Language learning

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
geminimimi

Re: Language learning

Postby geminimimi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Ohohoh I love learning languages! I'm fluent in English and Chinese, basic Malay and some Cantonese and French too! :D I've learnt English and Chinese since childhood -English and Chinese are mandatory in kindergarten all the way to secondary school in my country, so those are no-brainers. I'm currently taking Higher Chinese which sometimes makes me want to rip my own head off but I still overall love languages. It's just a wonderful feeling to converse in anything other than your mother tongue.

And one of the best advice to learn languages -god, my teachers have been drilling this into my head since forever- is to read, read, read. And practice. Yup. 真有用哦! :D
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Man, I wish I could learn a bunch of languages like that. Just learning French. And I used to take Latin. How do you all keep track of which ones are which? I'd love to learn more, and I might go back someday soon and try to relearn what Latin I've forgotten, as I found it pretty enjoyable and useful. But right now it's all mixed up in my head...

I think speaking French is a side effect of being a Mizzy.

Exactly! I think for a large portion of the Mizfit population, it's unavoidable. And it really actually helps you learn French! It does! Which is what I was trying to explain to my parents last night when my father found out I was printing 90 pages out of the printer... "It's lyrics, it helps me learn French! The Les Mis librettos! I carry it around every day in my backpack, but the old one for torn up!" I showed him, and but he couldn't stop laughing. >sigh<
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 pm

It's easier for me to learn all these languages because the country I live in has a splattering of Chinese, Malays, Indians and Eurasians. There's a bit of everything everywhere. So when I talk -the way I talk here and the way I talk to my friends in school or family is very different- I tend to use phrases in different languages. It's easy to distinguish languages when you're used to them, so yeah. :)

Learning Latin is so cool. I wish I could learn Latin too but between school and more school, there isn't much time. But what can you do with Latin? Besides confuddling with people who can't speak Latin, and maybe understanding some ancient texts. I'm always curious as to how people use all these ancient/exotic languages they've learnt.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:20 pm

That's cool. I wish I could hear languages like that all the time.

Well...I originally took Latin because I learned nothing all year with the Spanish teacher, and she was not fun to be in class with. So, I took Latin, and I found that while I'll probably never really speak it, it's a fantastic base for other languages, and for understanding your own better. You can kind of trace the roots of English in other languages, and there's a lot of Latin in it. For example, if I remember correctly, "frigidus" in Latin means "cold," kind of like our word "frigid." And in Latin, "to run" is "currit," which is slightly similar to the French "courir." So it's kind of woven itself through lots of languages, and often I think you can understand a language better if you know some of the origins of the words. Or maybe I'm just a geek. But we also use Latin terms in English, too. For example, in law, an "amicus brief" means "friend of the court." What does amicus mean in Latin? Friend. So there's lots of things like that, I guess, that really help you understand and remember things better, but of it's own you probably won't really use it. I just found it helpful in understanding other languages, I guess. And if I ever got good, yes, I would love to read some ancient texts. :D But I don't know if that will ever happen.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Bannik

Postby Bannik » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:34 am

If anyone's interested in learning Latin, allow me to pimp a rather interesting textbook I have. It's called LINGVA LATINA and it aims to teach the language without ever resorting to translation. The whole damn thing is in Latin. It starts you with "Roma in Italia est," and you have to infer the entire language from context. There are grammar lessons too, but they're all in Latin of course.

I can't exactly speak to the effectiveness of it since I was never terribly interested in Latin and got distracted three chapters in, but I seemed to be picking things up pretty well. Here's the Google Books preview if anyone wants to take a look.

AngesRadieux

Postby AngesRadieux » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 am

I love languages! I think music is the best way to learn. I love singing in French and most of my French vocabulary is from translating songs. I also recognize a bit of German and Italian from singing in those languages as well. However, I pay much more attention to French music, so I've gained more knowledge of that language. Plus, I find France in general more fascinating than Italy or Germany so I'm a little more motivated to pick up French.

