Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Morbidmuch_

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 am

Since moving to my own flat I've become increasingly *less* excited about Christmas. I do have a Christmas tree though, although since it's about 2 feet tall it should probably be considered a shrub.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:18 am

IMO the best thing about having your own place at Christmas is being able to start your own Christmas traditions that are way more fun. Like, we have now instituted Christmas Eve movie day, where we get supermarket party food and watch Christmas movies, always including Muppet Christmas Carol. And movie marathons for New Years (I think the plan is the LOTR extended trilogy this year). And then there's the Christmas raspberry. Treating yoself to new pjs and bedding (I'm eyeing up a tartan set for this year). And merry Cheesemas. My boyfriend mentioned a family friend who, as a kid, though that Chinese New Year meant you ate Chinese food at New Year, and their family instituted that as a tradition, so we're thinking about starting that this year. Basically, I take Christmas as an excuse to do whatever I want and call it a tradition.

And when in doubt, come and watch A Christmas Carol Gone Wrong with Havvy and me, because we are ridiculously excited about it.

On the Christmas theme, I noted a couple of weeks ago that you can sing the whole bit of Les Mis where Valjean appears at the barricade up to the First Attack to the tune of Jolly Old Saint Nicholas. This amuses me greatly and gets stuck in my head rather frequently.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Acaila wrote:And when in doubt, come and watch A Christmas Carol Gone Wrong with Havvy and me, because we are ridiculously excited about it.

Sounds delightful!
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Morbidmuch_ wrote:
Acaila wrote:And when in doubt, come and watch A Christmas Carol Gone Wrong with Havvy and me, because we are ridiculously excited about it.

Sounds delightful!

This sounds really interesting!
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Still don't know dates and times but apparently Derek Jacobi and Diana "Queen of Thorns" Rigg are going to be in it!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Here is a cool article about the origins of "ship" and "slash" -- apparently slash goes back decades before ship. Lots of examples from fandoms I never heard of.
https://medium.com/fansplaining/to-ship-or-not-to-ship-c7a0572e3782
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Acaila wrote:On the Christmas theme, I noted a couple of weeks ago that you can sing the whole bit of Les Mis where Valjean appears at the barricade up to the First Attack to the tune of Jolly Old Saint Nicholas.
:lol:
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Victor Hugo believed in universal public education, or at least his characters did, as a step toward utopia. Here is an interesting article about public schools in France banning phones:
https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/12/1 ... in-schools

Return to “General Discussion”