Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
deHavilland

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby deHavilland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Katie Hall and Killian Donnelly as Fantine and Valjean makes me feel old as heck.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 pm

My first thought when seeing Katie as Fantine was "Isn't she too young? She's like 20-23" Then I realised that she's 28, and that made me feel old af. Still in denial that I'm also in my late twenties.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 pm

15 years after my service time in the German army I got curious how combat rations have developed since then. If you got any cheap sources for your country's rations I'd be delighted. So far I have current German, US, UK and French rations to test. Like a tasty tour around the world. Or not so tasty. :D
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Oooh, very cool. In Canada, we call them IMPs: individual meal pack. Very Canadian in that there's even a poutine one. Gross.

What gets me is that three meals = 3600 calories which is SO MANY. Active military service is a good workout.

I know you can order some from here: https://mremountain.com/
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Ha, I've seen that poutine IMP being reviewed. It sounded alot better described than being seen and eaten. :D IMP's are kinda funky, looking like lunch bags and you get three per day. MREmountain is, sadly, not cheap for taste tests. As example I got my much sought after French rations for 10€ each.

Yeah something about 3000-3600 calories seems to be the norm for combat rations. And yeah, you need them when you have a tough day out in the field...there's a Russian mountain ration which contains 5000 calories of food!

Fun fact: the Italian ration is the only one worldwide containing alcohol.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm really surprised the Russians aren't slipping vodka into theirs. Fortification, you know?

So in your experience, have combat rations developed for the better since you served?

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 pm

deHavilland wrote:I'm really surprised the Russians aren't slipping vodka into theirs. Fortification, you know?

So in your experience, have combat rations developed for the better since you served?

I've read many stories about older French rations actually containing a small bottle of wine, however I've never seen proof of that and consider it a myth.

So far I've only looked into the recent German one, and for that it's a definite yes. Back then you had three types available, nowadays it's up to 12 or even more. Lots of changes at the moment. The most recent ones I got were from 2014 and 2016, and even in these two years things were changed and added. You get more snacks and cereal/energy bars, a wider variety of main entrees and travel lunch muesli and desserts.
But have a look, this is the contents of a 2015 German combat ration: http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/download/ ... &mode=view
I would have been more happy in the field with the current one.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 pm

I mentioned this to our craft server on set and she said that her mother was caught in one of the hurricanes that hit down south within the past couple of years and the Red Cross went around handing out MREs to everyone. She (the craft server) has a couple that she keeps in her car in case she gets caught in a blizzard.

But she's had them for several years now. And if she gets caught in a blizzard, I don't know how she's going to do the whole "just add hot water" thing. But better safe than sorry, I guess?

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 pm

It's not a bad idea to use MREs or other combat rations as a food stockpile. They have compact size, a long shelf life and contain enough food to get you through two days with one ration easily.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:00 pm

After watching several reviews on yt I need to try out a Canadian IMP, their entrees look amazing. Especially the shepherd's pie and the smoked meat menus. Havvy if you could hook me up with one I would be very grateful. If possible.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:35 am

Hmm, if I can I will. Just need to figure out where I'd get one from! Maybe an army surplus.

Return to “General Discussion”