Coincidences related to Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Coincidences related to Les Mis

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:34 am

I went to my favorite cafe last night, where part of the entertainment consisted of what we call "salin-awit": songs translated into Filipino. These clever translations were all courtesy of a great poet, Pete Lacaba.

Last night he brought the songbook. One of the ladies jamming with the band decided to sing "I Dreamed a Dream." In Filipino. I felt the pain of the song even more than ever.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:59 am

Another Éponine coincidence...I was outside planting flowers in my Éponine trench coat, kind of humming ALFOR under my breath, when it starts raining! It wouldn't be that creepy but-rain will make the flowers grow!
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm

So yesterday, we had a couple of long gaps between lectures, and most of my classmates just hung out in the cafeteria at our campus. Somehow, the subject of Les Mis came up around the four of us at the end of the table (these things do happen when I have a chance to steer things in that direction). So of the three others I was speaking with, one of them has up until now been working at a stage school with a former West End Enjolras. Another is close friends since drama school with one of the barricade boys in the movie, who was also at the Oscars performance. Yay theatre!
(the final person likes the movie and seemed a bit bemused by my violent reaction to the mention of Alfie Boe. So no real educating necessary)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 am

So I went to school today even though I was sick all night....and it was worth it. We have this interbatch competition going on, and part of it involved shooting videos surrounding 'city themes': we third year students were assigned to the Parisian theme. Today my class was asked to shoot a segment that involves us breaking out into "Do You Hear the People Sing?" during an exam. My classmates asked me to do the part of Courfeyrac for the song. :D :D :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:17 am

So I was emptying the dishwasher and putting knife, fork and spoon into a bag when I burst out into "took the silver, took my fliiiiiiiiight". :D
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

One of the mini lessons given in a workshop class today involved working on a budget for a school show (the point was to relate drama and numeracy). My group were supposed to be doing an imaginary production of Oliver which was just what the teacher came up with, but I noticed another group had suggested Les Mis! I desperately want to know which of my classmates came up with that!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

unamariah

Postby unamariah » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm

C'mon people, don't let the thread die. :(

I get all giggly whenever I remember that 'E' and 'R' are next to each other on the keyboard.
My mom was counting all of the kids in my family, and she went, '2,4,6'. Guess who added in 'OHH ONE!!!!'

saminana

Postby saminana » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:48 pm

We have English test tomorrow. So I was reading in our grammar book and there I found the following example:
He looked as if he had seen a ghost

:D
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:11 am

I saw a performance of The Threepenny Opera by Brecht and Weill tonight.

In case you've never seen it, it's a musical from the 1920s with German cabaret-style songs and much discussion of poverty, crime and human nature. I was reminded of Les Mis every few minutes, not only because of the general motifs but similar character types such as an urchin running around with a group of guys, a tough police inspector, whores... and probably more but the play was so disappointing that I couldn't be bothered analysing it in depth.

Anyway, one of the main characters came into the whorehouse and warned the women that she'd set the police on one of their clients who was a bandit (after whom the song 'Mack the Knife' is named; this is the play it comes from) and then she said something like 'good night, lovely ladies!' I half expected them all to break into a familiar song :lol:

This would have been fun enough for any Mizzy, but then at intermission while reading the programme I made a discovery about one of the actresses playing a main character, Mrs Peachum (I'd really like to say it was the 'lovely ladies' woman herself but this production was so hard to follow that I can't remember and the internet synopses aren't much help). This actress was none other than Jackie Marks, who, I read, had been in the Les Mis OLC, TAC, 25AC and musical movie. I didn't recognise her picture initially and thought maybe she'd been in the ensemble, but after the last act I identified her voice as that of the Factory Girl, vaguely thinking she must have been on the OLC. Then I realised she looked rather like the Factory Girl in the TAC too. I checked and was correct on both counts! She also played Fantine and Mme T in London in 86 and 08/09 respectively.

A nice surprise! (and she was brilliant, in fact the whole cast were very talented indeed, but something was off for much of the first act unfortunately in terms of direction and energy not to mention audibility and the choreography was non-existent)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:54 am

Jackie Marks was in the movie? I didn't know that actually.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:11 am

She played an "Ensemble Factory Woman" according to IMDb.

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah, there's an extra part on the DVD of the movie dedicated to the "Relations with West End", and actually there's many people who acted in stage and acted in the film aswell :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Funnily enough, since I had seen most of them perform it live in the West End myself, I had just about noticed the proliferation of London Mizzies in the film ;) I just didn't know Jackie was in it specifically.

Thanks for that Alouette :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm experiencing this in reverse, seeing West End actors in the film and then recognising them in shows, though not exactly live...yet. I'm still wondering where Nancy Sullivan is in the docks scene though.

No problem ;)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:55 pm

I think she might have tweeted some pictures of her in her movie costume so that might help :). As I recall, she's not one of the easier Mizzies to spot in that scene.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “General Discussion”