Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Acaila

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Acaila » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Argh, do want!

Well, we had our opening night last night and...things are going surprisingly smoothly!
Valjean for some reason faffed around with the candlesticks at the end of the prologue, then put them smoothly back on the Bishop's table and ran away so...not sure what was actually going on there.
Our followspot operator threw a hissy fit so I had to get a new one to do it with no rehearsal, but bless her she did a great job! So much drama!
New followspot op has been directed by me before and is quite freaked out by how calm I've been. Dunno how :shock:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Acaila wrote:Argh, do want!

Well, we had our opening night last night and...things are going surprisingly smoothly!
Valjean for some reason faffed around with the candlesticks at the end of the prologue, then put them smoothly back on the Bishop's table and ran away so...not sure what was actually going on there.
Our followspot operator threw a hissy fit so I had to get a new one to do it with no rehearsal, but bless her she did a great job! So much drama!
New followspot op has been directed by me before and is quite freaked out by how calm I've been. Dunno how :shock:

This makes me so happy! Would love to hear more about the production later on when things have calmed down a bit. :)
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Interesting... I was just talking with a friend a few days ago about how I hadn't heard anything about the BBC/Davies version in a while, and wondered if it was still on. Guess this answers that question!

Finally got tickets for my alma mater's production. Remember, remember, the 5th of November. (Hee... couldn't resist when I saw that date was available. :lol: )

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Acaila wrote:Argh, do want!

when and where is your production again?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

It's finished now, but West Lothian.
Video filmed on the last night, though I was pretty disappointed with the last night tbh so am feeling a bit regretful I wasn't organised enough to get a boot of the previous nights (Phan also very kindly took an audio of the last night which will tide me over til we get the DVDs). Our Valjean spent the middle night projectile vomiting (his understudy was always meant to be playing the middle night so it didn't disrupt that performance at least, but lol Cosette's bucket came in VERY handy that night) and had to go home mid performance and his understudy finished off the following night, and the band were generally playing at funeral march speeds on the last night, which threw everyone and voices were starting to go by then too so there were cracks here and there.
Still, it made a lot of people cry, and I managed to shoehorn in some ridiculously niche references that probably nobody else would get without them being pointed out. I'll just have to do it again and make it even better ;)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Yay for epic closing nights! Even if they weren't as good as they could have been... still, fantastic job, and I'm glad you got recordings of it even if it ended up not being the best performance of the run. :D And niche references always make things better. Well, usually... maybe. XD

I saw my former high school's production yesterday, and it was lovely! Since the drama teacher was a friend/colleague/protege of the director who did the 2013 community production here, I was surprised and intrigued by how different it was, and generally in a good way; it felt less bound by the "either Nunn/Caird or Connor" choice and was allowed to be more of its own thing. They were doing the school edition, so the cuts were there... but notably, they didn't cut "Stars," and I was very glad for that! (Apparently, the kid who played Javert auditioned with the full version of the song and also recently had a birthday, so they restored the full song for him.) Some very good vocals for high schoolers, especially from Fantine and Mme. Thénardier; and some truly well-done acting from many in the cast. And they used the John Cameron orchestrations, which I was very pleasantly surprised by! (Is that still standard policy for the school edition, or do groups have to specially request it?) Some orchestral flubs since the players were mostly students, but still better than some orchestras I've heard perform this show. I'll work on a full review, of course; just getting some initial thoughts here for now. ^_^

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Anyone planning on reading the ALW memoir?

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:59 pm

This probably isn't the right topic for this, but this seems to be where all the cool kids hang out these days. I know I've seen a map of Lamarque's funeral progression floating around somewhere online, but I can't seem to find where. Does anyone know where I could find it?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 am

"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

My saviour once again. Thanks Havvy!

Postby 23623 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Tecklenburg has just announced the cast for their production next year.

I have mixed feelings about this tbh. There are people who I like and who I...don't like that much. They didn't announce the actors for Éponine and the Thenardiers somehow. I'm desperately speculating on some of my favs though I know chances are pretty low.

And apparently this Enjolras was the Gavroche in the 1996 Duisburg proshot video. "Run for cover when the pup grows up", you hear that? :lol:

I hope we'd get a proshot video this time. I'm surprised that there's no video of their latest production of Rebecca but lots of other Tecklenburg productions, including the last production of Les Mis, have proshot videos so it's still likely. :D
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am

I'm feeling uncharacteristically patriotic today, so I just want to share an awesome clip of a fellow countryman.
Philip Jalmelid is a Swedish music theater performer who is currently playing Javert in the Swedish production of Les Mis (which I saw live last month). He also played Marius in 2011. His rendition of Stars, while in Swedish, is my new favourite and I think more people should hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mt2sk5M0U
I did not film this, in fact this isn't even from the production I saw. But it's awesome.

If youtube vids aren't allowed on this board, I apologise.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Jaaaaa, det är jättebra. (Också är det en rätt bra video. Jag är inte säker om jag har den här i min samling.)

Gjorde jag okej?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:01 pm

You did very good! But it should be "Det är också en rätt bra video". Don't ask me why, I suck at explaining grammar :lol:

Also, listen to 2:00 - 2:11. :shock: I can't even. For most of you who can't understand Swedish, it's at the "fall as Lucifer fell, the flames, the sword" lyric. Everytime I listen to it, it just blows my mind.

Also, here is a clip of him singing Empty Chairs, also in Swedish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbXQX0vg7Ik

Return to “General Discussion”