Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
TheRandomPhangirl

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:44 pm

Oooooh which show?

(Also hi, I'm in 'murica now)

Friend does now not want to go because she doesn't like theatre classics. (yet liked singin' in the rain. I think it's because of my Mis obsession. Dammit)

Seeing posts from your fourteen year old self can't be as bad as your twelve year old self. *went to their first RP forum on ff.net the other day. Shudder* though if I come back here in a few years and read my posts I'll probably punch myself in the face. Speaking of usernames, I think I may need to ask to change mine, namely because of a certain noun that isn't exactly, um, right.

When the votes are counted, will the result decide directly or will the Higher Powers decide they want involvement too?

Deco was a complete bastard and I loved every single second he was on stage. It's a shame that Denis didn't sing much though, because his voice is great. Quite a few Mis alumni in there, there was an ex u/s Éponine, a few ex cast members, etc.

(Acaila, I did try sending you a message on Tumblr around your birthday, but the app was being crappy so I don't think it sent :oops: )

My drama teacher's Les Mis course is this week, and I can't do it. (Waaah)
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 am

I actually read through most of my posts here last week. It was quite nostalgic for me and brought back many good memories of livestreams and oscars, barricades at tom hooper's and Cameron Macintosh's etc. a few embarrassing things but nothing too off the wall.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:46 am

Got my wisdom teeth removed this morning. My lower face is completely numb right now. All I remember from the procedure is being somewhat awake, seeing people around me and mumbling "I want tacos". :shock:

Anyway I would like opinions on a fanfic idea. I would ask on the POTO fansite I used to go on but it no longer exists and many of you on here seem to like Phantom too.

A year ago I read an excellent POTO fanfic which was a sequel in which Christine and Erik ran away to England and eloped. I was already working on a story about the life of one of my Twilight OCs during the victorian period, and I thought why not privately write a follow up to the Phantom fanfic (obviously I cannot publish it, it's only for my own enjoyment.) and add my character.

Her name is Elsa Hienzberg. She is a vampire who was transformed in 1769, at the age of 24 while she was studying medicine in Berlin (she is German). After earning her doctorate she worked as a veterinarian in Berlin. After her parents passed, she and her partner (also a vampire) moved around Europe and worked in hospitals. In 1880 they opened their own veterinary clinic in London and a certain Swedish singer went to them looking for medical care for her cat.
Pancakes are life.

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 am

Hi, guys! I was going to drop in a few weeks ago but my account was being weird. I just got back from a European class trip. It was great fun, but now I'm taking a university application class at school. :(

Phan, welcome to my country of residence.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 am

Yeah, the whole site was being a bit weird but it's hopefully all better now.

@Unicorn: I had mine out 2 years ago. I hope you're feeling better, I know it took me a long while to recover.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Oooooh which show?

(Also hi, I'm in 'murica now)

Friend does now not want to go because she doesn't like theatre classics. (yet liked singin' in the rain. I think it's because of my Mis obsession. Dammit)

Seeing posts from your fourteen year old self can't be as bad as your twelve year old self. *went to their first RP forum on ff.net the other day. Shudder* though if I come back here in a few years and read my posts I'll probably punch myself in the face. Speaking of usernames, I think I may need to ask to change mine, namely because of a certain noun that isn't exactly, um, right.

When the votes are counted, will the result decide directly or will the Higher Powers decide they want involvement too?

Deco was a complete bastard and I loved every single second he was on stage. It's a shame that Denis didn't sing much though, because his voice is great. Quite a few Mis alumni in there, there was an ex u/s Éponine, a few ex cast members, etc.

(Acaila, I did try sending you a message on Tumblr around your birthday, but the app was being crappy so I don't think it sent :oops: )

My drama teacher's Les Mis course is this week, and I can't do it. (Waaah)

Well it's the thought that counts. ;)

Basically it will decide directly. There was some sabre-rattling from the Con Dems about "oh well, we weren't involved so you can't have it just like that" but even they aren't dumb enough to try and go against the democratic will of a nation, especially after they tried it in 1979 and pissed absolutely everyone off. If it's a Yes (when it's a Yes. Positivity and confidence!), there will be 18 months of negotiation before independence actually happens in May 2016. So we decide who keeps Antarctica and the embassy in Tuvalu and things like that. The divorce settlement I suppose.

As far as "higher powers" though, apparently Cameron said he was looking to base himself in Scotland for the last two weeks of the campaign (he became the first prime minister in over 40 years to visit Shetland recently and wonders why we want to bugger off). Cue many comments of "Well that's the referendum won for Yes then!" :D

Interesting about Mizzies in the Commitments though, I hadn't recognised a lot of names from those cast members I had seen mentioned.

