What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Icons, banners, wallpapers, etc -- share them here.
Citizeness Feuilly

Re: What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:38 pm

That is awesome, EntirelyInsane. I need to start calling my parents "Aristos" - it just sums it up perfectly. I'm sorry about the whole piano deal...my parents start getting ticked off that I keep watching French films over and over. They don't realize that "Danton" and the 1934 version of Les Misérables are not the same thing...SO frustrating. "No, Mum, that's not Jean Valjean, that's Robespierre. And no, Danton didn't take part in the Gorbeau House incident". The general heading of "French Stuff" is just avoided. I started talking about how proud I was that the French were doing something in Libya - and got told that I needn't keep marginalizing the Americans and the Brits, who were doing just as much. So I just keep up my nerdy research and language learning in private, and keep muttering the words to "La Marseillaise" to keep my temper.

Oh, lucky! How was Paris? Did you make any Les Misérables pilgrimages? Did you go anywhere else?

I still haven't finished War and Peace (dude, my copy is at least 1300 pages!), and I got it for Christmas. But I'm slogging through, and it's coming with me to Greece. Hopefully I can finish it then. Oh, don't feel stupid - I'm mainly reading it because of Napoleon. But now I'm getting a crush on Pierre AND Andrei, so it's sort of backfired.

Peter *is* more manly handsome - if he hadn't gotten so creepy over the last few years, I would have almost advocated him for Enjolras. I loved the bloke who played Joly at the O2...he was so pretty. and he wore purple trousers. But that's beside the point.It's the only word for him. And don't worry about sounding gay, we're all obsessed with the Romantics, aren't we? So gaiety isn't a big problem round here.

I don't watch a lot of TV either...I found a rather pretty boy with nice face structure who made a guest appearance on Ashes to Ashes, though:
http://movies.toptenreviews.com/actors/ ... 362476.jpg

He doesn't look quite fresh-faced enough for Joly or Enjolras, though...but he's too pretty for me to abandon.

Confession time - I downloaded the entire thing off the Internet, and then downloaded English subtitles. Smashed them together on VLC, and boom. I'm not sure if that's something you'd be OK with doing, but, if you are, the miniseries is on Pirate Bay. I'll give you the link for it, if you like - I'm not sure if Mme. Javert will let me though. So, if you're interested, PM me, and I'll give you the links for everything.

I actually sort of liked the miniseries - Javert was kinda weird, but Fantine was really lovely. And it actually had Enjolras and Éponine in it, so that's always a plus. Marius was positively frightening, though...

Doing a quick google search, Musichetta IS Italian, an affectionate diminutive of "Musica". There were plenty of Italians in the Midi, I'd think - so that all works. Maybe Musichetta's family worked for Joly's as musicians - Joly fell for Musichetta, and brought her with him to Paris...anyone want to write that story?

Oh, Aurelia, Joly and Combeferre would be so pleased, it's not even funny. I think the Amis would all be pleased that their memories are so idolized by us, but actually following in their footsteps is wonderful.

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Ugh, so irritating! (Haha, I watched Danton awhile ago on youtube. Was quite pleased with it, actually. I wanted to watch La Revolution Francaise, too, but for whatever nasty reason the last part isn't posted - the entire rest of it is, though! - so I didn't want to watch it all and then not get the very end. Gah.)
HA, yes, I get accused of downplaying America all the time. So, naturally, I start doing it even more to irritate people. Last Independence Day, my dad seemed relatively okay with my dressing-up-like-Thomas-Jefferson-and-declaiming-the-Declaration-of-Independence festivities...until I had to go and say that we owe our independence to the French, because without them Washington's army would've had a hell of a time beating the Redcoats. (: I did enjoy how irritated he got. It was pretty irrational of him, though, because even though I then went on to say that similarly, the French wouldn't be where they were without us, since they were inspired by our revolution, he didn't seem to hear that bit. -_-
And La Marseillaise is amazing for frayed nerves, yes (as is DYHTPS).Though, generally, my go-to song for calming down is Moonlight Sonata. I just go to the piano, shut my eyes, and bang it out over and over until I'm calm enough to play it softly. It works like a charm. I get more absorbed in the music than my anger, so the anger goes away.it can be a little odd, though, to see me sobbing my heart out at the piano one minute, and playing music quite conplacently the next...

