Coincidences related to Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Coincidences related to Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Gervais wrote:
R the Cynic wrote:Ok here's another coincidence- I was walking around outside, and just when I start singing ALFOR it starts raining..... :shock:

Éponine. :wink:

Posted in the Cafe, but it fits better here, so forgive me for saying the same thing twice.
I was going through my closet, and found a somewhat ugly black dress with a white lace collar (and front) from when I was about 8. Which isn't too bad, until you consider that I found it close to one of my dolls. The one that's named Catherine.

Saw this just now, Gervais. That's creepy but awesome.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:53 pm

:shock: That's pretty crazy.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 pm

I was in rehabilitation medicine/physiatry class today and our lecturer was describing musculoskeletal problems such as tendonitis in the hands. She asked us if we remembered an old mnemonic from our first year days: Apollo ex pobre.

It took me some time to remember that she was referring to the muscles abductor pollicis longus and extensor pollicis brevis (muscles that help extend the thumb). :lol: :lol: :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Was in the school library today and Saw a lovely looking copy of Les Misérables, Millenium Library edition. Contrary the forum's name for it, it isn't that big lol. Anyway, I opened the copy, and of course, it has been checked out a grand total of 0 times. :roll: :roll:
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:44 am

AJ discovered this one: The full version of A Very Potter Musical on YouTube runs for two hours, forty-six minutes, and one second. Or, 2:46:01. :D :D
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 am

Today we had a report series that no one was really looking forward to. While waiting for the teachers to show up, one of the guys in my class sauntered into the room singing DYHTPS. Loudly. Not even half a minute later, the fire alarm went off. Report series effectively postponed!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 pm

So I just read something on tumblr. Not official confirmation, but considering other references through the show, it would make sense.

Terrance and Phillip from South Park were apparently named after Terrence Mann and Philip Quast :shock:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 am

Ha, that would makes sense! I've heard that before, Acaila, but I also heard that they were named for Terence and Plautus, though that one could be wrong. Either way, kinda cool.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 am

So today our President/zombie in power is giving his State of the Nation Address.

Not surprisingly there are barricades again. Just found out from my mom that one of my cousins is on the barricade/on the stage....pretty much doing an Enjolras. It's not going well. :?

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:31 pm

The Russian poem I'm translating right now is about Andre Chenier; I'll link it here when I'm done, I think. Good stuff so far.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Oh dear....

the situation in the Philippines sounds awful... I'll try not to complain about Obama and the IRS again :roll:

I hope all goes well!
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

saminana

Postby saminana » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm

freedomlover wrote:Oh dear....

the situation in the Philippines sounds awful... I'll try not to complain about Obama and the IRS again :roll:

I hope all goes well!

That is the same I wanted to say....
My problems with Bernese finance policy seem just so small now.... :?
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:46 pm

The update: demonstration broken up, several detainees. Fortunately my cousin isn't among the detainees but he spent the whole night trying to make sure that the students who got detained were released.

All of this over a rather lackluster, aimless State of the Nation Address that literally dissed all the sectors protesting outside.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Bad follow up post to the events described before of a far more dramatic nature, but anyhow...

I'm a cycling sports fan and despite the doping scandals, I keep watching the Tour de France. This year was special because it was the 100th tour. One stage was held in the Savoy area, and when the commentators told some history about the region, they mentioned that in the past this region was extremely poor and children, boys, were sent by their parents to Paris to work as chimneysweeps...
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

It wasn't a coincidence as such, since it was fully intentional, but I've just been watching the final of Only Connect, and one of the questions featured the clue "Marius' solo in Les Misérables" (the answer was empty chairs). Was super excited about it. The question master said he'd been formulating it for a while and that was the last clue he needed - he'd never seen Les Mis until recently because his mum had loathed it in the 90s!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “General Discussion”