And no, trust me, seeing posts from half your life ago is awful. I still have stuff from when I was 12/13 on ff.n, and that's why nobody gets to look at my old fanfic :D

I can't remember why - I think I might have been looking for Havvy's appearance and the subsequent proposal so I could jokingly wish her happy anniversary - but I went and read through a huge ton of this thread a few months ago. Considering it was only a year ago at that point, it was very very nostalgic :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:20 pm

@Acaila - the possible breaking-away of your country does seem too important not to have an opinion about. Hope you at least made up some minds one way or the other? :D

To be fair though, a lot of people might think it'll be the same crap, just with different people in charge. Also, your closest comparator is Ireland (although hopefully if Scotland does become independent it'll be under much, much better circumstances) and our history since the split has been... tumultuous, to say the least. People might have that in mind too. It's no excuse not to have an opinion :roll: but I can understand it...

I can't wait to see what happens. I think the result will have a big impact in other parts of Europe too.

Hope you enjoy America, Phan!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 pm

Honestly, I've seen Ireland used as a pretty positive example, with things like currency certainly. I don't think people are too worried over anything sectarian or similar. It's been a very inclusive campaign certainly - we've got the likes of Scots Asians for Independence, Poles for Tak, even English Scots for Yes, so anyone trying to go "oh but nationalism is always racist!" can go and sod right off.

I did meet one non-voter who did the "they're all the same, they're all corrupt, it's just human nature!" schtick, but oh well. When people are like that, and have decided that doing absolutely nothing to change anything and sitting on their arse moaning is the way to deal with that belief, there's not really much you can say to them. Hell, even the fact that Holyrood hasn't really had much at all in the way of scandals in 15 years (Henry Macleish being the only thing I can think of and that was hardly the Westminster expenses scandal) doesn't seem to register for a lot of people.

One thing I think hasn't been pointed out enough is just how few people have issue with the track record of the Scottish parliament. I mean we have free tuition fees, a council tax freeze, free prescriptions while they've gone up in England, we've not privatised the NHS. Even right now a lot of people are saying that the Scottish government are sending aid to Gaza and offering to take in refugees while Westminster is doing nothing (I don't really get into Israel/Palestine in the same way I don't get into stuff involving Northern Ireland - too controversial and deeply entrenched - but I think the humanitarian aspect is v much worth mentioning). And the government have said that if independence happens, they're going to put up pensions, get rid of nuclear weapons and re-nationalise the mail service. Who would disagree with any of that? Compare that to the bedroom tax, top-up fees, pay ten pound to see your doctor down south and....well I dunno, it seems a no brainer, but obviously I'm not somebody who needs convincing.

But yes, got lots of undecideds swaying over to our side. Apparently I'm good with little soundbites on the doorsteps :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Right, I've got the iphone, now I just need to choose a cover. I'm really torn between the enjolras vest cover and "do you hear the iphone ring?"
Any more opinions?

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 pm

deHavvy, sorry I missed your birthday- I hope it was amazing 8)

Rachelle- I would go with the "Do You Hear the IPhone Ring?" although that version of the Cosette logo looked a little unrecognizable..

Acaila- Oh my, you are bringing back memories! I've gone doorknocking and phonebanking for years, and it is true- you get some of the strangest responses. I think my strangest was somebody who started asking me questions- and they were super outrageous like "do you own slaves?" and I was like "No, I'm against slavery." :shock:
and yes, I've heard many of the "what is the difference- they are all corrupt!" people around...
I had this older lady inviting me in for tea, that was sweet but I was in a hurry so I couldn't.
Sound bytes are always helpful- do not do a Hugoilian ramble to voters... :roll:

So I was taking some online classes and have been pretty busy with them, and also- next semester will be taking 18 credits of classes. I'm moving to an on-campus apartment like dorm, and was wondering if anybody has some good/cheap student recipes? Its still considered on-campus housing, people are not really allowed to move off-campus until they are 21 in many places, I'm hoping to move off campus next year. I really feel like its time to move off-campus, I'm getting worn out with the noise of halllife, and the drama- even if you aren't involved in the drama, you are bound to overhear it living in the center of a hall...
So even though I had a great Sophomore year- living on the hall was awful. Hopefully junior year would be better 8) Oh, and i'm taking an eighteenth century Europe course which I'm super excited about!
has anybody read the "Age of Democratic Revolution?" Twelve Who Ruled also by Palmer is really good also!
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:59 pm

Tomato soup with feta, peppers and spring onions makes a nice pasta sauce. :D

Also, I'm going to see a les Mis school production today. Looking forward to it but nervous because this will be the first time I've seen the schools version since I turned 20 (I've never been in one and I'm afraid I might get annoyed at it) and also because I saw the London production so recently. This one has gotten really good reviews though so I'm hoping it should be good.

