Doctor Who

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here?

Postby FortressDoor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:03 am

I want it to get darker. The current Dr Who is too cute and fluffly
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm going to miss DW 50th's airing. :cry:
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Aww pet! You'll get it on iplayer though :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Mm, but it won't be the same. I'll have to watch it whenever I resurface the next morning. And stay off Tumblr. 0.o.

I did have a dream about the Christmas episode the other night, which would have been cool had it not turned weird.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm

So anyone been following the news lately?

Mind you, these are still only rumours until BBC officially confirms how many have been found and which ones. Still, exciting news if true.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:46 pm

See, I saw people talking about this, and then heard the press conference had been pulled. And speculation about them isn't allowed at present over at Gally Base so really, I just don't know what's going on. And, it's missing episodes, so I always work under the pinch of salt rule until something is released.

(But even so, I'm going to keep everything crossed that The Highlanders is one of them)

A great time to find them though if it turns out to be true, only about a month shy of the 50th anniversary!

EDIT: A little bit of scouting around suggests that the current rumours are that it's a couple of Troughton episodes, probably The Enemy of the World and The Web Of Fear. Emphasis that it's current *rumour*

So I'm still crossing everything for The Highlanders!

EDIT EDIT: And here's the Radio Times, though they aren't so official these days: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10- ... -this-week
It does seem more than a little weird that they wouldn't confirm existence until they were already remastered. Heck, it's weird that it didn't leak, considering how other things leak in the Whoniverse!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:40 pm

I am excited about this but I am not sure how many of the fans of New Who would be interested in buying old B&W episodes from the sixties. I have a nostalgic interest in sixities Who as my first introduction to the show were repeats of the first two Doctors in 1992. It will also be interesting to see if the high opinions fans have of some stories will change once they have had the chance to view them. Power of the Daleks for instance is considered to be one of the best classic Who stories of all time but very few fans have experienecd the story through a medium other than audio and books.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

A lot of people who began with NuWho then went back and got into the older stories.
Certainly, they've found enough people interested to buy all of the Classic Who dvds so far!
There seems to be a lot of excitement around fandom right now sure enough. It's nice to see, particularly in the run up to the 50th, that people are appreciating the show's history.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Yeah, I was introduced to the show via the new series, but went back to check out the classic series (first with "Ribos Operation" and then with the very first stories). Almost immediately gravitated to it, even now Hartnell is one of my favorite Doctors.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I cannot seem to get into New Who. Certainly it has more character development than the classic series which was much more plot driven. I just find it moves too fast for my liking and there is too much emphasis on the relationships between the Doctor and other characters. I also feel the show is a bit too violent at times. On the other hand the new series should be credited with creating a much wider audience for the show. Traditionally fans of Doctor Who have been for the most part male. Certainly by the 80's it was condsidered kind of "uncool" to like the show. Now the show has tons of female fans and Who fandom has grown and developed in a way I would have never thought possible. Credit must be given to the BBC for revamping the show as I imagine many must have thought it would never have become a success again.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Please let Marco Polo be one of them, please let Marco Polo be one of them...
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Marianne wrote:Please let Marco Polo be one of them, please let Marco Polo be one of them...

Any of the historicals actually. The historial aspect is the one thing I miss about Who from the 70's onwards.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:07 am

Yeah, some historicals would be lovely- Polo or The Massacre especially (as well as my absolute favorite- Myth Makers).

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:08 am

Marianne wrote:Please let Marco Polo be one of them, please let Marco Polo be one of them...

I'm actually surprisingly happy with what we've got in terms of a reconstruction of Marco Polo.
I do like that story though.

I can also see why a lot of people are getting very excited about the possibility of The Enemy of the World though. But it would be awful if they got some of it back, but not the Patrick Troughton dual role confrontation bit.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm

So, the latest as I understand it right now is this:
The BBC has officially confirmed that missing episodes have been found.
There is a press conference tomorrow about it.
Debbie Watling and Frazer Hines will be at it, suggesting at least some Troughton will be amongst the findings.
There is apparently a press embargo on the information from the press conference until midnight tomorrow night.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “General Discussion”