Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Alouette

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Alouette » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:07 am

Rachelle, did you enjoy the show? There was a SE on in Dublin a few months ago but I couldn't go :(

I'd love for Cosette to have more to do in the musical, she's its emblem for goodness' sake! I also think swapping a few voice types around would be interesting. If Cosette were an alto or a mezzo though would Marius have to be a baritone? Now that I'd love to hear.

HA, Acaila I can't believe it! Wait... you have a boot of it? :shock: I think I have a few tracks on my tumblr, if it's the same one.

It has got much better, but there's a long way to go. A lot of sectors are picking up and some like the financial services sector are thriving, plus we've exited the bailout. But the effects are still there, mainly with the government slashing essential services that were never well provided for even during the boom. People complain about paying 10 quid to go to the doctor in England? Here, it's 60 euro, and that's even if you pay for private insurance. There are other problems - Dublin has a homelessness crisis that's getting worse. But that's more to do with what the government has chosen to prioritise, especially when they had the money to prevent such problems.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:46 am

The show was absolutely amazing, I will post some points from it tomorrow if I get a chance. I'm probably just going to post them on this thread rather than make a new thread in the show section as it's not really a full review. If anyone has an issue with this let me know.

Ooo, baritone Marius would be interesting.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:02 pm

A few 'brief' notes on the Les Mis Schools Edition that I saw last night. This is my 4th time seeing the SE and 6th time seeing the actual show.

The overture was better than in London. Come on London, pull yourself together and fix that orchestration.

Javert... Does Drew Sarich have a son or a clone that I didn't know about? The guy was his double. He hammed up the role far too much, very very hammy but was enjoyable to watch and had a great voice. He had really overactive eyebrows. However, he managed to pull it all together in Suicide and made it believable. I clapped twice as hard to make up for lack of applause in London.

Enjolras wasn't great. He didn't have a commanding enough presence or voice though other ensemble members did. His ABC cafe was hilarious though. I've never seen an Enjolras get so angry and p****d off at Marius and the others. He literally screamed 'WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR LONELY SOUL!!' in Marius' face and proceeded to argue with him to the point of almost pushing him over.
During drink with me, Enjolras is sitting on the barricade, a bottle in one hand and his other rm draped around a girl. So out of character. Grantaire sang his verse to the whole group rather than to Enjolras in particular but he sang it well.

During the finale the whole cast came on inc. the Thenardiers, Javert, little Cosette etc. I was a bit tearful but then Fantine gave little Cosette a hug and I broke down into full on sobbing.

Valjean was wonderful, he did bring him home without the excess vibrato that seems so popular nowadays and it was beautiful.

Marius was great too. Really reminded me of Rob Houchen.

Éponine was probably the best of the 3 main girls. Cosette and Fantine were both quite weak. Little Cosette was incredible, she'd been made up to look really waifish and she looked exactly like my image of the character.
The Thenardiers were great, a little over the top, but that's to be expected.

The oboe solo is cut!!!!! I wasn't expecting that. I suppose it makes sense as there's no dramatic barricade revolve, but still.

The staged they barricade really well. They had it inthe background so they could climb over it but when it came to the fight scenes they turned sideways using the tables and chairs as cover. The national guard were on stage too and the sniper who shoots Gavroche was in one of the boxes. Really clever staging.

Overall, a really enjoyable performance.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Rachelle wrote:
Acaila wrote:Suggest what sort of food you like and what sort of resources you would have in your kitchen and I can suggest some recipes. I was always self-catering at uni and it was way more fun and convenient and tasty.

You're not known as the Abaisse Chief/Chef for nothing. :D

Oh you ;) :D I'm already thinking up a few favourite recipes that I absolutely adore and that other people have stolen from me, but trying not to get too complex.

Speaking of food, I walked past the Deli Victor Hugo at last yesterday. Walked past alas, because I was really running to get to a show. Well, walking with purpose. Anyway, point is. It's painted red and black :D

Very glad you enjoyed the show too! One thing I do love about SE productions is getting to see different staging. And yes that's coming from Little Miss Nunn/Caird Forever :D

Alouette - Yes I have 2 or 3 boots of it. The one I always listen to is my own one however. Happy to share it, but my internet is rather on the crap side atm as you may remember. If you want, keep an eye out for me talking about having superfast broadband again and drop me a reminder.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Deli Victor Hugo?? Where's this?