GAH IT WAS AMMMAZZZINGGGGGGGG. I shan't get into details, because if I do it'll turn into a full-fledged rant the length of the Brick or something...but yes, it was beautiful. Erm, if you don't mind me directing you to my dA, there's a huge folder of Parisian pics there...the barricades, the Musain (or what it's become), Courfeyrac's flat, the Jardin du Luxembourg, Hugo's house, etc...
Lotsa stuff.
But yeah, I am truly in love with that city. Upon leaving, it was as if a little bit of my heart had been torn out and remains in Paris...waiting to be reunited with me when I return. It's so beautiful. The atmosphere, the streets...people have asked me what my favorite thing was, and the honest answer is, quite simply, BEING THERE. It's the whole everything, all put together. Coming out of the metro in the rain, at the Place Saint-Michel (oh, that beatiful sculpture!), turning a corner, and seeing the Notre Dame looming out of the mist before you, magnificent and mighty against dreary sky. Coming out of a long Christmas Eve spent at the Louvre, and having coffee down the street. Your fingers and toes freezing after a long walk...but loving every bit of it. Walking down the street to the boulangerie, going into the balmy warmth, the smell of fresh baguettes, and crunching into them while walking back up the street to the flat.
It's amazing.

...Gah, I still need to READ MORE BOOKS. I still haven't even properly finished The Social Contract, darn it!

PSH, PURPLE TROUSERS ARE AMAZING.
Haha, good point. XD

You're right, he is pretty. No idea who he could be, but you're right. He is rather nice-looking...in a more closed, elusive way. (Montparnasse? If he had all the hair...)

Ha, brilliantly done. But no, I'm not nearly that tech savvy...Neither would I be able to download stuff. Aristos wouldn't let me. Gah. Thanks, though...

Awww, really? How sweet! (Why did I never find that when I googled it?...)
You write it! I'd like to see you write i!

And ditto, Aurelia. It's so beautiful to see their memories so impact us. It's wonderful.
"“Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation."
-Oscar Wilde

*hears the people sing and is singing with them...loudly*

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:42 pm

You *have* to finish the Social Contract soon. It's awesome :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Ugh, I know. I do enjoy it, greatly! Gah, Rousseau is amazing. But it's sad, I'm in the middle of so many books right now, and then there are so many others I want to read...such campaigns for the progress of my self-education are wonderful, but they can get very discouraging when my to-do lists keep getting LONGER, no matter how much I chip off from the top. I mean, all the books I've got lined up directly behind is alarming. The list is literally multiple pages - I've got it all written out. And then there's the issue that I've hardly ever got any time to read, except at mealtimes, and then I'm reading the books I'm in the middle of for school...

While we're on the topic of books, though...any other good ones that pop into mind that you'd reccommend?
(Yes, because the most reasonable thing to do when you're behind on reading is to ask for more, right?...)
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Danton's excellent, and Gerard Depardieu is, in my opinion BORN to be Danton. He's brilliant. But I came out of it wanting to learn more about Desmoulins, actually - which I simply must do, once school ends.

La Revolution Francaise - you mean the miniseries with Jane Seymour as Marie Antoinette? I watched the first part, and was squeeing the whole way through (it starts out with 10-year-old Robespierre and Desmoulins standing in the rain and mud, giving an address to the King and Queen, securely sequestered in their posh carriage. Your heart just melts.) But then the other parts didn't have English subtitles, and my French just isn't up to watching a French movie without subtitles. If the words are written down, I function pretty well - I got LM out in French from the library, and read the about half of the barricade scenes with little issue. It's just speaking and listening that I fall apart on. Ah, well, c'est la vie.

