Do you have a OTP?

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
deHavilland

Re: Do you have a OTP?

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:27 am

A Wasps' Nest (http://wasps-nest.diaryland.com/intro.html) is a fandom treasure of old, but it's rather heavy on the R-rated side of things, in exploring the relationships between each of the Amis. The Saga of Christian Caron (http://married.frenchboys.net) is a veeery long compilation of an RP that was written about a decade ago that focuses on Enjolras and Grantaire.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 am

Oh *good* times, Geronimo.

A friend of mine asked why on earth is Jehan/Courfeyrac suddenly so popular. Any theories as to why? I can't imagine what in book, musical, or movie gave that impression. Or is there a lovely fanfic out there I missed?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:59 am

Courfeyrac/Prouvaire and Bahorel/Feuilly both gained sudden spurts in popularity about the same time. I think because they were simultaneous, they perpetuated themselves. No one's jumping over to Prouvaire/Bahorel, for instance, because they just believe in these two ships.

My understanding of it isn't that it's because there's anything to specifically support Courfeyrac/Prouvaire so much as the idea that people don't like the idea of a brawny, potentially adultering Bahorel to be with sweet, innocent Prouvaire. And then the two ships happened.

I blame modern AU's.

Also Bahorel/Feuilly makes no sense to me.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:04 am

Agreed. Well I can imagine Bahorel and Feuilly sharing similar interests in contacting different revolutionary groups outside of student circles, but this doesn't mean they share a bed.

And who said Prouvaire is innocent? :lol: :lol: The boy has a reading list that would freak out most teachers and he's described as intrepid!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 am

Yes, well the people who are writing these things aren't necessarily familiar with our dear poet's choice in literature, are they? ;)

I've had this conversation with Acaila a couple times, but Feuilly and Bahorel's values are very conflicting. While there's something to be said about opposites attracting, Feuilly's determined self-education and his enterprising nature are in complete contrast to Bahorel's sauntering caprice in such a way that I can't help but think Feuilly would subconsciously start to resent him just a little bit. Here's a man who makes three francs a day working his butt off in a relationship with the peasant farmboy who gets a 3000 franc handout once a year from mom and dad and has the opportunity to go to law school but completely shuns it? I have better faith in Feuilly than to say oh he would outright hate Bahorel for this, I think he's more forgiving and friendly than that, but I doubt it would work in a romantic relationship between them.

But then you go modern AU and you lose those bits of their characters and it's just "reasonably poor Feuilly" and "Bahorel who likes to skip class."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:25 am

deHavilland wrote:Yes, well the people who are writing these things aren't necessarily familiar with our dear poet's choice in literature, are they? ;)

I've had this conversation with Acaila a couple times, but Feuilly and Bahorel's values are very conflicting. While there's something to be said about opposites attracting, Feuilly's determined self-education and his enterprising nature are in complete contrast to Bahorel's sauntering caprice in such a way that I can't help but think Feuilly would subconsciously start to resent him just a little bit. Here's a man who makes three francs a day working his butt off in a relationship with the peasant farmboy who gets a 3000 franc handout once a year from mom and dad and has the opportunity to go to law school but completely shuns it? I have better faith in Feuilly than to say oh he would outright hate Bahorel for this, I think he's more forgiving and friendly than that, but I doubt it would work in a romantic relationship between them.

But then you go modern AU and you lose those bits of their characters and it's just "reasonably poor Feuilly" and "Bahorel who likes to skip class."

I see Feuilly and Bahorel as the sorts of men to take very different risks. They would drink together, fight together, and help out each other but Bahorel won't have time to help Feuilly with the latter's attempts at unions and addressing workers' rights, while Feuilly would be irritated with Bahorel's playing politics with other student groups, or the latter's tendency for fighting. Feuilly would pick his risks more carefully.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 am

Sure! Different side to the values coin.

In the same way, I don't see much between Courfeyrac/Prouvaire to support them either, other than that in fanon terms, Courfeyrac "works well with anyone."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 am

deHavilland wrote:Sure! Different side to the values coin.

In the same way, I don't see much between Courfeyrac/Prouvaire to support them either, other than that in fanon terms, Courfeyrac "works well with anyone."

I see them as great friends, having the same friendships I see in a Nanowrimo regional meetup: Courfeyrac would push Prouvaire to other circles, and Prouvaire would drag Courfeyrac to literary salons or to secret productions of various plays. But yes, that doesn't equal bedfellows either.

Inspector

Postby Inspector » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Is it just me, or do Bahorel and Grantaire seem like they could be great friends? In fact, if Grantaire had not loved Enjolras, I might even ship them together. Maybe I just don't know enough about them and the story to properly judge such things, but to me, they have enough similarities that they could get along very well.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:15 pm

deHavilland wrote:Feuilly's determined self-education and his enterprising nature are in complete contrast to Bahorel's sauntering caprice in such a way that I can't help but think Feuilly would subconsciously start to resent him just a little bit. Here's a man who makes three francs a day working his butt off in a relationship with the peasant farmboy who gets a 3000 franc handout once a year from mom and dad and has the opportunity to go to law school but completely shuns it?

Can I just say "Hear freakin' hear" to all of that? :)
I'm always open to any ship, but I like it if it isn't one that's made really very unlikely by the text.

Bahorel/Jehan also offers fantastic Romantic possibilities, and I do always appreciate it a good bit of historic research :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:21 pm

My OTP is probably Enjolras/Patira with unrequited R.
I don't really have set Ami ships.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Me neither. The way things are, to me there are no fixed things... (except for maybe unrequited E/R but even that would work platonic...)
There are just opportunities ;-)
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm

God knows I do! Enjolras and Grantaire, pure, platonic or passionate, anything really, (apart from fics that get either one of them pregnant, dear God above have some mercy for my innocent soul). That couple has changed my life just as much Lupin and Tonks had done in the past!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 am

I don't ship anything unless it's canon really (so basically Enjolras/France and Marius/Cosette), but I'm very interested in the pairing Éponine/Feuilly and kind of adore the Cosette/Grantaire friendship fics that I've found on AO3. :)
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Sat May 18, 2013 6:45 am

Enjolras/Cosette.
'Nuff said.
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

Return to “General Discussion”