What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Icons, banners, wallpapers, etc -- share them here.
EntirelyInsane

Re: What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:58 am

Awww, Aurelia, that's brilliant! Unfortunately, the only thought red flags trigger around here is "COMMUNISM!", so it doesn't always go too well. And hey, hearing from Joly Combeferre is a good thing! Just don't listen to them too closely if they try to contradict modern germ theory or something...
But med school! Brilliant. I'm planning on it, too.

And Citizeness - UM YEAH. High-five for terrifying classmates! :D
(Ha, nice name. I've been relatively successful in getting most people to call me Sherlock...)
Aye, a Gaul! Shame about that. You should really just tell them.

...Oh, wow. I really like your tumblr, yeah. (: I'm quite in agreement with that "One Day More" pi chart. (I mean, don't you just wish you had multiple voiceboxes sometimes? Oh, how it'd come in handy...) And your shock blanket one from Sherlock. :D And the Robespierre one beneath it, lolz. AND AHAHA, the Dickens ripoff beneath it! And Liberty beneath that. I think we've made it clear how much I adore that painting, yes? Awww, and the revolutionaries from the O2 on the next page. And -
Yeah, I'm gonna stop listing them now, they're all awesome (hey, those awesome youtube videos! and Patria! And--). Thanks, though! I've got another way to burn my time on Les Mis now. XD

Haha, the merits of leeches. Oh, dear...
"“Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation."
-Oscar Wilde

*hears the people sing and is singing with them...loudly*

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 am

Seems like I'm somewhat the odd one out in this conversation...I'm thoroughly planning on studying Anthropology (probably the sociocultural route) or Classics or Linguistics. Ah, well, where would our civilization be without nerds who study something totally impractical, only to go on and teach the next generation of impractical nerds to follow in their footsteps?

Yeah, Gauls are awesome. If only my classmates would recognize that! :)

I've tried SO many times to sing all the parts of One Day More, and I've come damn close. For the counterpoint, I just switch between the characters. So it generally goes something like this:

"I did not live until today. One more day I'm on my own. How can I live when we are parted? I will know the - ONE DAY MORE! Tomorrow you'll be worlds away! Never know your luck when there's a free for all! What a life I might have known! And yet with you - Tomorrow we'll be far away. Tomorrow is the judgement day. Tomorrow we'll discover..."

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I still get confused by my system, frankly!

YES! You like Sherlock? Oh my gosh, I've never met a fellow Sherlock obsessee! I kinda think Benedict Cumberbatch (who, by the way, has a name straight out of Dickens. It makes me giggle indecently.) would make a decent Enjolras - the slight OCD-ness, the emaciated, thin face, the posh accent...if only he was a bit younger, could rock a blonde wig, and was a bit more angelic-looking. *sigh*

Tumblr is SO much fun - I waste a LOT more time than I strictly have browsing it. But it's just addictive...

Oh yeah, and I should definitely post your Enjolras Leading the People. Would that be alright?

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 am

I miss being able to sing "One Day More". One of my favorite high school memories was when during one of the last days of graduation practice, one of my friends began singing the last part of the song, and we all ended up joining in on "Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heaven has in store...one more dawn, one more day, one day more!" Emotional much!

I love that tumblr of yours, Citizeness Feuilly. It now gets a daily visit from me. :D And studying Anthropology is one of the coolest things; you have, in my opinion, a holistic grasp on human behavior, more than psychologists, sociologists, or behavioral science majors.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Anthropology! Nooo, that's brilliant! That's absolutely brilliant!
Gah, one of the really nasty things with me is that I seem to be interested in, like, EVERYTHING. I try to compare myelf to da Vinci or Combeferre or something to legitimize it, but such a comparison doesn't really work, as I'm nowhere near as smart or well-read as either of them, as the case may be. :| Shame...
And impractical nerds are the best kind of nerds out there. Just saying. :D

WHOA HEY that's pretty much EXACTLY how I sing the counterpoint. The only difference, really, is that I generally leave out the Thenardiers all the way. Besides that, though, we're the exact same. LOL at the "I will know the - ONE DAY MORE!!!" That is exactly what I do, Citizeness. Epic win.

And Aurelia, while we're on the topic of One Day More, that is indeed very emotional. But in a beautiful way. My friend(s) and I occasionally break out into song as well, but it's never been quite that spontaneously beautiful. Yet.

FELLOW SHERLOCKIANS UNITE! :D No, yeah, I've loved Holmes since I was eensy-tinsey. (Ditto on his name being Dickensian. I've giggled over it a fair few times as well...hey, did you ever see the video of him on youtube reading The Little Red Hen?)
Hmm, as Enjolras? I dunno...I'd be more inclined to assign him Feuilly or something. I mean, he's awesome, but I dunno if he'd be Enjolras.
Then again, I've never seen him looking angelic. So maybe...