That's awesome, my friend. I must do that...my parents wouldn't flip out like your dad did, I don't think, but I'd love to see their reactions. They've both been to France dozens of times, and love the country dearly. But they prefer the monarchy in a serious way and I, needless to say, love the Republic. So that's another source of contention.

Another Beethoven fan? Yippee! Moonlight Sonata is my absolute favourite. I do love Clair de lune too, though - but I loved it WAY before Twilight came along and ruined it.

Oh, man, that sounds like heaven. A classmate went to France with her family, and came back a week ago. All she has to say? "The weather was so nice!" GAH! She doesn't even remember whether or not she went to the Louvre! She can't stand the food, she thought the chateaux were too showy ("Why didn't, like, the people who lived there just go to IKEA?"), and, worst of all - she was trying to be all cool, and talk about Napoleon. She had watched "Hornblower", where he's only referred to as "Boney". She got it mixed up, and started talking about "that guy Boner, you know, like the emperor dude who started the revolution?" I was ready to throttle her.

But I do love hearing intelligent LM fans talk about their travels in Paris...I honestly need to spend about 6 months there, just living and walking the city. I'll have to finagle my way into a study abroad there.

Yeah, he's just pure prettiness. I don't know if he could work for Montparnasse...he doesn't have any glare of sinister in him. He needs to be in our movie, though...

There was a beautiful blonde boy on "Monroe" a few weeks ago...he was so pretty and androgynous-looking. (His character was a smoker with a collapsed lung, definitely not one of our boys. But he's hopefully versatile) I can't find his name or picture, though...gah! Still, if you go to the below link, and skip to 27:40, you can see him. The character is a bit of a creep, but the actor is lovely-looking.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=E5PPVB3B

Maybe I will write that, once school ends. That would actually be sort of fun...

Oh, book suggestions - I've got loads. Anything by Rousseau, obviously. He's brilliant. George Sand is excellent too - I just finished "Horace" and loved it. The Red and the Black, by Stendhal. Oh, and Balzac too - Pere Goriot is my favourite, but just about anything is good. Hmm...non-French books, I'd recommend Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky, and anything by Tolstoy. For period dramas, no one can beat Elizabeth Gaskell - North and South, and Wives and Daughters, are both utterly amazing. And their heroes are amazing. N&S's hero, John Thornton, is a rough Yorkshire mill owner, and W&D's hero, Roger Hamley, is the loveliest underdog you could ever hope to meet. They're both great. For something a bit lighter, I suggest Bill Bryson. He writes a mix of travel books/commentary on American vs. British society. He's very clever and snarky and witty, and it's just a joy to read. "Notes from a Big Country" and "Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" are my favourite.

I'll stop there, because I'll just go on and on for pages.

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Oh, and before I forget, here's a few more suggestions:

Count of Monte Cristo
Madame Bovary
The Iliad (you may have had to read this for school and hated it. But for a Classics nerd, it's pure heaven)
Lives of the Twelve Caesars (A gossipy, scurrilous history of one of the most corrupt dynasties in history? Sign me up!)

All I can think of right now. Do you have any book suggestions? :)

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Sat May 07, 2011 2:38 am

Desmoulins! I've always sort of thought of him as a cute, stuttery little chap. Whic is probably a completely innacurate impression...but meh.

Erm, I dunno. All I know is that I don't know nearly enough French to even begin to try to follow along, alas. (But b'awww, that's an adorable beginning! I really want to rent it with subtitles now! Perhaps this summer...)

Wait, the monarchy? Are you in Britain?

YES ANOTHER BEETHOVEN FAN. I love that man dearly. He's one of my favorite people from history, one of the few that I really like from every aspect. And we have a lot in common. We're both insufferably foul-tempered, we're both hypercritical, we both liked Napoleon until he crowned himself emperor, and we both have crazy fluffy dark hair that tries to attack us when we're not paying attention.
Ahem. :3
Wait, Claire de Lune was in Twilight? *knows absolutely nothing about pop culture* Oh. Huh. Fancy that. How stupid.
I love Chopin, too. ♥

YES, IT WAS AMAZING.
...Aww, shame.
And, uh, I haven't watched/read Hornblower either. I need to, huh.
AND GAH IT MALKES ME SOOO MAD WHEN PEOPLE SAY NAPOLEON WAS A PART OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION. GAH. NO HE REALLY WASN'T. HE CAME AFTERWARDS, CHAPS.