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:04 pm

I was referring also to the economy because it's had some spectacular peaks and troughs. It is true that the currency split was handled well at the time, but now it seems that whoever you speak to outside Ireland can't get past the Euro crisis from a few years ago. When I spoke to anyone abroad in like 2011, it was as if they thought all the banks here had shut down or something.

This is from today's edition of an Irish paper:

the SNP view of Irish self-determination tends towards the Panglossian

...which is probably unfair. (love the gratuitous Candide reference though!)

@freedomlover - A packet of pasta will go a long way! I like to mix mayonnaise and natural yogurt with oil for a white sauce that goes with any kind of fish. Just add it to the pasta and then season it with whatever you prefer, like pepper.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:39 pm

@freedom lover
This website has a few nice things on it. http://studentrecipes.com/.
Also, if you're a prawn fan. This one is nice:
http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/lemony-prawn-pasta.html (I'd recommend adding lemon juice to it too).
Jars of dried herbs (basil, oregano, thyme etc.) are really useful to have. I often end up using jars of pasta sauce, curry sauce, chinese sauce etc. but I always jazz them up a bit. Peppers, spring onions and other vegetables help to pad a meal out. I'm typically just cooking for myself so I make a big pot and freeze whatever I don't eat in portions. Really handy.

I was singing Cosette's verse of In My Life there now and because I've quite an alto-sounding voice even when I sing high it got me thinking, what would it be like it Cosette was an alto/mezzo and Fantine and Éponine were sopranos. Fantine could definitely be a soprano (I think if Les Mis were an opera she probably would be), as for Éponine I can kinda see it. It would just be interesting to see how the characterisation would change. That and giving Cosette an aria/ballad of her own or at least a duet with Marius that's just the 2 of them. That last point is mainly because I was watching Jekyll and Hyde and despite the fact that Emma (the soprano love interest who survives) has less songs than Lucy (the mezzo love interest who dies), she does get her own ballad and a love duet with Jekyll.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Alouette wrote:I was referring also to the economy because it's had some spectacular peaks and troughs. It is true that the currency split was handled well at the time, but now it seems that whoever you speak to outside Ireland can't get past the Euro crisis from a few years ago. When I spoke to anyone abroad in like 2011, it was as if they thought all the banks here had shut down or something.

This is from today's edition of an Irish paper:

the SNP view of Irish self-determination tends towards the Panglossian

...which is probably unfair. (love the gratuitous Candide reference though!)

Oh my Alouette you're not going to believe this! I was reading that exact article this morning and chuckled at the Candide reference and got all pleased that I recognise such things nowadays, and thought of you mentioning Candide on here just the other day! :D And promptly wandered around singing Best of All Possible Worlds and wishing I had my boot of it on my new phone to listen to on the bus like I used to.

I honestly haven't heard much distinctly from the SNP themselves about Ireland. There are so many pro-Indy groups around these days that where I've heard Ireland mentioned it's been from others. Norway is the one the SNP seem to harp on about the most.

Am I right in saying that Ireland has recovered pretty well from its financial crisis now?

Rachelle - I hope you enjoy the show. I've seen the schools ed three times now. 2 were great (inc one with an Abaisser rocking the place!), 1 was crap, so it really depends on the company. Funnily enough there's a version of it on at the Fringe this year and two of the cast members tried to push in front of me in the bus queue earlier. So I'm reconsidering looking into tickets just to spite them for being rude tbh. And I'm still saying go for the vest :D

Em - I've found most people here to be generally quite well informed, if not so much into the detail of it, meaning that we get asked some quite considered questions. It's far more important than your average election though so it makes sense. The first public meeting I was at was part speeches part Q&A, and the very first question was about some obscure trade policy that the EU are debating that I'd never even heard of before. It's moments like that that have had me downplaying suggestions of me representing my group at public meetings. Writing and delivering speeches fine, but answering all comers? Could be dicey!

That said, I have been wearing at least one of my Yes badges every time I've gone out recently, and got stopped by a guy flyering a show who didn't recognise it and just assumed I was a very positive sort of person. But he was English so....

Speaking of flyers, I actually stopped in my tracks for a flyerer who simply said "Revolution?" to me. Realised he wasn't offering some political theatre but was actually plugging a fringe party at the Revolution Restaurant/Bar that I really must get round to going to at some point considering the theme. And the Victor Hugo deli that I just realised I almost walked past today....darn

Suggest what sort of food you like and what sort of resources you would have in your kitchen and I can suggest some recipes. I was always self-catering at uni and it was way more fun and convenient and tasty.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Acaila wrote:Suggest what sort of food you like and what sort of resources you would have in your kitchen and I can suggest some recipes. I was always self-catering at uni and it was way more fun and convenient and tasty.

You're not known as the Abaisse Chief/Chef for nothing. :D

Return to “General Discussion”