Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Mlle_Alexandrie

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:16 am

Last edited by Mlle_Alexandrie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 am

Glad I can help! :) typing on an iPod -for some reason my laptop is being weird accessing the Internet...

I can see both sides, but I know some hospitals cannot afford OC, there is a
hospital in Nj (one of the few hospitals left in that area of the state) that cannot afford it so it actually backfired for the people in that economically sad state.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:21 am

Last edited by Mlle_Alexandrie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

TheGreenFairy

Postby TheGreenFairy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 am

I remember, in Econ, watching a video on the debts the states were in, and how their plans to employ people and make money would fail because they didn't have enough to start them. So sad, my country. :cry:
A experiência é mãe da ciência.

I'm someone, and it contains Courfeyrac.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 am

Did someone mention universal healthcare? (or something along the lines of it)

Universal Healthcare freakin' rocks y'all! :D
You know how being sick or hurt is really crappy? It's really a lot less crappy if you don't have to worry about paying for those ligaments you just tore. Or for that surgery for something that is only going to get worse if you leave it.

Not to mention the millions of people who don't have insurance, or who think they are covered and then their insurance company wriggles out of paying for it, as happens ridiculously often.

And not to mention the fact that bills are insane even when you don't get seen by a doctor. :shock:

We have universal healthcare here with the NHS. It's awesome. People describe it as the true national religion. You just call up your doctor, make an appointment, tell them what's bothering you and they sort it out. In Scotland, we even have free prescriptions, so people who are ill with something longterm especially don't suffer financial penalties for getting sick.

And it's great, because you can just go and get things sorted out rather than worrying about money. Like, I'm thinking I should make an appointment with the doctor because I keep having breakouts on my face and it's not something I want to keep happening when I start teaching because I'd rather not look like a teenager. Wouldn't be a problem, all covered free. My buddies in the US? Not going to hospital with their elbow split open so far you can see the bone.

So yeah, universal healthcare works 8)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

LibertySparks

Postby LibertySparks » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 am

freedomlover wrote:Obamacare is a ton of pages so I cannot define it in one short post, but i'll do my best.

1) Obamacare is extremely long--- nobody can read the whole thing.
2) Basically it gives the government power to run health care. But the constitution does not grant this power--- although some use the "necessary and proper" clause.
3) the other controversial part stems from human rights- many people are opposed to abortion, but the government insists businesses that are opposed must pay for their employees abortions.

One time I got a death threat for opposing Obamacare :roll: I think the people who support it are well-intentioned though..

And wasn't it that Catholic hospitals must administer abortions/contraceptives, or just offer employees coverage as stated in #3??

( I oppose Obamacare too ;) )

I think that if the government already has healthcare for those who cannot afford it (Medicaid) and the elderly (Medicare) and I think imposing healthcare on those who can afforded it from private companies is wrong. I think that it would be better if both Medicare and Medicaid were both privatized. The government is not here to force me to have insurance contraceptives and abortion (both of which I strongly oppose). I, along with the rest of the middle to high income nation, can decide that for ourselves.

And this also goes with my political cornerstone of "Bug out, Government. I can live my own life. Just protect my rights and defend me from attack."

And that, folks, is my issue with Obamacare. The End.
Last edited by LibertySparks on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another story must begin...

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 am

Nope I have not.

Lol ;) Poor Marius...

If I do not reply to anybody i'm not being rude, my internet is being unpredictable :P

I guess I do not mind my city coming out too much- it is a large city so it is not like nobody has ever heard of it and now everybody knows of it ;)

@GreenFairy: In Virginia compared to New Jersey we are doing wonderful---- but even Virginia is not perfect economically.... Northern Virginia and Maryland are in the "DC Prosperity Bubble."

Technically the Carolinas are well-off, and Texas is...

You are correct Liberty, those were the other issues :) I'm a poor student, but I oppose it ;) well, by definition if you are a college student you are poor ;)

I think healthcare works better in smaller countries like Scotland ;) I've heard many political philosophers say "This would work in a smaller nation, but apply it to a large scale the country would be broke." So you cannot use universal statements as each country is different...
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 am

Awkward moment when Germany's had national health care since the late 1800s and America still can't get on that...

Resident Fennec Fox. Murr!
"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:31 am

that awkward moment when you were attempting to avoid a political discussion.

Wait? there is a world outside politics?? ;)

LibertySparks

Postby LibertySparks » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:32 am

redmiserable wrote:Awkward moment when Germany's had national health care since the late 1800s and America still can't get on that...

And, like Em said earlier, Germany is a relatively small country with a relatively smaller population. So it could work.

World outside politics? Whaaa........? Tell me of this new discovery.

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:32 am

WHOOO PONIES AND RAINBOWS and

I just went and played those Disney Channel games. The Lilo and Stitch Sandwich one and the Kim Possible nacho making one.

"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:34 am

Exactly, small countries with small populations work very differently :) That is why Massachusetts is doing fine---- no, i'm not saying they are a nation i'm just using them for an example ;)

A friend of mine told me about it tonight while we were talking :shock: Strange happenings! Really? I cannot imagine... I really do not want to worry about lonely souls, we strive towards a larger goal...

LibertySparks

Postby LibertySparks » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 am

People have told me of this new alien world... sounds boring. :wink:

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:37 am

Enjolras, stop talking to yourselves. :wink:

freedomlover

Postby freedomlover » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 am

That does.... let us hope that is not the "world beyond the barricade."

redmiserable wrote:Enjolras, stop talking to yourselves. :wink:

That made me smile ;)

I'll try Jehanrius... ;)

Return to “General Discussion”