Book Icon

Icons, banners, wallpapers, etc -- share them here.
between4walls

Book Icon

Postby between4walls » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:07 am

Nearly every shot told. There were corpses here and there, and pools of blood on the pavement. I remember a white butterfly which went and came in the street. Summer does not abdicate.

An icon of this quote from the book, describing the June Days. I've never made icons before, so the font isn't that exciting. The painting behind the butterfly photo is Barricade Rue Soufflot by Horace Vernet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Vernetand shows the Pantheon in the background.
Attachments
summer_does_not_abdicate.jpg
summer_does_not_abdicate.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Col.Despard

Re: Book Icon

Postby Col.Despard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 am

Well, it's gorgeous! And a spirit of hope in the midst of terrible scenes.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks!
The reason that image stuck with me is I can never decide if it's hopeful or not- on the one hand, there's something horrific about the butterfly flapping along untouched and the utter indifference of nature, but on the other life does go on, the violence and horror aren't the whole world, and the word "abdicate" gives the description a certain majesty. So...ambivalence.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:44 am

I've always loved that line. And your icon is beautifully done. I agree with you about the ambivalence - despite the raging on of the battle on earth, the summer continues, untouched (perhaps representing the will of God here on Earth?) The use of the word "abdicate" would suggest a certain majesty - again pointing to a higher law. And, to me, that is certainly enough to give me hope!

The other thing I could think of is that, maybe the butterfly is the representation of goodness and innocence? Despite the slaughter of innocents on the barricades, innocence personified still remains, in the form of the butterfly. One thing I found interesting is that Hugo used animals capable of flight to personify his most innocent characters - Cosette and Gavroche. Cosette is described as a lark, and Gavroche as a little bird. So that again points to the butterfly being the personification of innocence that perseveres, despite human nature.

Return to “Web Graphics”