XD Hey, sure! I'd be honored! Just, uh, credit me, I guess. Or whatever.
and credit Delacroix and Thaxton, too.

And also, Aurelia - which field of medicine are you entering? Have you decided yet?
-Oscar Wilde

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Citizeness Feuilly wrote:"I did not live until today. One more day I'm on my own. How can I live when we are parted? I will know the - ONE DAY MORE! Tomorrow you'll be worlds away! Never know your luck when there's a free for all! What a life I might have known! And yet with you - Tomorrow we'll be far away. Tomorrow is the judgement day. Tomorrow we'll discover..."

Just interrupting everyone here to declare that this is absolutely, perfectly accurate. I will know the- ONE DAY MORE!, every single time!
It's a magical world... Let's go exploring!

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Yay! Anthropology is SO fascinating, but no one seems to recognize that. Now if only my parents would share your enthusiasm for my field...

And wow, thank you guys for the tumblr compliments. By the way, I just posted a whole wack-load of stuff on French/world history.

You too, EntirelyInsane? I'm interested in anything, I'll read anything, and I've been having a hell of a hard time figuring out what to do. I tell myself I'm just like Combeferre too, but then I fail, for exactly the same reasons!

It's so cool that everyone sings One Day More the same way. The Thenardiers I only put in on occasion - usually, I'll stick closer to Éponine's part, or Marius'. But the big "ONE DAY MORE!" interrupts everything. :)

Oh, Aurelia, that is an emotional moment with One Day More. It fits so perfectly in that moment, too. I think I know what *I'm* doing at my graduation!

GO SHERLOCK! I love Sherlock Holmes - my dad used to read them to me when I was little, to "develop my brain". Some of my earliest memories are of reading A Study of Scarlet with my dad. So much fun, and I've never been able to look at the name Rachel without thinking "RACHE!"

Hmm...good point about Cumberbatch. *giggle*. I dunno if he could be Feuilly - he doesn't look like a working man. He looks like the posh, Eton-educated type...maybe Combeferre then? Nope, I haven't seen that video yet...I definitely will, though!

But, while we're on the subject of transporting Sherlock actors into Les Misérables - would Martin Freeman work somehow? I could see him as Feuilly.

Oh, you and Thaxton and Delacroix will all be credited. Don't worry about that! :). I'll post it when I next have a spare minute.

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Awww, are your parents skeptics, too? I have the same problem. I mean, they want me to go into medicine and everything, but they're so horribly unsympathetic toward my drawing, reading, writing, singing, theatre, etc. Ooooh, them and theatre don't get along. Nor drawing.
Which is quite irritating for me, as can be well imagined. -_-

YAY your new tumblr stuff is awesome. That painting is Corday after killing Marat, right? (I mean, I see a guy in a bathtub and a woman...) And lol at the "Napoleon was a short, angry man who wanted to take over the world."
Especially because Napoleon's taller than me. There's quite a bit of friction between us as a result, actually. Erm.
Love the Revolutionary calendar, though. And the "FINALS ON THE IDES OF MARCH" Oh noooo! :D
OH WAIT WHOA THE IDES OF MARCH WAS YESTERDAY, WASN'T IT. OH. WOW.
hey, that's one day after Pi Day!...*shot*

Well, I say well-roundedness is better than close-mindedness, so we're good. :)

(: The big ONE DAY MORE! is definitely the best part. Though, of course, Enjolras's bit is epic as well...
And speaking of singing at graduations...I dunno, guys, I'm leaning more towards the Finale...:D

"To develop the brain"? Wow, nice.
RACHE! indeed. (Oh, and I loved that bit in BBC, too...)

And yeah, I know he's more the posh type, but I thought if they makeuped him a lot and got him to speak in a less polished accent, it could work. Possibly just because I picture Feuilly as tall, thin, lanky, pale, and dark-haired, and Cumberbatch can pull THAT off, at least. Though I don't think Feuilly's hair is quite that curly...

...I dunno. I...don't really see it. But, y'know, everybody's mental Amis are different. (how strange that sounds...) The first Ami that jumps to mind for him is Bossuet, because I could see him playing an unfortunate, apologetic type. I guess just because it somehow parallels Watson.
Well, sort of. Erm.

Yay! Thank ye kindly, mum! (:
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

My dad's definitely more supportive than my mum. My dad, at least, has a soft spot for humanities and history and impractical subjects - he studied them himself! :) But my mum is a hard-core Bio-Chem type of person - she declares anything else is "lefty, pouffy crap". And all of my other siblings are hell-bent on going into the sciences - one going into med-school, another into pharmacy, another into dentistry, etc. etc. - you get the idea. At the end of the day, I know she'll support me whatever I decide to do, but it'll be a long road getting her to accept the idea.

