What are you reading?

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Enjolvert

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:02 am

Been reading the Hunger Games lately which I've just finished. Really enjoyed them.
The law is unjust.

Jondrette

Postby Jondrette » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:35 am

I'm going to finish Les Misérables, and now that I have been immersed in 19th century period stories, I find that I cannot now leap to a different time period or genre now. When reading Les Mis, I was struck by how similar elements in the story were to Charles Dickens's writing, and now I find that a good branching off from Les Mis would be to go back to Dickens and read.. Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, and Our Mutual Friend.

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 pm

I have a TON of books coming in soon, so I'm trying to finish the Song of Ice and Fire book I'm on now and make some more headway on Strangers: Homosexual Love in the 19th Century (which is totally relevant research okay). Though I have The Prince, a Rasputin biography and a stack of comics sitting here too that don't really take priority...
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 am

Recently finished Mansfield Park, currently reading Dorian Grey and Père Goriot!

Joly

Postby Joly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:46 pm

At the minute I'm reading
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation << If you're going to read it, I think this is the best translation)

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Lemony Snicket)

Hardboiled: An Anthology of American Crime Stories
36 sublimely suspenseful stories that chronicle the evolutiuon of this quintessentially American art form, from its earliest beginnings during the Golden Age of the legendary pulp magazine Black Mask in the 1920s, to the arrival of the tough digest Manhunt in the 1950s, and finally leading up to present-day hard-boiled stories

and a few others as and when i feel like it.

Jolllly
Here's to witty girls who went to our beds.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Currently reading Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. Soon to be rereading Les Mis again so I can join in the readthrough :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

saminana

Postby saminana » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm reading or going to read in the next few weeks:
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- Les Mis
- different books that have to do with communism... (in East Germany, Czechoslovakia...)
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

simosax24601

Postby simosax24601 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm reading La catedral del mar by Ildefonso Falcones. My next book will be The man who laughs by Hugo <3
It will come, citizens, that day when all shall be concord, harmony, light, joy and life; it will come, and it is so that it may come that we are going to die.

We strive towards a larger goal! Our little lives don't count at all!

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:19 am

Joly wrote:At the minute I'm reading
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation << If you're going to read it, I think this is the best translation)

I have also started War and Peace. I am mainly reading it to show off tbh :P , good book though.
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:25 am

simosax24601 wrote:I'm reading La catedral del mar by Ildefonso Falcones. My next book will be The man who laughs by Hugo <3

Ooh, I just started The Man who Laughs. :mrgreen: Loving it so far.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:03 pm

I just recently started The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever :) So far I like it. I'm rereading The Book of Three(from The Chronicles of Prydain) and I'm reading Sherlock Holmes and The Invention of Hugo Cabret
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

Joly

Postby Joly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:36 am

How are you finding War and Peace? The princess had her baby, the real royal baby was born at the same time for me. I've already been anxious, laughed, cried and felt gentleness towards the young lovers. It's an amazing book!

Every summer in the park is a silent film accompanied by the world-renown silent film pianist Neil Brand. One year it was The Man Who Laughs. Amazing story.
Here's to witty girls who went to our beds.

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:52 am

-Les Mis for the second time
-The New Penguin Book of Love Poetry
-Dorian Grey for the second time because I was too young when I first read it and I think I will appreciate it much better now
-Tale of Two cities (the exams ruined it for me :( I started it in May during that period and stopped it when things had to finally get serious, resulting in relating it to those horrible days and abandoning it for months. I really hope I will manage to get back to it because it's excellent).
-The Fall by Albert Camus
-K.P.Kavafis' poetic anthology (one of the biggest Greek poets)
-a book with Baudelaire's poems
It really doesn't feel wise to read so many books at the same time. :( I'll probably mess it all up but I can't help it.
Oh and my boyfriend bought me The Man who Laughs and I hope I'll finish everything else soon to get down on it.
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:19 pm

I am rereading Atlas Shrugged for the fourth time. I love, love, love that book.

I think I'm going to go back and reread a lot of the books I had to read in school. (Great Gatsby, Brothers Karamzov, Dracula). I think I might appreciate them more now.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

femtaire

Postby femtaire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:48 pm

- Les Mis. In Finnish. It seemed to be longer project than I first thought... But I will do it, first in Finnish, then in English.
- Phantom of the Opera. I think I don't have to explain why. I bought the book from Waterstone's, London. :wink: <3

.... Ken Follett's the Pillars of the Earth is on progress. And three books about the Borgias (including Lucrezia Borgias biography).
i will follow you into the dark

Return to “General Discussion”