Video games?

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Acaila

Re: Video games?

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:04 pm

I totally feel for you! When I went into the third year of my undergrad, I moved campus and my flatmate and I decided to just stay on campus that year as it wasn't going to be easy to get there if we stayed off campus as there wasn't a lot of student housing nearby and the nearest neighbourhoods with much rental accommodation available were *very* dodgy. So we moved into a campus flat, with a campus internet connection....only to find that they blocked every form of streaming video other than Youtube. And this was at a time when it was really hard to find anything good on youtube, particularly because it was in the days of the 10 minute limit :(. Not even BBC iplayer, which is totally legal, was accessible. So when new episodes of Doctor Who started airing, I'd take an hour and a half's bus journey to my best friend's flat on the other side of the city, watch a 45 minute episode, and get a bus that took an hour and a half all the way back. Talk about miserable :(.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:42 am

Anyone else here an MMORPG addict? I admit, I play FreeRealms (a but childish but fun) and this week I found KingsRoad and I find it very amusing even if you can't get a female avatar.

I also tried Dota 2 but I'm having a lot of trouble with it as it's very confusing.

In August I tried playing EverQuest and I hated it. I had to shut down my computer manually because I didn't feel like exiting the game by finding a place to camp.
Pancakes are life.

Zonkamatic

Postby Zonkamatic » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:13 am

I would recommend LoL over DotA. I've found that most people find it more easy to understand,though both have fairly toxic communities -- I refuse to believe that it's purely because I suck.

Games I have played (or replayed) recently are:

Gunpoint - a good, if perhaps not for everyone, narrative. The real fun thing is the amount of freedom you have

Spelunky - Roguelite (levelling up through items, random generation, permadeath, EXCRUCIATING difficulty) platforming. Cute aesthetic, but also very gory. It's terribly hard but also addictive -- 'one play more' style of game

Spec Ops: the Line - 2nd time I've played this, and it still affected me just as much with the hindsight of a previous playthrough. Probably the best narrative experience I've ever had in a game. Could not recommend more. I want to go in to more depth, but spoilers.

Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons - another narrative based game. It requires a controller if you play on PC. The gameplay complements the narrative perfectly.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:02 am

Um...a friend of mine recently got me addicted to Pokemon, Fire Red.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 pm

I found a lot of cool games on my Steam app. I downloaded Dungeons and Dragons online, and the graphics aren't that impressive but generally the game is very fun.

Also, I completed all the map missions on KingsRoad! :D
Pancakes are life.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Candy Mania is a fun way to waste a lot of time. It's so addicting.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 pm

I've fallen into the trap that is Clash of Clans and am heavily, heavily debating whether or not I should ask for a 3DS for my birthday mostly for Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time, Smash Bros, and some others that look really friggin good.

In the meantime, I've finally beaten my dad's 20-year-old copy of Street Fighter II after figuring out I could set the difficulty to zero. Um. Yeah. I'm bad at beat 'em ups.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Ungh, guh, the Zelda games for the 3DS are so pretty. Plus making Ocarina of Time portable was one of the best things Nintendo ever did, they understand their market. Unless there's something else you're really keen on, it's worth it! Plus you can play Mario Kart with friends who also have one.

(On the last show I worked on, one of the PAs, the boom operator and the craftie all had 3DSes, so the four of us used to play Mario Kart together from wherever we were on set.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Alright. :D The only thing that was making me debate it is that the last time I asked for games, I got a No because I wouldn't have a ton of time when school started back, and that could be the case again this year. Asking twice in a row might help, though.
Of course the solution would be to get a job to pay for it myself, but places I applied to for this summer literally lost my application. :? So not quite an option until next summer.

...Now I have a mental image of all of you doing that, and it's great. :lol:

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Anyone of you who plays Assassin's Creed Unity is obliged to post a screenshot of the Corinth and the Rue de la Chanvrerie here! :wink:
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 pm

I am reanimating this thread from the dead merely to say that gaming is why I left the fandom a few years ago :)

I am currently to be found in EVE Online when I'm not at work, albeit not under this name anymore. Hence why it appears I've fallen off the face of the earth (sorry!)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Anyone of you who plays Assassin's Creed Unity is obliged to post a screenshot of the Corinth and the Rue de la Chanvrerie here! :wink:

Ugh, it's been out for over a year and I -- an avid and dedicated AssCreed fan -- still have not played it because I just couldn't be bothered to cough up the money for an XBoxOne because it's not backwards compatible. YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER, MICROSOFT. JEEZ.

One day!

MmeJavert wrote:I am reanimating this thread from the dead merely to say that gaming is why I left the fandom a few years ago :)

I am currently to be found in EVE Online when I'm not at work, albeit not under this name anymore. Hence why it appears I've fallen off the face of the earth (sorry!)

Welcome back! And goodbye again? :wink:
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Is it out on PC? I could probably run it on my laptop if so. Maybe something to ask for for Christmas, though it's not my usual RPG fare.

MmeJavert wrote:I am reanimating this thread from the dead merely to say that gaming is why I left the fandom a few years ago :)

Huzzah! Welcome back boss! You can totally juggle fandom and gaming addiction ;)
My current game of choice, now that I've just moved in with my boyfriend and more to the point, the boyfriend's Wii U, is Super Mario Maker. So much fun for an old gamer like me!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm longing for the PS4 Pro. Not preordered as I'm still waiting for a decent bundle sale. As for Assassin's Creed Unity, I bought it a while ago of ebay even though I wasn't able to play it yet but I'm really looking forward to explore Paris. It seems however that the Rue de la Chanvrerie wasn't implemented, at leat that's my impression from the maps and Let's Play videos. I wrote to Ubisoft Montreal asking/begging for an update for the PS4 Pro patch including it. They replied writing they've forwarded my request to the project team. So here's hope to enter the street and Corinthe in game soon...
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Return to “General Discussion”