My dad's pretty pleased with my interests, though. I'm, effectively, a carbon copy of my dad as a teenager, only a girl. He supports my more literary interests, definitely - he got me studying Latin at age 7, read Sherlock Holmes to me when I was 4 and then Jane Eyre when I was 8 (looking back, I can't believe he let me read it when I was that young. There's some pretty sexual stuff in there that I obviously missed the first time around). He's very supportive of my writing, too. He doesn't mix too well with theatre...I mean, he'll watch/read Shakespeare happily, and he likes Les Misérables, but the minute you start bringing other theatre into the mix, he's out.

I definitely understand...our parents' expectations is not easy to deal with, is it?

That part in the BBC was SO good - I love modernized Sherlock Holmes. Before seeing it, I thought it would be a total disaster - but I liked Martin Freeman in The Office UK, so I tried the first episode out for his sake. And was totally hooked. And the shameless Les Misérables fangirl in me loves the constant slash jokes throughout. The whole interchange about the date with Watson and Sarah - priceless! :)

Yep, that's Corday after killing Marat. I love the look on her face as she surveys his body coldly. I'm shorter than dear old Buonaparte too - and in our imaginary playdates, he likes to make fun of me for it. But then I remind him of a little place called Waterloo, and he shuts up.

Oh my gosh, someone else is superstitious about the Ides of March? I went around all day yesterday with a copy of Julius Caesar in my backpack and telling everyone I saw to "Beware the Ides of March!" No-one got it, sadly, but I had fun. And I accidentally cut myself while chopping carrots for dinner - so I consider I was right to be superstitious. :P

Hmm...if we could rough him up a bit, give him the French equivalent of a Cockney accent - I could definitely see it. Feuilly's hair wouldn't be that curly, I think - but Cumberbatch can wear a wig, can't he?

Martin Freeman as Bousset - I love it! :) He's not bald, though...are there "bald" wigs? :lol: Now we just need to find a Joly who compliments his appearance, and a Musichetta who's disproportionately more attractive than both of them. (I'm picturing her as Asia Argento, actually)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

I'm hoping to get into either infectious diseases and genetics as a specialty.

Ooh, Ides of March! The most I could get yesterday was a reference here and there...I used to have a friend who'd draw the Soothsayer on the blackboard on the days prior to, and on the day of the Ides. :))
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Ugh, no, they're not. Parents. They can be so terribly oppressive. You'd think I was ten, the way they treated me sometimes. But anyway.

YES. As a general rule, I'm sort of hesitant about modernized anything, because it has the potential to be utterly disastrous...but they did a brilliant job with Sherlock. Because they didn't just go and take events from the Conan Doyle canon, they used characterizations - taking quirks in characters and applying them to a modern-world situation. Hence, you have a Sherlock who wears a nicotine patch, a Watson with a psychosomatic limp and an actual wound in the shoulder(thus solving the issue presented in the original books, because Conan Doyle mentions both leg and shoulder issues with Watson), a Lestrade who manages to be equally pompously inept, and a scape for the crimes which has evolved and changed with time, yet still manages to be the same. Taxis instead of hansoms and broughams, texting instead of sending telegrams...I mean, it's absolutely genius. I was quite blown away. That, and how Watson was fighting in Afghanistan both times.
Ha, yes, all the hints at them being gay. It was rather giggle-worthy, wasn't it?...
Wow, okay. Long Sherlock rant over.

LOL at 'a little place called Waterloo'. I tend to bring up Russia. Good times.

Ha, well, I can't claim any disastrous event befalling me on the Ides of March, aside perhaps an extreme bout of boredom or something...But is fun to joke about, isn't it?
And Aurelia - ha, love the soothsayer on the blackboard! I like utilizing the blackboard in my history room, too. Like last year, I drew up a big thing for the anniversary of Louis XVI's execution on January 21. (:

Yep, exactly! (And, generally, in English-speaking movies, I think they just do use a Cockney accent regardless of where they are, right? I mean, think Gavroche. In the musical, he's not much different from the Artful Dodger.) A wig...or he could straighten his hair...

"Bald wigs"? Well, I s'pose they could get him to shave, or yeah, there are those latex-ish cap things they can put over your head - often prior to putting on another wig - that with touch-ups, could prolly work fine to make him look bald.
A Joly? Well, he must be adorable. Big round eyes, preferably green, and blonde hair. Sort of a red-tinged nose, from constant blowing, and overall a rosy complexion, because I think of him as an excitable fellow. No idea who might be able to play him, though.
...Argento?...*googles, and is assaulted withi awkward pictures* WELL. Erm.
With Musichetta, I think, we need someone with natural beauty. No precise skin color - anywhere from pale to a darker or rosier complexion would work, I think. Dark brown hair, and 'eyes like a fortune teller', which again leaves it quite open to interpretation. I think dark brown eyes right off, although green or hazel or something of the sort could work, too. But they have to be the sort of eyes that you get lost in, y'know?...

