Coincidences related to Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
JeanneProuvaire

Coincidences related to Les Mis

Postby JeanneProuvaire » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:38 am

Okay, I just turned on the radio, and what should I hear but "Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas!
Judy Kuhn!

So this thread is for coincidences relating to Les Misérables. For example, I randomly ran into Michael Maguire last night. He told me that I was stupid. (laughs) Not true on either count. Just an example.
Vive l'avenir! Vive la France!

"Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age." -Victor Hugo

JeanneProuvaire

Postby JeanneProuvaire » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:37 am

Same radio station, and I recognized the last chord of "A Heart Full of Love." I recognized Ruffelle (not bad for a second's work, eh?) so I surmise that it was probably OLC or OBC.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:56 am

Know how Megaupload makes you type an annoying three-digit confirmation code to prove you're not a bot before it'll let you download the file?

Once I was downloading some highly illegal LM bootleg or another and the code it gave me was 'MIZ.'
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:40 am

Okay, so I went to a Pearl Jam concert in May. Probably one of the best experiences of my life, let me tell you. Anyway, for those of you who aren't familiar with the band, they like to do a lot of charity work, a lot of philanthropic stuff. Anyway, at this show I went to, they were promoting The Innocence Project. Basically, the Innocence Project uses DNA evidence to prove the innocence of some people who've been convicted and imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit. Ed had some of these people come onstage and sing Last Kiss with the band.

One of the guys was a Philly/Jersey local, and Ed introduced him by saying, "He was in prison for nineteen years and has just been freed..."

First thought? "Oh, hey, it's Valjean!" *faceplant* Even at a Pearl Jam concert, I can't escape Les Mis. XD
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

duva

Postby duva » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:48 pm

A couple of years ago, I was bored at a late summer's night and watching telly to cure my boredom rather than doing the clever thing and going to bed. I'd been watching the TAC I think (or something not-so-legal; either way it was Les Mis) but then wasn't tired so flicked through the channels. Seinfeld was on, and I've seen maybe 10 episodes of that in all my life... I wasn't planning on watching it or anything, but nothing else was on, and guess what episode it was? The one where George goes to see Les Mis and then spends the rest of the episode humming "Master of the House".

Mademoiselle Lanoire

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Sitting in an airport boarding area. Didn't really notice the muzak in the background until I heard an instrumental IDAD playing.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:35 pm

Oh man, that happened to me. It was at some fancy restaurant for some relative's birthday, and I realized the muzak on the stereo was a schmaltzy piano arrangement of 'On My Own.' (Then I cocked my head to stare at the speakers, and my cousins all listened and cracked up because my uncle has been drilling musical theater into their heads since they were wee.)

Also amusing: wandering around campus right after a big snow melt with the CSR on my headphones. I crossed the bridge over the swollen, dangerous-looking river right as Javert launches himself into the Seine.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

duva

Postby duva » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:26 am

How about this: I was waiting for a bus whilst listening to a Final Battle on my iPod and the one that showed up was the LM one. I was all giggly. Hahaha such a dork.

JeanneProuvaire

Postby JeanneProuvaire » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:37 am

It was raining when I got back from work... just now, actually...
And I sang ALL of ALFOR walking back to my dorm.

Cloudy This Morning

Postby Cloudy This Morning » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:27 am

I remember watching the Daily Show a long time ago when the Tom DeLay scandal broke, and Jon Stewart had up a big picture captioned 'DeLay Misérables' with DeLay's head colored in the style of little Cosette. I giggled for half an hour.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 am

Damn. It's times like that I miss watching The Daily Show.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

regularvoltaire

Postby regularvoltaire » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 am

on the Colbert Report, Stephen was covering the Iranian president's visit to the US for the U.N. general assembly-- he was rattling off suggestions for the esteemed leaders visit. I quote (incorrectly):
"We may be trying to stop your nuclear enrichment, but there's no reason you can't partake in some cultural enrichment! See Les Misérables (queue logo image) it will remind you of your own glorious revolution (queue logo image with little Cosette in a burqua) except in this revolution, you can sing"

regularvoltaire

Postby regularvoltaire » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:58 am

incidentally, this was right after I read an article about a Tehran production of LM :)

Cloudy This Morning

Postby Cloudy This Morning » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:58 am

Do you by chance remember what day this was?

regularvoltaire

Postby regularvoltaire » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:23 am

sometime last month, I think.

Return to “General Discussion”