i didn't really read it properly) when I was about 13, so that was after seeing it in london and before seeing the 25th anniversary concert.
After watching the movie this year, I began rereading the brick and realising how amazing it is.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 am

Gosh you guys are hopeless :P Don't you have every Mis moment of your life engrained on your brain? :D ;)

Marius - I'd lean towards Brick in that situation, because a third of the Brick is a *lot*. Though I would ideally like when people had an idea of the full story.

Rachelle - you win the indoctrinated early prize :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 am

All right; I put the Brick, then. :mrgreen: And yes, it certainly was. Thanks, Acaila! Though, I must say, I do think that was the perfect way to do it for me personally. I think I actually got more out of it by placing the musical in the middle of reading the Brick.

...Though, as a tangent, my first ever exposure to anything Les Mis was a lullaby tape of Castle on a Cloud that played every night when I went to sleep as a four-year-old. :mrgreen:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 am

It makes sense. I was musical first and it took a couple of years to read the Brick. It sort of went:
1st time at the musical - run over by an emotion!tank :shock:
TAC dvd and OLC cd - continue familiarising self
2nd time at the musical - officially hooked
Read the Brick - interested enough to be persistent with it and get more depth on things I was already familiar with
3rd time at the musical - a whole new level of flailing over its perfection now I know the Hugo.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:22 am

Acaila wrote:Gosh you guys are hopeless :P Don't you have every Mis moment of your life engrained on your brain? :D ;)

Marius - I'd lean towards Brick in that situation, because a third of the Brick is a *lot*. Though I would ideally like when people had an idea of the full story.

Rachelle - you win the indoctrinated early prize :D

Why thank you.
My parents really didn't catch onto it until I got into it when I was older though. But it's in my blood.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am

Well my first 'proper' exposure of the whole thing was the TAC when I watched it. I went in for my school audition, knowing some of the main music, and got a student part so did my research.

Friend gave me the TAC and I thought it was decent and quite impressive even though I wasn't entirely sure what was going on all the time due to the cuts in the TAC and the rather complicated storyline. I then listened to it more, became immersed in our own production, and the rest is history as they say.
The law is unjust.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 am

Rewatching the TAC now, I realise that it makes absolutely no sense.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah, I mean I love it for the cast and all, but I refuse to introduce newbies to Les Mis with it. Plus the lack of blocking makes it seem a bit dumb in places.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 am

Same, I think the 25th is a bit more newbie friendly, even if the blocking is still bad.
I think for the next anniversary they should do a full production like phantom did for the 25th.

Lamarque-is-Dead

Postby Lamarque-is-Dead » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 am

I voted "CD recording" (the TAC in my case), but on second thought, I feel like I should have voted for the 2012 movie.

The first time I heard of Les Mis was when my high school glee club did a medley from the musical. I think it consisted of At the End of the Day, I Dreamed a Dream, Castle On a Cloud, Do You Hear the People Sing, On My Own, Bring Him Home, and the Epilogue. I fell in love with the songs and bought the TAC CD. Shortly after that, I saw a high school production of the musical (the only stage production I've seen to date).

Then my interest faded for, like, 10 years. :oops: I still loved the music, but I don't think I fully understood and appreciated the story until I saw the 2012 movie. After seeing the movie, I read the Brick, and now Les Mis owns my soul.
Mistress of Dubious Compliments (thanks, Acaila!)
Valjean is my homeboy :D

LibertySparks

Postby LibertySparks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 am

Mine was the 2012 movie. I don't cry during movies but I cried during this one. What I remembered the best was the death of Enjolras; I couldn't stop thinking about it. I still have the ticket from the movie theater.
Another story must begin...

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:55 am

I went to see it (the film) on my birthday. I cried, i wept, the whole way through. From opening chords to the closing credits. It peaked when colm wilkinson entered, during i dreamed a dream, when fantine died, during look down (the bit i did in drama), one day more (little did i know that i'd be performing it a month later), do you hear the people sing, on my own (as an ex-eppie-bopper, this is still the song i can sing best), little fall of rain, drink with me (i realised for the 1st time that they know they are all going to die), gavroche's death, Hadley fraser's awesomeness (and this is before I knew who hadley fraser was), enjolras + grantaires' deaths (buckets were wept), javert pinning the medal on gavroche, javert's suicide (that crack sounded painful), valjean's death, Colm Wilkinson again, the huge big epic barricade at the end.
Yeah, I pretty much sobbed the whole way through.

Return to “General Discussion”