Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
macaron

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby macaron » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Acaila wrote:Also, important distinction, she had an effect beyond England. She's probably far more loathed actually in Scotland, Wales and....well would you say Northern Ireland too Rachelle? You quite probably know better there. In England, it's the North that really hates her since that's the heart of mining country. Or was, before she ripped it out and ate it of course. :roll:

Yeah, I realised after I posted I should've said UK, not England! *facepalm*

Acaila wrote:There was actually a suggestion of a minute's silence for her at football matches this weekend! (from her party, never from the FA). You can imagine how well that would have gone down, especially since it's this weekend that the Hillsborough minute's silence will be observed.

Yeah, someone was asking the offical Everton account on Twitter whether there would be some sort of tribute to Thatcher for tomorrow's game, and they were like, "Uh, no, we're focussing on the Hillsborough tribute." They're good people, really, those Evertonians!

Acaila wrote:
freedomlover wrote:Sometimes I think some of our presidents were better liked in foreign countries then our own, but I cannot think of any off hand...

Obama is an obvious one. I remember reading a piece in the Guardian saying that if the rest of the world got to choose between him and ....McCain was it? Or the other guy whose name is escaping my exhausted brain right now....Romney! It was Romney....Obama would have taken 93% of the vote, based on their research.

Yep, I remember seeing that. People seemed to be overwhelmingly terrified of Romney winning - the morning after this past election was pretty much, "And the world breathes a collective sigh of relief".
And yeah, I think Clinton was pretty popular here, too.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I campaigned for Romney to prevent Obama from winning... But I was not fond of either...

I was with a bunch of other students in northern Virginia, we were up at 6AM and got ready to contact voters. We built political sign barricades and somebody actually drove to the side of the barricade saying we had not chance at all :lol:

One incident reminded me of "Drink With Me" the night before the election I was thinking of what to tell the students if we lost, because they worked so hard. The students on the other hand were all drinking (soda) and talking about their significant other or a crush.. and we almost got into an Enjolras/Patria moment when they asked about me.

Before I even saw Les Mis :lol:

I think the United K--gdom countries would each be best independent :)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Most football fans are.
And the last time Thatcher was involved with football....1988 Scottish Cup final, she was there to present the trophy. 70,000 fans held up these red cards to her: http://etims.net/wp-content/uploads/201 ... d-card.jpg
Yeah football fans 8)

There you go Em, you've found something we can agree on. ;) But what is your reasoning for it? That's the important question.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Lol, I meant the United Kingdom being better off as independent nations :D Silly Em :D
I'm interested because there was a BBC piece on Americans who support Scottish nationalism a few months back. It was.....enlightening...

Now watching a documentary about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Orgreave
Because it's shorter than Billy Elliot :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Acaila wrote:Most football fans are.
And the last time Thatcher was involved with football....1988 Scottish Cup final, she was there to present the trophy. 70,000 fans held up these red cards to her: http://etims.net/wp-content/uploads/201 ... d-card.jpg
Yeah football fans 8)

Oh my god, those red cards are brilliant.
With Everton being our local rival (heh, "local", said the Swede) we usually take any opportunity to pick on each other, but they've always stood beside us when it matters. Yeah football fans, indeed. ♥

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

I thought you were referring to Obama then I was like; "Oh, of course she is talking about the UK!" :P

Mainly because each of those nations are so different culturally and represent such different ideas and have such different politics, they may be best governing themselves. The people would have a better voice if it was the "nation of Scotland" the "nation of Northern Ireland." and so on.

(I have to go now :( I'd love to hear y'alls ideas... I'm not too familiar with the UK's issues but I personally always believed they each would be great independent of one another.)

I deleted my other post because I just caught that lol :D Silly moment!
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Our rivalry certainly never lets up, but when we got to a cup final they put a big banner outside their stadium (on the main road we had to pass down to head south for the final) wishing us the best of luck!
(not saying I'd have liked us to do similar ;))

Not bad Em, you get a headpat for that answer ;) :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Acaila wrote:Our rivalry certainly never lets up, but when we got to a cup final they put a big banner outside their stadium (on the main road we had to pass down to head south for the final) wishing us the best of luck!
(not saying I'd have liked us to do similar ;))

Awww. :lol:

Last season we actually faced Everton in the FA Cup semifinal on this weekend - at first I was terrified, because our derbies are usually really dirty affairs and I didn't want the memorial weekend to be tarnished by that, but come matchday I realised I needn't have worried. The atmosphere was fantastic, with Everton supporters wearing "Justice for the 96" shirts and carrying "Don't by the Sun" banners. ♥

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

People can put their differences aside when it's something *really* important.
Like not buying The Sun ;)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Heh, exactly!

I was watching my Henry IV DVD today and feel the need to post this video, should anyone have the time/inclination to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRmSvaSes7U
Because, Roger Allam and Jamie Parker! Most perfect Falstaff/Hal. Sorry, Tom Hiddleston.

One of my goals in life is to use Allam's "DEPOOOSE MEEEE?!" at some point.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh my! I'm listening to the Dropkick Murphies right now, because all this talk of Thatcher has put me in the mood for some punk music, but I will have to watch that later!

I actually am really partial to Kenneth Branagh in Henry 5. I haven't watched any Henry 4 in forever and ever (so, like 7 years)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Green Day's concert in Toronto was last night, and..... long story short, it was the best three hours of my life. Long story slighter longer, it was A M A Z I N G and even though my ears are still ringing and I'm about to pass out from sheer exhaustion because I only got four hours of sleep and I've got a bruise on my cheek from where I got kicked by a crowdsurfer it was so totally worth it 10/10 would totally recommend. Seriously, you have not lived until you've been part of a mosh pit, and Green Day's songs are even more incredibly awesome live and just it was a billion times better than I'd dreamed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

((I just thought I'd let you all know, considering how long Marius and Gervais have had to suffer me flipping out when I got the tickets and then my crushing depression when the concert was originally cancelled and then me fangirling x5 once the new concert date was released. :oops: :roll: ))
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Mlle_Alexandrie wrote:Green Day's concert in Toronto was last night, and..... long story short, it was the best three hours of my life. Long story slighter longer, it was A M A Z I N G and even though my ears are still ringing and I'm about to pass out from sheer exhaustion because I only got four hours of sleep and I've got a bruise on my cheek from where I got kicked by a crowdsurfer it was so totally worth it 10/10 would totally recommend.

Gah, so much envy! Sounds amazing, I want to see Green Day live so badly. (Think I'll pass on the mosh pit, though. *g*)

Acaila, I do love Branagh, too - I mean, he's a freakin' legend - but after I saw Parker on stage he just IS Henry to me. And Allam is a genius in Henry IV, you should definitely watch it later. :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 pm

I will do, I remember seeing adverts for it online and thinking it sounded awesome :D

Rachelle - if you are still around, do say. I have something you may be interested in :D

Favourite Shakespeare play mes amis?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Acaila wrote:I will do, I remember seeing adverts for it online and thinking it sounded awesome :D

Rachelle - if you are still around, do say. I have something you may be interested in :D

Favourite Shakespeare play mes amis?

Just back...
What is it?? :D
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Return to “General Discussion”