Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Gervais

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Gervais » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm

My mom and I both found it a bit stupid when every single news channel was focused on royal baby news and almost nothing else. We would change the station and it would be "Live from [hospital name here]!"' You'd think there would at least be some good ol' politician-blaming going on if nothing else.

Good morning, Aurelia, and hey, Rebus! :D

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Call me crazy, but I believe that all people are born equal.
And that's it not right for people to be born into a life of privilege and power just because of who their parents are. Or for the rest of us to pander to and fuss over people who have done nothing to warrant said adulation.
They have huge influence, huge wealth (including a payrise from taxpayers in the middle of a recession), and own more of the world's land than any other person.
(and land ownership is an utterly awful concept that should be consigned to the dustbin of history but that's a rant for another day).
Just because of who their parents are. How is that in any way fair or democratic?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50 pm

I was excited for Will and Kate as a couple that they have had their first child, but I do not need to hear about it constantly over every single national new network.

Morning Aurelia! :) And Hi Rebus!
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

S'up people.

I'm fed up with the Royal Baby stuff. Great, the kid's born. Great, we're going to have another monarchy. Great, I'm still going to pay taxes to a guy who's supposed to be more important than everyone else in the country because he's a Windsor. -_-

(Forgive me, I am incredibly grumpy today)
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Well, if we're talking about taxes, people living in Britain actually end up paying less because of the royal family, because they get profits of their land and the tourists they bring in making extra money. But yeah, monarchy is fundamentally a bad idea, but it does have some perks, even if you think they're not worth it.

I'm also not British, so I don't really know if they have all that much power/influence there.

I don't really watch the news much and have been sick, so I haven't been out/watching the news, so I'm not fed up with it yet. Meh.

Hello, Relly and Rebus, though!

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Hey guys!

And yeah, I agree that it's not really democratic, but then because I don't live in GB, I think it just doesn't bother me? Which is maybe terrible. I just feel sort of apathetic about it. And then my mom is a big Princess Diana fan, so there's a whole emotional aspect to it that's not logical at all. I can't actually justify it. It just excites me in a distant way, but I also don't watch TV. I'm sure I'd have been annoyed if I was constantly being bombarded with it.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 pm

I know that the Queen can try to stop a law being passed if she wants, but the last person to do that was Queen Anne which was in the 1700s. Though, people do take influence from the Royal Family because they're popular.

Most of the news is all Royal Baby stuff from what I've seen on TV, but the newspaper I read today didn't have much about it.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Rachel wrote:Well, if we're talking about taxes, people living in Britain actually end up paying less because of the royal family, because they get profits of their land and the tourists they bring in making extra money. But yeah, monarchy is fundamentally a bad idea, but it does have some perks, even if you think they're not worth it.

Actually, that's not correct.
The UK monarchy costs its subjects a whopping 112 times more than the Irish presidency costs its citizens. Revenue from estates like the Duchy of Cornwall don't actually go to the country either, so we don't profit off of "their" land.

As for tourism, this is Britain! You can't move without tripping over a tourist attraction. And yet, there's only one royal attraction in the top 20 visitor attractions in the UK (Windsor Castle. Now imagination how much more that could offer the economy if it was open all year round ;)).

Also, to assume that people would just stop visiting these attractions if we didn't have royals is silly. Just take a look at our beloved France. Versailles is still doing a roaring trade in tourists, even if its prior inhabitants were guillotined several centuries ago now.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 am

That's ridiculous, Acaila.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 am

I finally got around to seeing The Great Gatsby this afternoon! It was... intense. :shock: I jumped/flinched hard at the end.

So I just watched John Green's new video and this is a conversation between him and his son at Lake Michigan:

"Daddy I wanna dig a big hole, I want to dig all the way to the tippy-tippy-bottom!"
"Yeah, let's keep digging!"
"Daddy this is soooo fun!"
"I know!"
"Daddy do you know who likes digging holes?"
"No, who?"
("And he looked at me and he said '...')"Germans."

I laughed so hard. Apparently when he and his family were in the Netherlands for a while they found out the Dutch weren't so fond of the Germans because they like to dig holes in their beaches?

Resident Fennec Fox. Murr!
"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 am

WhoIam wrote:That's ridiculous, Acaila.

Yes, it's a ridiculous system.
It's such a strong part of the status quo, in a country where status quo and tradition are god, that when people actually sit back and look at it properly, it comes across as completely insane that we still put up with this nonsense.
British society is still completely obsessed by social class. And there is no greater symbol and pinnacle of social class than a monarchy - completely useless, wildly rich, and treated as if their farts don't stink :roll:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 am

There's a good question actually, why do we put up with it?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:38 am

2 answers:

1 - Because Britain has both a terrible obsession with tradition (like, hello, we have a completely unelected house of parliament and we have the guts to somehow call ourselves a democracy?!) and the arrogance to believe it is more enlightened than the rest of the world and doesn't need to improve any further.

2 - Because the establishment benefits from keeping the class system just the way it is, with them at the top and we proles at the bottom (just take a look at how many of the cabinet went to the big public schools and Oxbridge for proof of that...). And the establishment controls society.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 am

Should it not be the other way around - society controls the establishment? The establishment's purpose is to make laws for the benefit of the people, not to keep some people on the bottom of the ladder while they get the benefits of their circumstances of birth.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 am

WhoIam wrote:Should it not be the other way around - society controls the establishment? The establishment's purpose is to make laws for the benefit of the people, not to keep some people on the bottom of the ladder while they get the benefits of their circumstances of birth.

It should, shouldn't it?
And yet, it doesn't work like that at the moment, does it?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “General Discussion”