Also, some of my friends are doing Sunshine on Leith in the Fringe with CaptivateTheatre. I'm not sure if there's any tickets left but it should be good. http://www.captivatetheatre.com/#!sunsh ... eith/c1xmn

Also, for some reason I've decided to try and learn the end credits medley from the 2012 movie on piano. Crazy idea, but none the less fun.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Rachelle wrote:Also, for some reason I've decided to try and learn the end credits medley from the 2012 movie on piano. Crazy idea, but none the less fun.

Nothing crazy about it! Have you found sheet music for it, or are you going to transcribe by ear?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Sheet music has not materialised so I'm transcribing by ear. I've done it before for other songs but not to this scale. I have the sheet music for most of the songs from the pvg book but most of them are in the wrong key. So many different keys. It's fun though. If get past the One Day More section I'll be happy as the rest of the songs are more straight forward.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 am

Deli Victor Hugo is in the middle of Edinburgh. I used to live across the Meadows from there and yet somehow didn't know it.

Captivate did Les Mis at the Fringe last year and it twas v good. And I bloody love the stage version of Sunshine on Leith, had forgotten there were a couple of productions of that on. Don't know if I'll have the time to catch it - I'm actually even going to be at the venue on one of those days next week but my meeting has been cut to just the morning now.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Glad it was a good show Rachelle, and it sounds really interesting. Pity about the Enjolras! Are the SE orchestrations based on the old ones then?

Omg, a Victor Hugo deli painted red and black. Acaila, you have to go sometime and befriend the owner :D

Ah I see, didn't know there were a few boots knocking around! Thanks so much for the offer :)

I went to see the Arthur Miller play The Price last night, it was excellent. It was in a theatre that consistently gets good actors. One of the actors in this play, Lewis J Stadlen, has been in lots of Broadway productions and got a Tony nom for playing... Pangloss! I talked here about seeing Jackie Marks once at that theatre, but what I didn't realise in those early days was that David Shannon was in the same show *facepalm*

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Haha, I think we've all had moments like that! Though Havvy not realising she'd *performed* in a show with her favourite Enjolras does rather take the biscuit!I actually went up to a minor celebrity after his show last night to apologise for blanking him last year when he tried to talk to me :oops:

Schools Ed was made pre 25th anniversary. Though I think the orchestrations are also simplified and may be rearranged a little by an MD, though can't say that for certain.

And yes, I've been meaning to go for ages and ages. And I have to buy something in it of course. A loaf of bread perhaps?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Yeah, the orchestrations were definitely pre25th anniversary.
Who was the Enjolras that Havvy performed with?
I really need to visit that deli next time I'm in Edinburgh.
I'm a bit annoyed because the crochet hook that I'm using to make dolls of les mis characters with is on the verge of snapping in 2 so I have to wait and order a new one. Really annoying as I've just started to make Fantine.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:09 pm

I went on tour with Stephen R. Buntrock in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in the early 90's, between the show's run in Toronto and its return to Broadway. I wasn't actually in the show because they hired local choirs to come and perform in rotation as the children onstage -- and I was like four years old -- but my dad was the production head carpenter and my aunt was the dance captain whose responsibilities included working with the kids. So I was snuck onstage a couple times over the course of the show's run.

But my only surviving playbill from the production is from when it hit the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver, and Buntrock wasn't with the show at the time. It wasn't until I stumbled on an old Buntrock interview that mentions he was in the show when it was on tour that I realized he had been there at all. (I later mentioned it to my father who of course remembers him and his daughter and his ex-wife perfectly, to my chagrin.)

/end long-winded story about Havvy's childhood

Of course, then I later looked back at the tenth anniversary Les Mis playbill that I've had since I first saw him play Enjolras in 1997 and lo and behold, it says right there, so I'm just an unobservant idiot.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:21 pm

I was just about to ask how that came about! That's a great story. Did you ever get a chance to meet Buntrock later and tell him about it?

Alouette wrote:It was in a theatre that consistently gets good actors. One of the actors in this play, Lewis J Stadlen, has been in lots of Broadway productions and got a Tony nom for playing... Pangloss!

Acaila wrote:Haha, I think we've all had moments like that!

I'm starting to think this might have been one of those moments. I've looked Stadlen up and he's not just a "good actor". He's kind of a legend. I know a little bit more now, I guess.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Nope. Maybe one day. I don't think I've seen him perform live since 2000 when he was touring with Martin Guerre, and I was with my mother so of course we didn't stage door. Someday, I'm sure.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:22 am

Have any of you been watching the challenges that the London cast have been doing recently?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzI7W_ ... oH0fw1hDQw
Silly, but enjoyable to watch. :D

Return to “General Discussion”