Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Gervais

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Gervais » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:42 am

Thank you so much for that. :lol:

I wanna be in your class!

Also: I got to see a friend of mine who's gone to college yesterday, when I thought I wouldn't get to see her for another week, and that just completely made my day/week/life. :mrgreen: She's the only openly queer kid at my church (that the youth pastor knows of. Shhhh.), so it's been a little weird with her not being there for Friendly Backup Support.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Aww glad you got to see your pal!
And nah, don't go for the class! That's even my boring class, because it's the one non-theatre class I teach! My youngest kids today were working out how to act out breaking into a house in different ways. They were convinced I was some criminal mastermind getting them to do my plotting for me :lol: My classes are always phenomenally random fun!

Not quite a musical, but this is where I was on Sunday night: https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=549852FE
Eat your heart out Hernani 8)

One more day before the vote....and the ballot box of freedom!
(assuming they don't rig it somehow. I am more than worried about electoral fraud at this stage).
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am

Happy birthday Gervais! :D

Hope everyone's well. I've been super busy but I'm rewarding myself by going to see Les Mis SE in Dublin!

Acaila, sorry about the referendum result. I had mixed feelings about it but in the end I thought it would be so exciting if Yes won. I just hope the aftermath wasn't too bad your end, those Glasgow scenes looked terrifying.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 pm

I can feel the adultness.
Thanks. :mrgreen:

Seriously, Acaila, I hope that you were away from that. Or that social media was exaggerating, but either way, because that's a terrible way for anyone to act. :?

http://shinybarricade.tumblr.com/post/9 ... background

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 pm

The Glasgow trouble came from a very small group of British Nationalist football hooligans. These people look for any reason to start a fight. Other than that Scotland was gloomy but peaceful in the aftermath of the referendum.

I hope we will see changes in the way the UK is governed. At the moment too much power is concentrated in London. I will never feel British but I hope the Union will be able to reform itself.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks guys.

Gervais, I've been singing Empty Chairs at Empty Tables a lot since the result. The day afterwards, when I finally got home, I got "Here they talked of revolution/Here it was they lit the flame/Here they sang about tomorrow/But tomorrow never came" into my head. That was about the time the hysterical heartbroken crying started too (I had been up for two days straight and was coming down off caffeine pills too, to be fair). But yeah, I've basically just been outright depressed for the last week. I described it as being like actual grief :(. I've lost elections before, but this is far far more. I never allowed myself to think of what it would be like to win, but I never contemplated how bad it would feel to lose. Really really really bad is the answer.

Amusingly, on the musical theatre side, my ex boyfriend included in a facebook post about his feelings post-vote, with credit to me, "Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart/My land's only borders lie around my heart" from Chess. But, sod it, if we're taking musical theatre quotes about it, I'll take "Pour une seule barricade qui tombe cent autres se leveront demain" ;)

And not to worry, George Square was just a bunch of sectarian idiots. Rumours made it a bit worse, and I saw a few posts on tumblr when I popped on to look for some referendum stuff, and it did look like Tumblr doesn't have a clue about many things ;). From the No side incidentally, though certain media sources tried to portray it as "clashes" between the two sides. Any Yes folk there scarpered pretty quickly, but that's the only bit of real trouble there has been. I went to a rally today at the Scottish Parliament, which was nice. Singing and speeches and lots and lots of flags. They asked people to take donations to give to local foodbanks too and there was so much stuff donated it was great to see an alternative to the nastiness of the night after.

The fight goes on... After all, even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise (just hopefully before the country has been completely fucked over!)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:10 am

<3 here's some Chris Jacobsen to cheer you up: http://youtu.be/J_Vg7ANuJiA

Happy October everyone!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Awww that's so lovely thank you <3
Lovely of you to do it I mean. Chrispy's even better than lovely *chinhands* I wonder if any recordings of him in South Pacific have surfaced, I've been so out of the loop with boots lately because of politics :(

On nicer news, boyfriend's sister dropped me a message the other day asking if I wanted to go see Les Mis with her! She wants to see Carrie before she leaves, so we can start plotting for probably after Christmas. Wondering if I can maybe get my new fave seats for my February holiday. Apparently she asked her brother "Do you think Acaila would be interested in going to see Les Mis?" His response was "Are you seriously asking that question about Acaila and about Les Mis?" :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Speaking of the Jacobsen, I have proof that he is, in fact, a dork. A massive one.
https://twitter.com/CPJacobsen/status/4 ... 5645254657
I saw your post on Tumblr by the way Acaila. :( (And I didn't know how to reply without seeming like a moron. Still don't actually. :oops:)

Yay! I've already sung my praises about Thackovert, but I'll say again that he's pretty damn god. Hopefully by then he'll have fixed his character slip.
(I may have roped myself into going again after Christmas as well! My friend who likes Carrie agreed to go with me. :mrgreen: No complaints here, I love the current cast. I also may be able to go see Assassins at Menier, but tickets are running out because Catherine Tate and Aaron Tveit are in it. :? )

