Political Posts

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Political Posts

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:18 am

So I do not have to hi-jack any more threads ;)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Political Posts

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:24 am

Glad you put a separate thread for this, Em.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to deal with impending political things in the Philippines. Campaign for senatorial elections starts in 2 weeks. Even now there are violations left and right of the Commission on Elections rules. There just could be trouble really, if someone decides to file complaints against the candidates. It could hit close to home too since my family is connected to one of the candidates in question. At least my mother, my sister and I have made it clear we're not supporting this candidate in question, but that doesn't rule out problems entirely either.

It's all because 'personality politics' still rules in this country (I do not even want to go into the historical roots of this issue). We don't vote based on issue, but on faces.

Normally people like to showcase past accomplishments on the campaign trail, but more people think that future platforms matter as much or more. What do you think is more important in picking candidates for the legislature: track records or future plans of action?
Last edited by Aurelia Combeferre on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 am

Don't mind me, I'm just hanging up the obligatory red flag and sticking some political philosophy in the bookcase!

So, umm....how about those politics?

Oooh actually, I do have something to say on a political note!

I got an email yesterday from my party's HQ saying that a guy I am friendly with within the party recommended me to work at the national conference (that's like the RNC and DNC I think to Americans). I really want to do it, even for the big names I'd likely get to meet, since it would mostly be either meeting and greeting speakers or prepping them backstage according to the email. Though my track record of being able to keep quiet when being asked questions by such people, even when they are the leader of the country, has never been very good.

Only problem is, it's in April and I might have a job by then (unlikely....but you never know).
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:32 am

I'm totally going to stop by here in the morning, i'm about to sign off for the night :( my political ramblings get weird at this hour, I always think politics non-stop sometimes :P

Have fun y'all! Everybody here knows my views ;) so I probably do not have to describe them...

~Your friendly resident Enjolras ;)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 am

Oooh I had a thought!
We should *totes* all do the Political Compass! Can't be bothered raking it out and thinking about it too hard tonight though.
Night freedomlover!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 am

Here it is! http://politicalcompass.org/

I did the political compass several times. I always score in the third quadrant: left leaning, libertarian. Something of a social democrat, so they say.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 am

I'll do it properly tomorrow, but as far as I remember, I'm left, left, a little bit more to the left, left and....yeah just keep going left. And more liberal than I expected. 8)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Here it is! http://politicalcompass.org/

First time doing it says that I'm a double negative. WOO! *Joins third quad celebrations*

[quote=Aurelia Combeferre]It's all because 'personality politics' still rules in this country (I do not even want to go into the historical roots of this issue). We don't vote based on issue, but on faces. [/quote]

Honestly, that happens almost everywhere. :( In some places worse than others, definitely, but it still happens.(From what I've heard, the governor of New Jersey would make a nice president but always gets voted out early because he's fat.) And then there are people who vote a certain party no matter what--my great-grandma, for instance, has always voted all Republican in every election she's voted in, even though the party's views have changed a bit since the 1940's and sometimes the candidate is a bit of a douche.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm unique, yippie! ;) down into the libertarian camp ;) But some of the questions I really was like; "Uhh... this is not an issue of the government..."

Seriously though, some of the questions on the quiz I was like; "Well, this should not even be a governmental issue."

Basically I believe this- the government should protect the liberty and life of the citizens, but once it infringes on their rights the citizens should protest. The government should be of people---- very decentralized, more liberty and power to the people.

I'm a classical liberal ;)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Gervais wrote:

First time doing it says that I'm a double negative. WOO! *Joins third quad celebrations*

[quote=Aurelia Combeferre]It's all because 'personality politics' still rules in this country (I do not even want to go into the historical roots of this issue). We don't vote based on issue, but on faces.

Honestly, that happens almost everywhere. :( In some places worse than others, definitely, but it still happens.(From what I've heard, the governor of New Jersey would make a nice president but always gets voted out early because he's fat.) And then there are people who vote a certain party no matter what--my great-grandma, for instance, has always voted all Republican in every election she's voted in, even though the party's views have changed a bit since the 1940's and sometimes the candidate is a bit of a douche.[/quote]

Hooray double negative buddy!
I did this very quickly, so there were a couple of questions that might have skewed me a bit

Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
Which iirc is not quite as left as before, and more libertarian than before.

Actually, since it will wind me up if I don't check....*quick google*
4 years ago I got:
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.7

Severely doubt that I have become less left wing in that time!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Forth Quadrant slightly =P But I'm close to the third....

But the fun thing about this quadrant, people in the other quadrants love me, but at the barricades there are a few things we disagree on...

The main reason is because in general i'm like; "Liberty for the people" and "freedom for the people". but here and there are small things like; "State government should prevent a business from outrageous practices like slavery" and "a government should protect life", making my stance acceptable to most other quadrants. I love my square <3 Since I can work with others, but am very strongly adhering to my own principles.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Interesting....Hypothetically, out of curiosity, what does it mean if you land smack in the middle?
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:12 pm

\
With this quiz, since they have no "undecided" option you have to land one way of the other.

Middle usually means moderate.

Btw- can y'all tell me y'alls exact chart scores? I'm plotting out the "Les Amis Political Chart Tracker" ;)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

freedomlover wrote:\
With this quiz, since they have no "undecided" option you have to land one way of the other.

Middle usually means moderate.

Btw- can y'all tell me y'alls exact chart scores? I'm plotting out the "Les Amis Political Chart Tracker" ;)

You'd prob be better taking the second of two in my post, I think I put more thought into that one! :D
(Hehe y'all!)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Acaila wrote:
Gervais wrote:

[quote=Aurelia Combeferre]It's all because 'personality politics' still rules in this country (I do not even want to go into the historical roots of this issue). We don't vote based on issue, but on faces.

Honestly, that happens almost everywhere. :( In some places worse than others, definitely, but it still happens.(From what I've heard, the governor of New Jersey would make a nice president but always gets voted out early because he's fat.) And then there are people who vote a certain party no matter what--my great-grandma, for instance, has always voted all Republican in every election she's voted in, even though the party's views have changed a bit since the 1940's and sometimes the candidate is a bit of a douche.

In our case, we have a bad dynasty problem going on: family members running one after the other to keep areas under their control. Or the nepotism version: right now, the President's first cousin is running for the Senate. Not everyone is pleased with the implications of this.

Return to “General Discussion”