Ohhhh, I do, too. If only...Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be spending a good few weeks there the summer before I go to college. My dad said I could...

Oooh, you're right! He is pretty! I had to watch it on mute, but he is very aesthetically endowed, indeed. :3 Based on looks alone, I'd think he'd make a good Joly, or perhaps Jehan if he had longer hair or something. But yes, very lovely.
...Can he sing?..

ROUSSEAU. Working on it.
George Sand. She and Chopin were buddies for awhile, weren't they? Fred and George. *shot* I think she's pretty cool, too, though. If I'd been alive in that time, chances are I would've been walking around in men's coats and trousers. Hell, I try to do it now.
I have The Red and the Black on my bookshelf. I plan to read it this summer.
Need to read Balzac. Have none of his stuff. Will keep that in mind.
HAHA RUSSIAN WRITERS. Ahem, okay.
Oooh, period dramas! Okay! (With lovely heroes! Yay!) And I think I saw something about a North and South movie somewhere once, too. (Off topic, I really love BBC's adaptations of classic literature, because they tend to keep it all so canon. Good times.)
Bryson? Never even heard of him. Okay.
EDMOND DANTES IS AMAZING.
Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo, yeah. Love it dearly.
Madame Bovary! It's on my list.
...Oh, goodness. Nooo, I need to read the Iliad. I've read selections of it in school, but never the whole thing. We read Oedipus Rex, though!...And later we read selections of Dante's Inferno, which was awesomely amazing.
Hahaha, that Lives of the Twelve Caesars sounds utterly brilliant. Yeah, must read.

Aww, my book suggestions? Chances are they'll not be as good, because I probably haven't read as much out-of-the-way stuff, and you might've read all this already (I never get to read enough during the school year - I don't have much time, and I get yelled at if I read too much because the Aristos think it's a waste of time). And then there's the issue that I tend to suggest pretty much anything I read, because I like it all so much, so this might take awhile.
But anyway.
Well, I really liked Wuthering Heights. Heathcliff was amazing.
Jane Eyre was good, too. Mr. Rochester. (Clearly, I like Romantic heroes, huh.)
What else? Um, besides the obvious stuff like Phantom of the Opera and Sherlock Holmes...Well, The Scarlet Pimpernel was fun. Sympathizing with the opposite side of the French Revolution -- the nobility -- but still a good story, I thought.
And then there's Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities was amazing; I love Sydney Carton. Oliver Twist was good, too, but not...quite as good, I thought. And I'm still in the middle of Great Expectations, but so far that's fun, too. But I find that Dickens is rather an acquired taste for a lot of people, so it all depends on whether or not you like his style of writing.
Jules Verne is cool, too. His books are easy and fun brain food to chew on. I like his science fiction much better than modern science fiction, I think. It's all very interesting.
Oh, and I finally got around to reading The Picture of Dorian Gray a few weeks ago. That was cool, too. Sort of interesting to think about, again.
And by way of modern books...well, the Temeraire series is great fun, of course. Still in the middle of that as well.
Aaaaand I think that's probably enough bibliophilic rambling for now, aye?
I told you I'd go long. I hope I've named at least a couple books up there that you haven't read...

On an entirely different note...gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I took my AP Euro Hist exam today. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Arm is tired from excessive essay writing.
-Oscar Wilde

Séraphine

Postby Séraphine » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:41 pm

I made my own version inspired by your picture.

Since I had a bit of free time I decided to practise my Photoshop skills ;D
Be young, have fun, taste Courfeyrac. ;D

Return to “Web Graphics”