Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 pm

And happy birthday to our beloved and feared dictator MmeJavert! The lawr shall never be mocked!
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Happy late Birthday to Acaila and deHavvy! and Happy Birthday to Javert! ;)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm

freedomlover wrote:Happy late Birthday to Acaila and deHavvy! and Happy Birthday to Javert! ;)

Thanks, Em!
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Merci! And bonne anniversaire to MmeJavert too! :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm

So many of us have July birthdays!

I started my first proper job this week, on an activity camp for primary school kids. So far, so good!
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Everybody's parents got real busy sometime in October, I guess.

Congrats on the new job, Phan! My first real job that I went out and interviewed for in high school was like that, too, but it was drama-specific! :D
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 am

Congrats Phan! If you need any drama game ideas, do give me a shout.

Also Havvy, thanks so much for that thought :P
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:13 pm

deHavilland wrote:Everybody's parents got real busy sometime in October, I guess.

"T'was a long, dark, cold October night...."
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
deHavilland wrote:Everybody's parents got real busy sometime in October, I guess.

"T'was a long, dark, cold October night...."

Noooo :lol:

Thanks for the congrats guys, I'm really enjoying my job. And, unsurprisingly, my first paycheck has gone on tickets for Hamlet and Les Mis :mrgreen:
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 am

Happy belated birthday to Havvy and MmeJavert! I haven't been on in a while -- had some computer issues, and it somehow lost all my passwords, so I'm slowly getting those remembered or reset.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Happy belated birthday to Havvy and MmeJavert! I haven't been on in a while -- had some computer issues, and it somehow lost all my passwords, so I'm slowly getting those remembered or reset.

I write down all my passwords in a little book. In fact, two, which I keep in two separate houses (mine and my mom's). If somebody comes in and steals that book, I've got worse problems than losing passwords. That's in addition to the supposedly secure Keeper phone app.

Still, I like the idea of passphrases--long sentences only you would know like "Iclimbedmounttrusteesphonepanther"
Last edited by CC21106 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Thanks for the congrats guys, I'm really enjoying my job. And, unsurprisingly, my first paycheck has gone on tickets for Hamlet and Les Mis :mrgreen:

Glad to hear it's going well. And what better way to spend a first paycheck?
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

singleton

Postby singleton » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote:As far as actors who've played both Valjean and Javert, the Japanese production apparently cast actors to switch places regularly for those roles when they started in 1987. Edward Behr's book on the history of the show said that there was a big conflict with the original stars since both wanted to be Valjean for the premiere (though the book also completely misinterpreted the Japanese lyrics for IDAD, so I'm not sure how much credence to give to its understanding of the production). I don't know if Japan has kept up the trend; but since pretty much all the Japanese Valjeans I've heard have been baritones (except possibly Kazutaka Ishii, who played Marius in 1994 and then went on to Valjean in 2003 and who might be a tenor), that might well be the case.

And for the women, Judy Kuhn comes to mind as one who played Cosette in the original Broadway cast and then took over as Fantine for the 2006-08 revival. And of course, Lea Salonga was an Éponine who went on to play Fantine. Has anyone gone from playing Cosette, Éponine, or Fantine to playing the Thénardiess, I wonder?

Honoka Suzuki (second Cosette in 1987) played second Fantine in 1997-2001, and now plays first Madame Thenardier, visually the absolute opposite of Jenny Galloway. In the recent celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Japanese Les Mis, I think she was asked if she's played every female role now, and she answered that she still has to do Éponine. All in good humour of course. When each actor was announced with their former Les Mis role(s), Suzuki's bit was particularly long, causing everyone to laugh. Incidentally, Suzuki played Ellen in the OJC Miss Saigon.

Postby 23623 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:35 am

Random silly question: are there any people who have played Les Mis characters in a similar relationship they have IRL? Like actual couples playing Marius and Cosette or actual brother and sister playing Gavroche and Éponine? :D

A friend told me yesterday that there were actual couples who played Enjolras and Éponine ( :shock: ) and even Enjolras and Grantaire ( :shock: :shock:) together, which made me really curious about the rest. :)
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:17 am

The business of musical theatre isn't that big (as shown by the many overlaps between big shows) so it's not impossible.
I can't think of any Marius/Cosette or Éponine/Gavroche examples at the top of my head, but I'm still a fetus in the fandom compared to some so I'm sure some of the more adult fans can help you out with that one.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Return to “General Discussion”