What are you reading?

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby CeridwenLynne » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Catching Fire. :D

I've finally discovered the Hunger Games series. I had a negative opinion of these books and movies for a long time. I always thought " why read about or watch a bunch of kids killing each other? We hear enough of this on the news anyway?" But a friend of mine kept insisting that I watch the first movie so I gave in and watched one night. I was immediately hooked.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:44 am

Right now I'm reading and analyzing Washington Irving's legend of Sleepy Hollow.
Pancakes are life.

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Currently reading War and Peace. It's brilliant, of course, but I'm having trouble keeping all of the characters straight. :oops:
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

macko88

Postby macko88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Two books. Polish author Mariusz Szczygieł and his "Gottland". And I love Czechows "Stories". Good coffee, good books - an ideal evening!

Lord Jon Connington

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:49 am

The Truth, or rather, I should be if I weren't lazy.

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:22 am

I'm on a queer book kick right now. I just finished Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden and am about to start Huntress by Malinda Lo
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Lord Jon Connington

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:44 am

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I'm loving the show so I got the book. Definitely recommending both, it's Napoleonic era with magic.

Postby 23623 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:18 am

A thread to discover good books :D I'm reading The English Patient now.
After finishing it I'm going to re-read Les Mis. That is my next answer to this thread and will stay for a long time.
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Ugh, far too many books to name at this point. I'm working my way through the Johannes Cabal books -- currently on the second one, "Johannes Cabal, The Detective," which I highly recommend. I was initially drawn to Cabal because he reminded me of Combeferre, until of course, you realize he's not much like Combeferre, but by then you're already into the book and enjoying it. Great reads, first one is "Johannes Cabal, the Necromancer."
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:36 am

... and in timely response to that last post: the Fall of the House of Cabal, the fifth and allegedly last book, just came out and I have just finished it and it was wonderful.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Currently reading Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (and Les Mis, of course). I read a translation into my native language about 6 or 7 years ago, out of curiosity, but didn't actually understand anything. Now reading it again in English for class. I have a German version as well and I really really wish I could read it. Sadly all of my German knowledge comes from musicals and it's obviously not going to help. :mrgreen:
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:25 pm

The Idiot by Dostoevski. I like it that in this forum I don't come off as a snob for reading classics.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:47 am

Finished The Idiot. Now working on The French Revolution (Carlyle) and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Update. Finished The French Revolution. Wow. What a time.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 am

Finished The French Revolution and The Count of Monte Cristo. The three books (including LM) shed light on each other, for instance I wouldn't have known what the Mountain was without reading FR, or what a Septembrist was, which old Gillenormand called Marius.

COMC or is it TCOMC anyway the book is totally lightweight compared to LM, and also the story is not as edifying. Edmond's revenge gets really out of hand. Compare that to Jean Valjean's actions to improve people's lives. Of course Jean sees himself as a guilty person, even if outrageously over-punished for his crime, whereas Edmond was totally innocent. I am writing this while fatigued so maybe not making much sense.

Starting on The Brothers Karamazov is that how you spell it? Geez I am tired.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Hurray for Russian lit! I'm probably going to fall back onto War and Peace around Christmastime. There's something about curling up all warm in the window and reading about Pierre and Natasha and Andrei with the snow falling all nice in the background that brings so much happiness to my life.

In the meantime, I'm working my way through The Wise Man's Fear. It's the sequel to the Name of the Wind, which was excellent and I strongly recommend it to anyone who is into fantasy. Great read, very nail-biting. Both books have been circulating the crew for the show I'm working on, and I feel super obligated to finish as quickly as possible to put them back into rotation. The whole thing is a cruel joke from the art department: apparently there is meant to be a third book, but Patrick Rothfuss has been George R. R. Martin-ing for the past couple years and it's still not out yet, so they want the rest of us to suffer in anticipation as well. So far, it's worth it!

Return to “General Discussion”