Doctor Who

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Convict24603

Doctor Who

Postby Convict24603 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Doctor Who returns to UK and US screens on 23rd April 2010
Last edited by Convict24603 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Any Doctor Who fans here?

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 am

\o/

Oh there are lots of us here, don't worry. :lol: Including a good number who wait patiently for it to show up over here in the States. (Or not so patiently. Cough. ;))
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Lelia

Postby Lelia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 am

Ooh, there's a date. I've been wondering when it was coming back but by the time I get to the computer I've forgotten what I went to look up. Very excited, even though the trailer for the next series looked utterly terrifying. Plus there's the Comic Relief special to look forward to. :D
I too am impossible

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun May 01, 2011 2:31 am

Sooooooooo...

who's been watching Doctor Who so far this season? :D

I watched Day of the Moon a bit ago and--askjf;d.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

carotid

Postby carotid » Sun May 01, 2011 3:27 am

I have finally caved to the cultural practice of catching television shows when they air rather than doing my usual business of being at least half a year behind any serial televised trend... well, almost, since I don't have television in my apartment, so I get it for myself a bit later. (Saturday is the last day in my work week, so I'm generally pretty exhausted and seem to be forming a habit of watching it the next night.)

But yes, that is the long-form of saying that I am, indeed, watching this season. For the first two episodes, at least. We'll see how long I can maintain this kind of commitment! But I will undoubtedly be returning to keyboard smash at you tomorrow.
Look, Louis-Philippe, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but the Republic had the best French government of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun May 01, 2011 4:27 pm

carotid, I hear you--I've never been in a TV fandom before or even followed a TV show regularly, but Doctor Who has sucked me in completely. And the opening two-parter...... jakls;jaddf asdfjkl;weoipasdflk; WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun May 01, 2011 4:38 pm

THAT'S BECAUSE DOCTOR WHO IS AWESOME.

asdkfj; I'm not sure I even have words that I can describe this with. Only I am SO VERY GLEEFUL because it means that this series will actually have a real goddamn story. The crack in the universe was kind of a story, but THIS.

From what I am thinking, we saw the end of the story in the first episode, and now through all the rest of the episodes we will get some explanations and further plot of that same story until finally when the series is over later this year we will understand the whole thing. So I hate and adore Moffat at the same time because he is spinning a story that will leave me on tenterhooks probably for every episode, and be surprised by the "NEXT TIME..." floating across the screen. Because in every past series of new!Who thus far, there has been at least one or two episodes that I constantly check how much time is left because it either feels too long or the plot is dull and dragging. These two episodes are setting a tone and an example, and I'm pretty sure that it's going to end in some kind of explosion. Hopefully an awesome one.

This is probably the most obvious of guessing/speculation of the rest of series 6, but it makes sense to me. XD Also I don't think I've said anything spoilery, but, well.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Sun May 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Personally, I'm just glad that Moffat is going back to what he does best; scaring the crap out of the audience. There were some great scenes in the opener and the second ep that really ramped up the creepy factor, especially in the second episode. A couple of times I was reminded of the X Files (you know, back when it wasn't as convoluted.) I'm really looking forward to how this all turns out.

I was reading an interview with Karen Gillan where she said that we would finally find out what River Song's story was in the seventh episode. So, something else to look forward to (aside from pirates of course*).

*too spoiler-y?
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Bohemian Red Head

Postby Bohemian Red Head » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I just saw the first two epsiodes of the new season of Doctor Who last night! UH-MAY-ZING. :shock: and creepy as heck. I loved it! I have never seen any of the other episodes because I don't have cable and I can't find them online anywhere.

MmeEnjolras

Postby MmeEnjolras » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:19 pm

I have watched all of them up to season 6. The only way I know to get them online is to have Netflix and watch them on there. I'm currently waiting for season 6 in the mail. Dr. Who ROCKS! A little creepy sometimes, but I still love it! Matt Smith is so random and hilarious. I mean, really, pudding and fishsticks? :lol:

Convict24603

Postby Convict24603 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:28 am

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:27 pm

I've got a question to the Doctor Who experts here:

A friend of mien got me to watch Torchwood recently and seeing as I quite liked it, I'm now considering (once again) to start and watch Doctor Who. What's been putting me off so far (and still is a bit) is the fact that there are over 700 episodes! So, the question is: If I want to get the story do I really have to start at the very first episode and watch them all? Or where else is a good point to start watching?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:02 am

I think you can start at virtually any series opener and be able to pick things up fairly quickly. It's usually best, though, to start at the beginning of a given actor's "tenure" as the Doctor -- for instance, if you want to jump right into the episodes of Matt Smith, the current Doctor, I'd recommend starting at the beginning of series 5 (2010). Hope that helps!

And... wow, I just realized I'd never posted in this thread. Hi! *waves* I've been a fan of "Doctor Who" since they brought the show back in 2005, and have seen every episode since then. I'm also trying to get into the older episodes, which is a lot easier now that they've mostly been released on DVD. But sadly, my cable plan doesn't give me BBC America, so I have to wait for the DVDs to turn up on Netflix. (It's a pity I can't just choose individual channels for my cable plan -- then I could get rid of ESPN, Fox News, and all those stations I never watch, and just get the good stuff like BBC, NatGeo, and Syfy.)

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 am

Ok, thanks a lot!
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Clever_Dandy

Postby Clever_Dandy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:42 pm

W00t! Doctor Who!

I made my dad watch nearly the entire classic series with me. We made it to number seven.(Tom Baker and Paul Mcgann are my favorites)

I've also dressed up as 11 for my school photo. *whistles innocently* By the way, spoilers for the new season, but... http://nerdbastards.com/2012/07/30/seas ... t-foe-yet/

Return to “General Discussion”