But, singing definitely does help. Especially because I'm spectacularly lazy and I hate picking up the German-English or Italian-English dictionaries to translate songs word for word and I didn't always have my laptop on hand when I needed to know a translation. So I muddled through what I could through searching for familiar words and looking at context to avoid having to go through the dictionary. xD Especially since I have one book of German music where the spellings are all kind of antiquated and I couldn't find a lot of the words in my German dictionary. So, yeah... I ended up picking up vocab words out of sheer laziness.

It's also easier because I understand the structure of words in the languages I sing in. I had to study all the rules of diction, so if you put a French, German, or Italian text in front of me I can pronounce it on sight with very minimal mistakes. Having that knowledge makes it easier to pick out words for me. Especially in French where a sentence can sometimes sound like a single word because of the way some words are linked together.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 pm

I know this is a super old thread that i'm reviving but here goes ;)

I'm a native speaker of English, fluent in French, uhh bad in Polish, intermediate in Latin and beginner in German and Russian.

Wasn't planning on learning French, but the lingusitics professor at my university thought i'd be really good in French so I gave it a try, loved it, interned in Paris (and now I want to go back so badly! I miss it every day)

I have a few embarrassing stories of when I started-
one time I accidentally told my host that "she" smelled instead of my cheese smelled. I apologized and we laughed. Don't ask how I got those mixed up since I seriously don't even remember what I was thinking :shock:

and this was more awkward, I was speaking in French and some guy was like "I don't speak English, I don't like foreigners" and I responded "I'm speaking in French, you can't recognize your own language?" That was weird, especially since most people responded to me in French when I spoke French, although I did have those people who wanted to practice English and that was annoying since I wanted to do French. Living in France for 3 months really helped to improve my accent. The vast majority of people in France were super awesome and helpful.

Polish I took as part of a foreign language challenge I got, and I kept it up because it was useful for my international relations classes. I did notice people tend to flirt with me more when I speak Polish and its weird :roll:

German and Russian I'm doing just here and there because I have some friends who are fluent. I did try to ask a Russian lady something, but apparently I pronounced the words exactly like Polish so she was like "huh??" since I learned Russian mainly from reading.

I took Latin in Middle School and still can read alot of it.

I took Spanish in High School but never really did anything with it.

So in Switzerland, I had a guy my age approach me and say something in German. I responded in French that I can't speak German. He continued (in French) "oh good one, aren't you coming to the study group tomorrow?" and I'm like "I'm from the US, I'm not from here" and he was really convinced I was a local girl :oops:

Thank you for the Polish Grammar in a nutshell!! <3 I needed that! I've got the pronounciation down, but the grammar is annoying.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Are there any minority languages from France that would be very helpful for somebody studying the French Revolution or the June Rebellion?

For the June Rebellion I have a feeling my Polish may come in handy (kind of... )

Also forgot to add i'm doing Ukrainian for current events reasons.

My Jehan friend is starting to recruit everybody we mutually know into our intensive language challenge. It really makes me happy to read Robespierre's texts in the original French, they sound so much better than the translations!
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 pm

I’m not sure which other languages would have been commonly spoken in France during the Revolution/Terror/Rebellion eras... Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

Just got back from New Zealand, and I love how the indigenous Maori language is so ingrained in daily life there — most museum displays, guidebooks, and even many street signs include both English and Maori text, and the schools there seem to be doing a great job in teaching both languages. I wish Hawaii could be that involved with the Hawaiian language... We consider it an official state language by law, but there aren’t many resources available in Hawaiian for those who want them. And our primary schools teach a bit of Hawaiian to younger kids, but it rarely gets beyond counting to ten or naming basic colors unless the kid actively chooses to take Hawaiian classes later on. :(

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Quiero aprender espanol pero tengo acento muy malo. Estoy avergonzada. Francais, non, too much difference between spelling and pronunciation.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “General Discussion”