This time January I may well have blond hair. Our director wants Lina Lamont to be a blond, and wigs may be impractical. Yay. Though, getting to scare people with my nasally, squeaky and slightly Brooklyn character voice is worth it. :twisted:
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:24 am

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Speaking of the Jacobsen, I have proof that he is, in fact, a dork. A massive one.
https://twitter.com/CPJacobsen/status/4 ... 5645254657
I saw your post on Tumblr by the way Acaila. :( (And I didn't know how to reply without seeming like a moron. Still don't actually. :oops:)

Yay! I've already sung my praises about Thackovert, but I'll say again that he's pretty damn god. Hopefully by then he'll have fixed his character slip.
(I may have roped myself into going again after Christmas as well! My friend who likes Carrie agreed to go with me. :mrgreen: No complaints here, I love the current cast. I also may be able to go see Assassins at Menier, but tickets are running out because Catherine Tate and Aaron Tveit are in it. :? )

This time January I may well have blond hair. Our director wants Lina Lamont to be a blond, and wigs may be impractical. Yay. Though, getting to scare people with my nasally, squeaky and slightly Brooklyn character voice is worth it. :twisted:

The picture one or the mopey heartbroken one?

Chrispy being gorgeous makes me feel better.

What's this about Tveit and Tate in Assassins? Am I even further out of the loop than I thought?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:36 am

If by picture one you mean the one with the 'Yes' sign in the window, that one. Again :(

I hope he gets casted in something else soon. Preferably West End.

Catherine Tate's going to be in it (no idea as who mind you), and Aaron Tveit's got himself casted as Booth. Result, tickets are going like mad. Apparently people have been whining on tumblr about wanting a broadway transfer :lol: I reeeeally doubt that would happen. Having said that, Merrily transferred, didn't it? (I could say something about another certain Menier show I wish could have somehow been transferred, but I won't)

Speaking of new shows, just a few more days til Memphis!

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:45 am

I thought he looked adorably handsome in the video, even if the piano player's a bit off!

Do it guys! I really like the current cast. I might see them again in January too :D I am also looking into Assassins...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm

The Yes sign one was actually of my neighbour back home's window. Probably shouldn't have snaffled it off her facebook, but I wanted to share it :(. It's interesting how many signs are still being up (a friend yesterday told me people in his street had taken theirs down and were now putting them up again) and badges are still being worn (I've only worn mine to a rally last week and meeting this week, but still). Genie is out of the bottle.

Now. I really like Aaron Tveit, but I cannot see him as Booth. Is that just me?

Still, sounds like a show I'd love to see, and that cast surely could warrant a transfer. The thing about Candide was that it worked so beautifully in the round and with audience involvement. Obviously I'm gutted it didn't transfer, because it was a really wonderful production, but they would have had to completely rethink a significant proportion of it to pull it off, but also it would probably not have been so effective in the setting of a big West End House.

I've just checked the dates of Assassins. It's on til March. I was looking to go see Mis in my February halfterm....

EDIT: Though Tate finishes 8th Feb and I think it was the week after that we were planning. Hmm, I wonder if the boyfriend's sister likes Tveit...
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:35 pm

One boy at school said he thought that the English should have voted in the referendum. *double facepalm* Twat.

I've just booked my tickets. I'm seeing Les Mis again. AHHH! :mrgreen: And I'm with my best mate (the one who now fancies Denis Grindel) too!Yayayayayayayayay

That's more or less what I think. Doesn't mean I can't have a crazy wish to go back in time and see it again. Hah.

I'm going on the 30th....maybe. A friend of mine's going then, so we're trying to go on the same day, but it's pretty close to when I'm seeing Les Mis, and my parents won't want to drive to London twice in a week so...yeah. That may not happen. Shmeh.

Oh! I'm now the lyre player in marching band! 8)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Sorry about the way the vote turned out, Acaila... Hopefully there will be at least some improvement in the way the UK conducts its business now, though. And this is a bit unrelated, but I was bemused by all the political commentators here who were saying they hoped Scotland would vote against independence because they didn't want the US to lose a valuable ally. What, did they think Scotland was going to cut ties with everyone who was an ally of the UK if they became independent? :?

And aye, I heard about Tveit and Tate being in Assassins. I'm having a hard time imagining Tveit as Booth, as well -- he seems like he'd be a better fit for the Balladeer/Oswald. But we shall see... If there's one thing being a LM fan has taught me, it's to avoid prejudging tenors cast in baritone roles. (Case in point: Drew Sarich and David Thaxton as Javert.) :wink:

Congrats, Phan! I loved marching band in school. We didn't have any lyre players, though... That's pretty awesome!

Return to “General Discussion”