What are you reading?

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Trompe-la-Mort

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 pm

I was half-way joking when I said that about Les Mis fans finding books boring. Sorry that this didn't come through. One of the books I myself found most boring was the "Lord of the rings"-trilogy. and why? Because of the endless descriptions...

I didn't have an interest in French history before picking up Les Mis or in Russian history before reading Anna Karenina and Notes from the House of the dead either, so maybe you can get an interest in Russian history from that book. I hope you do manage, because I think it's worth a read.
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Currently I'm switching between my 3volume edition of the novel, "LOTR", "Barricades"..whatever falls into my hands at a given time. Oh yeah, and a book about the exploration of the moon-after the author(German astronomist and planetary expert) gave me a kind reply to an email. I love space exploration. *currently drives on Mars onboard Curiosity*
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

MllePatrie
Location: In rainy old England...but I'd rather be in Paris 1832

Postby MllePatrie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:18 pm

The Hetty Feather trilogy by Jaqueline Wilson.

Because, deep down, I'm a big kid. :P
"Citizens," cried Enjolras, and in his voice there was almost an angry tremor, "the Republic is not rich enough in men to incur useless expenditures."

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:38 pm

I absolutely loved Jacqueline Wilson as a kid. Her and Roald Dahl were my favourites. I would still gladly read them now.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Gaby Matz

Postby Gaby Matz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 pm

As a kid I loved Lemony Snicket, though I was kinda bummed when A Series of Unfortunate Events ended with such an anticlimatic end.

I loved Narnia, but yeah, Susan didn't make it :|

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:08 am

Wait... Does Susan die? Anyway, I cannot stand Lord of the Rings. It bores me to death.
Anyway, I'm reading Les Mis and "Merlin: the Lost Years". It's really good, too.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 am

enjolraslesunicorn wrote:Wait... Does Susan die?
...Er....more of the opposite, actually. And imma make you read it to find out what I mean :twisted: Or google, but that's cheating :wink:

Currently: Dodger ( published Charles Dickens fanfiction), Same Kind of Different as Me, and Nicholas Nickleby.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Dodger by Terry Pratchett? Is it any good?

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Yes and yes. It's pretty easy to tell that the intended audience was/is probably less 13 years old, but it's pretty good. Only major complaint is how random some of the events are, but there's usually a half-decent explanation most of the time. Hope this helps :D

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Yes, thanks a lot. Going on my Christmas wish list... ;)

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 pm

I've started reading A Game of Thrones and I'm absolutely addicted.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

Jean Gringoire

Postby Jean Gringoire » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:00 am

Re-reading Toilers of the Sea, and not taking it nearly as seriously as I did when I first read it.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Is the Rose Mary Edmonds translation of Anna Karenina fairly accurate, anyone? I know she does some playing with the names, but is the rest fairly close?

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Currently War and Peace, The Count of Monte Cristo, and then this book I have to read for class, called "The Ground Is Burning." I kind of hate the last one so far, even though I'm twenty pages in. :? And, unfortunately, I don't have much time to read because of school and Christmas, and the like, but ah, well, I suppose they'll just be on my list for a while, then. I'll get around to it soon enough. :wink:

Sorry, Gervais, I don't know anything about that translation. But good luck reading Anna Karenina!
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gaby Matz

Postby Gaby Matz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 am

I'm reading Oliver Twist, and then A Christmas Carol, and then David Copperfield, and then Great Expectations. Yes, I bought the Charles Dickens book. :D

Return to “General Discussion”