Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
LauraLeZunzu

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am

Gervais, thank you thank you! You were the only one who answered me. And was very important because I was feeling very ignored at that moment(and still , but less). But (language problem) what does "reading too much into.it" mean? Like I'm expecting top much or imaging too many thing because of an unimportant thing?

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:55 am

LauraLeZunzu wrote:But (language problem) what does "reading too much into.it" mean? Like I'm expecting top much or imaging too many thing because of an unimportant thing?

It means all he said was that he didn't think his thing would take long. You understood that as meaning he didn't want to spend time with you, and it might mean that, but it might not. He might literally just mean he doesn't think his thing will take a long time, and not realize that it sounds like he's avoiding you.
You might be taking a meaning out of his message that he didn't put in.
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Acaila wrote:
But what is a strawberry cheesecake cookie?! That's the important thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/recipe/strawberr ... ke-cookies (Ignore the fact it's from Fox News)

Morgan wrote:
LauraLeZunzu wrote:But (language problem) what does "reading too much into.it" mean? Like I'm expecting top much or imaging too many thing because of an unimportant thing?

It means all he said was that he didn't think his thing would take long. You understood that as meaning he didn't want to spend time with you, and it might mean that, but it might not. He might literally just mean he doesn't think his thing will take a long time, and not realize that it sounds like he's avoiding you.
You might be taking a meaning out of his message that he didn't put in.

What Morgan said; it's Your second definition, Zunzu. He could be meaning it the way you were thinking, or you could be "imagining too many things."

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Gervais wrote:(Ignore the fact it's from Fox News)

You're asking a lot of me :x

Holy mother of... :shock:
Do. Want.

I actually just decided against buying strawberries at the store too! Gutted :(

Eww, I'm bookmarking something from Fox News, I feel so dirty right now :cry:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 pm

If it's any consolation, just tell yourself that it's not an actual "news" article; just a very yummy recipe that happens to be a light in a dark sea of strangeness.

(Actually, I don't think I've tried those cookies before; just a "brownie bite" version.)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Still, it gives them page views.

Speaking of news, I'm feeling like an awesome journalist today. Went to pick up my press pass, which came with a free lanyard while even performers have to pay for theirs :lol: Then I swung by the press office for one of the major venues to pick up some tickets I'd reserved and people were standing up on hearing my name to come over and shake my hand. It's good to be a critic 8)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Copy and paste into Word?

That sounds awesome. Woo! :mrgreen: I think the most news I have today is that the dog and cat were finally able to be in the same room without killing each other.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I....don't even know what day it is, let alone what's on the news. Have they shut up about the baby yet? I saw a restaurant with a "Congrats Wills and Kate!" sign outside that is now struck off my list of places I will ever eat :evil:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Acaila wrote:I....don't even know what day it is, let alone what's on the news. Have they shut up about the baby yet? I saw a restaurant with a "Congrats Wills and Kate!" sign outside that is now struck off my list of places I will ever eat :evil:

Well, it got them to strike the male part of "eldest male heir gets the throne", so maybe it was good for something? I dunno.

What's wrong with people being happy about it, though?

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Using it in advertising means that they think it's going to attract me to spend money with them. This is my republican way of showing them that they are wrong. And stupid.

Also, I'd rather there wasn't an heir getting the throne, regardless of gender implications. Rehabilitating one tiny bit of the image of a screwed up system that perpetuates inequality doesn't fix it, it just fools some people into thinking it's not so bad after all.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:54 pm

While I feel the 1707 political union between Scotland and England has had its day, I would not object to retaining the 1603 Union of The Crowns. The Royals have virtually no power anyway.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Something very authentic for Star Wars fans:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/stay-lu ... di-1618898

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Good morning!

When it comes to such matters, Zunzu, actions (over time) help clear up the language/subtext issues.

If you ask me, the entire concept of monarchy, especially ceremonial monarchy, is quite impractical. Maybe in some places it serves a cultural purpose (like in Thailand) but on the whole, it is quite a burden on a nation.

Sorry if that was a little mean.

:shock: What a place to stay in while at Tunisia!

How's everyone?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Maybe it's just because I don't live in a country with a monarchy, but I was kind of excited for the baby. It's archaic and somewhat silly, but something about it, I don't know. It's very popular in Germany, though. Germans love the British royals.

And I'm all right! Sort of kicking myself because I can't seem to organise my thoughts at all. How are you?

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Good! Got class in 1.5 hours, but I don't mind very much.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Return to “General Discussion”