Coincidences related to Les Mis

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Prisoner 24653

Re: Coincidences related to Les Mis

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I had two at a shopping mall yesterday... First, at Macy's, I saw a sign advertising a brand of perfume. The slogan on the sign (or perhaps the name of the perfume itself) was "Le Grand Jour," making me feel tempted to start singing it. :lol:

Later on, I was walking around the mall and noticed a sign advertising the Pacific Buddhist Academy. The sign featured a student with the slogan, "I strive toward a different goal." Different from the line in the show, but not too far off!

EDIT: I also remembered one from a couple of years ago. I was in the Venetian Resort in Las Vegas back when Phantom was there. After the show one night, my friends and I were walking through the building, heading back to our car. We noticed a jewelry shop called "Le Grand Jewels." And that time, we did start singing it since no one else was around (as it was close to midnight). :twisted:

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Our Duke of Edinburgh walk started in a place called Nomansland, and there were a few restaurants there. One of them had a French flag outside and a sign that looked like it had little Cosette on it. I even thought in my drowsy, been-up-since-four, bleary state that is said "Les Misérables" on the sign. Upon looking it up when I got home, it was called "Les Mirabelles", so it wasn't that Mizzy at all, but at least I now know there's a reasonably nice-looking French restaurant in the middle of nowhere!

Also, Barry James was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I went to see it.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Vignetta

Postby Vignetta » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 am

I've been volunteering at a Girl Scout summer camp for the past couple years, and this year's theme is musical theatre. (my fantasizing must have paid off... )

Anyway I just got the hat and shirt I'm supposed to wear and they are no other color than red and black, respectively!

I'm probably going to have way too much fun with this and sing show tunes all the time and teach my campers a Phantom of the Opera version of the mafia game.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:57 pm

There's a Phantom version of Mafia??!!??

I just did a work camp/mission trip, and one of my crew leaders looked so amazingly liked my headcanon of Enjolras. :shock: Didn't act like him, besides from being in charge, but still.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Vignetta

Postby Vignetta » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:07 pm

There isn't really a Phantom mafia, I just made up a killing free version for my second grade campers. :lol:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:38 am

Cool. :D How would it go, though?

And one more: Another man I worked with is a prison warden whose life story is almost a modern Jean Valjean. He didn't go to prison or adopt a worker's daughter, but still.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Vignetta

Postby Vignetta » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 pm

In Phantom mafia no one is killed, only scared away from the Opera Populaire. Also, the Persian is the nurse and Raoul is the policeman.

thedeadareright

Postby thedeadareright » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:55 pm

So, about a 2 months ago I saw a truck for something called ABC tucking company that, on top of everything else, was red, white and blue. Also, when I went to the smithsonian over the summer they had piece of the Bastille. And, I visited some cousins of mine over the summer, who, coincidentally were in a production of Les Mis at the time, which resulted in moments like my cousin randomly singing Drink with Me and Look Down.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:18 am

On my local TV news this morning, they had a feature on memorable moments from the Oscars in previous years, to gear up for tomorrow's show. Among the bits they featured was the "One Day More" performance with the film cast at the 2013 ceremony. Not one of the best performances of the song I've heard, but it was a great moment that I think it'll be hard to equal on the Oscars for quite a while (unless, say, the Into the Woods film cast does something major like the Prologue from that show -- doubtful since it's not up for Best Picture, but hey... I can dream). :lol:

Darkhorse

Postby Darkhorse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Half a co-incidence? I could tell which actor was playing Saint Just in a video for my French Revolution class because he looked like Karimloo's enjolras. :roll: :?

Ilargi

Postby Ilargi » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Today I was watching a game show on TV and one of the questions was: According to a study from the University of Durham, men who are dressed in red are perceived as… a) more attractive; b) more aggressive. No need to say who I thought of and what option I would have picked. But apparently the right answer was B. :?

One year ago I felt like I was experiencing a bad real-life parody of Les Mis. In June, the king of Spain abdicated and that summer there were a lot of republican demonstrations throughout Spain, in which I took part. We didn't achieve anything, but luckily it was all peaceful, so there were no casualties to regret. The thing is that in one of those demonstrations, a man (not really young, not a student and definitely not godlike handsome) gave out some sheets that included the lyrics of some "republican songs", which we were supposed to sing along. In fact, most of the songs had no political meaning, but they had been chosen because apparently they were very popular during the Second Spanish Republic. The problem was that no one but that man and his friends knew the melody of the songs, so the rest of us couldn't sing along and they had to do it alone, which both sad and ridiculous (and I was thinking: "If they all knew Do you hear the people sing?...", because those lyrics perfectly fitted the situation, even in the Spanish translation, except for the references to death and blood).

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:05 am

I recently saw a display at a school with a bunch of "Who Am I?" assignments - something teachers in this corner of the world love to do every year to "get to know you better". Essentially you think of anything you can say about yourself, your family, hobbies, interests, etc and write and/or draw it out. I HATED these assignments when I was in school. So passing by those made me think how glad I am I don't have to do them anymore. And then I thought, If I could go back in time after seeing Les Mis, I would cover the assignment with strings of "24601" just to annoy the teacher.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Postby 23623 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:00 am

I don't know if they count as coincidence, strictly speaking. But I feel like sharing them anyway :D

1. Last semester there was a girl in my class called Angie. I couldn't help laughing whenever my teacher called her name in class. Just imagine your teacher asks Enjolras to answer questions by calling his nickname :lol:

2. Also last semester the 2012 movie was made the required material by a course. Thanks to that, all of my friends in that course suddenly started watching Les Miz as an assignment. I had a lot of fun reading their posts about the film and for the first time ever since I became a mizzie, I felt understood :wink: But it was a pity that I failed to further introduce anyone into musical theater.

*EDIT (Feb. 05, 2016)* This has just happened to me and I'm trying so hard not to laugh while writing...
So, I have a friend who is a crazy fan of Japanese anime, a field I've never stepped into. The other day he posted several pictures on the Internet and asked 'could anyone please tell me whether the blurred poster at the corner is the portrait of Cosette?' You will never know how shocked I was upon seeing this -- I had absolutely no idea why he was suddenly asking that question since he had no knowledge of Les Mis at all! So I asked him in disbelief 'well, you know Cosette?' and he replied in even greater disbelief 'wait what? YOU know Cosette?'
It took me so long to finally figure out that the picture he was referring to was not 'the portrait of Cosette', but the poster of a Japanese anime...the title of which is exactly 'THE PORTRAIT OF COSETTE'! :lol:
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “General Discussion”