Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
CC21106

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby CC21106 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Morbidmuch_ wrote:The business of musical theatre isn't that big (as shown by the many overlaps between big shows) so it's not impossible.
I can't think of any Marius/Cosette or Éponine/Gavroche examples at the top of my head, but I'm still a fetus in the fandom compared to some so I'm sure some of the more adult fans can help you out with that one.

Fetus in fandom...LOL I am too.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now (10-3-17)

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm

CC21106 wrote:Fetus in fandom...LOL I am too.

:lol: :lol: I thought it was a fitting description.
"Grantaire, put that bottle DOWN"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Morbidmuch_ wrote:The business of musical theatre isn't that big (as shown by the many overlaps between big shows) so it's not impossible.
I can't think of any Marius/Cosette or Éponine/Gavroche examples at the top of my head, but I'm still a fetus in the fandom compared to some so I'm sure some of the more adult fans can help you out with that one.

My brother is my housemate, and could probably do a creditable (much overage) Gavroche, but durned if I'm gonna be Éponine under any circumstances. Too bad the elderly aunt isn't in the show. I could manage HER, unpleasant old biddy that she is.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now (10-3-17)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

I got to play Gavroche with my sister as Éponine in an unauthorized high school production in the '90s. Not sure if that counts, but hey! :lol: And at auditions for a local production back in 2013 here, there was a girl who auditioned for Young Cosette while her aunt tried out for Adult Cosette. Neither was cast, though, but that would have been cool.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Well, Jason Forbach and Joe Spieldenner were dating when they played Enjolras and Grantaire (respectively), during the 4NT. They got married during the Broadway Revival's run when Jason was at least understudy Enjolras.

My personal favorite was when Simon Shorten was Valjean and Katy Hanna went on as an emergency Gavroche. Probably the only time in the history of the show that Valjean and Gavroche have been married.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 pm

I remember when Jonny Purchase and Jade Davies went on as M/C while they were together. The cast's tweets about them were presh.
This conversation's reminded me; back when I did Mis School's Ed the first time back in 2914, Marius was a horrible flirt and kind of a sleaze. He had a girlfriend at the time, but we'd caught him making out not only with the girl who played Cosette (who, funnily enough, he flat out refused to kiss *on stage* during AHFOL and the reprise because his girlfriend was in the audience), but also Valjean. And naturally, in a cast full of 14-19 year olds, there was a lot of Romance Drama. Looking back, it was cringingly hilarious. Luckily we didn't have as much this time around :lol:

Last Friday I got to meet my oldest internet friend for the first time. We've known each other for just over five years, and though we'd talked on Skype, actually getting to see each other face to face was incredible. We're hoping to see each other again next week, and hoping even more to see les mis together, since that was one of the contributing factors to our friendship. Honestly, getting to hang out with her has been the highlight of my summer.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Postby 23623 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 am

CC21106 wrote:

Fetus in fandom...LOL I am too.

So am I. :lol:

deHavilland wrote:My personal favorite was when Simon Shorten was Valjean and Katy Hanna went on as an emergency Gavroche. Probably the only time in the history of the show that Valjean and Gavroche have been married.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Prisoner 24653 and Phangirl: Playing Les Mis must be super fun! I think the only role I'd be able to play in Les Mis is probably young Éponine, because she doesn't sing. But obviously I'm far too old for that.

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Last Friday I got to meet my oldest internet friend for the first time. We've known each other for just over five years, and though we'd talked on Skype, actually getting to see each other face to face was incredible. We're hoping to see each other again next week, and hoping even more to see les mis together, since that was one of the contributing factors to our friendship. Honestly, getting to hang out with her has been the highlight of my summer.

That's very cool! I'm glad that you had a good time! :D
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 am

Chrispy J went out with an Éponine understudy from the UK tour for a while.

Totes not Mis but the Lockyers got together after playing the leads in Miss Saigon I'm pretty sure.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 am

About to go submit my dissertation and wave farewell to student life. Feels a bit surreal. Probably because I'm seriously sleep deprived. It's been a while since I'd pulled all nighters and it feels a lot like jetlag.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:35 am

Olivia_y wrote:About to go submit my dissertation and wave farewell to student life. Feels a bit surreal. Probably because I'm seriously sleep deprived. It's been a while since I'd pulled all nighters and it feels a lot like jetlag.

Good luch and congrats :D What's your dissertation about?
I just started my last year at uni, which is also a bit surreal.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:43 am

23623 wrote:Random silly question: are there any people who have played Les Mis characters in a similar relationship they have IRL? Like actual couples playing Marius and Cosette or actual brother and sister playing Gavroche and Éponine? :D

A friend told me yesterday that there were actual couples who played Enjolras and Éponine ( :shock: ) and even Enjolras and Grantaire ( :shock: :shock:) together, which made me really curious about the rest. :)

Back in Duisburg 96, Enjolras Martin Berger and Éponine Sanni Luis became a couple for a while, don't think it was very long. There was even a news about it in the Stella (production company responsible for all major German musical productions back then) newspaper.

I guess the Phantom/Christine/Raoul constellation sounds more promising for actual couples. I know at least one from the Hamburg production, Michael and Carla Nicholson.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Back in Duisburg 96, Enjolras Martin Berger and Éponine Sanni Luis became a couple for a while, don't think it was very long. There was even a news about it in the Stella (production company responsible for all major German musical productions back then) newspaper.

Also, Killian Donnelly and Sam Barks were a couple while playing Enjolras and Éponine.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:15 am

Olivia_y wrote:About to go submit my dissertation and wave farewell to student life. Feels a bit surreal. Probably because I'm seriously sleep deprived. It's been a while since I'd pulled all nighters and it feels a lot like jetlag.

Congrats! Lots of long lies to celebrate methinks :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Good luck! Here I am on the other end of the spectrum, I'm moving to another part of the country in two weeks. I'll probably be a rather homesick Londoner for a while, haha. Side note: thank god A levels are over now.

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Last Friday I got to meet my oldest internet friend for the first time. We've known each other for just over five years, and though we'd talked on Skype, actually getting to see each other face to face was incredible. We're hoping to see each other again next week, and hoping even more to see les mis together, since that was one of the contributing factors to our friendship. Honestly, getting to hang out with her has been the highlight of my summer.

We did end up going to see Les Mis! What a difference it makes going with someone who loves the show like you do!
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:33 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:We did end up going to see Les Mis! What a difference it makes going with someone who loves the show like you do!

Had a blast going to see it with Havvy last summer and fangirling for the rest of the evening :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “General Discussion”