Aurelia - THAT IS COOL. So d'you want to be a physician or a researcher in your chosen field - or both?
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:32 pm

I know my parents try their best and everything, and I love them both dearly - but sometimes, I just get so frustrated with the way they treat me and life. Ah well - it can't be easy to deal with our creepy obsessions either! :)

Sherlock was TOTAL genius. And I'm so happy a second series is coming out. I watched the show when it first came out with my family, and every one else was SO sick of the gay jokes. But I just kept giggling insanely. Someone else said on another thread, something about how all Les Misérables fans have their minds totally in the gutter, and aren't apologetic for it at all. Sums us up perfectly - but anyways, my perverted mind found it extremely funny.

Good idea about Russia...that'll tick him off too. And I've also been known to whack my boy Buonaparte over the head with a copy of War and Peace to drive the point home. :lol:

Yeah, the latex thingy is what I was talking about...and your description of Joly is spot on. Except I pictured him with brown hair on the lighter side. But blonde can be nice too! I'm blanking...maybe Will Moseley, of Narnia fame?

http://www.agirlsworld.com/rachel/hangi ... oseley.jpg

Sorry for the Argento thing, I hate it when that type of things happen. I was watching the 2000 French miniseries of LM, and she was Éponine. Horribly miscast as Éponine, I'd say, but she was just my perfect Musichetta. Didn't google it in advance before recommending her. Sorry!

I always took the "eyes like a fortune teller" to mean that Musichetta had *something* in her, that she was at least part foreign. The name sounds somewhat Italian - but Spanish is probably more likely, seeing as how Joly and Bousset are both from the Midi, bordering directly with Spain. There'd be a lot of intermingled blood there. And, for some reason, I always had the idea that Joly brought Musichetta to Paris with him when he started studying at the Sorbonne. So that works.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:05 am

I'm hoping to be a physician AND a policy maker...one of my consuming interests is public health, and I want to be able to figure out how to better serve the masses through health education, both on the primary healthcare level, and in clearing up misconceptions about mental illnesses and genetic disorders.

Here's to parents too who don't understand obsessions. Mine tolerate what I do, as long as I don't bring it up too often at the dinner table.

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah. I mean, I know they mean best and they love me and are trying to help me...but still, it gets really irritating. I must say, their "it's for your own good, you know" sort of oppression has earned them my nickname "the Aristos". Ahem.
And yeah, about that dinner table thing, Aurelia - d'your parents not understand the phenomenon of subtopics and relations? Mine don't. It's like, as long as it's under the general heading "FRENCH STUFF", they think it's all I talk about and thus I shouldn't talk about it anymore, never mind what it is. Which is, um, completely illogical. The same thing happens when I play piano. They don't seem to get that there are forty-some different songs in Les Mis, so playing one one day and another one the next does NOT equate to playing the "same thing every single day", just because it's from the same musical. Gah.

YES. It was brilliant. I was the only one in the family who watched them at first, because my dad actually yelled at me for wasting time, so I had to watch the episodes online in stolen minutes, but GAH they are brilliant. (And yes, the gay insinuations did earn my giggles. "I'm not his date!") But then A Study in Pink was showing on the plane back from Paris this past winter, so my sis and I watched that. Which was nice, because otherwise I was absolutely devasted, leaving Paris.

Ha, you're teasing him with Tolstoy? But I haven't read anything by him yet, so I don't feel right joking about him. *feels stupid*

Hmm. I would say no to Peter, because he's got more of a manly handsomeness than a French...prettiness. We need someone who looks young, in a more...delicate way? Well, I mean, like the chap who played Joly at the O2 actually had a pretty Joly-esque face, I thought. It was appropriately young and pretty, sort of fresh and rosy ((?)i'm sorry that sounds sort of gay but i'm trying to explain what i mean and i have no idea how...)...it was sweet, y'know? It just really fit Joly. The only thing I would change is his hair, of course.
Unfortunately, I can't think of a single actor who might work, because I don't watch much TV or movies or stuff. Can you think of anyone who might fit that?...I wish I could think of someone!

Oh, ha, don't worry about Argento. (: It's fine!
Although I feel stupid again, because I've hardly seen any of that French miniseries save for a couple clips I scrounged up on youtube. D'you know where I might find it all? Was it good? Besides Éponine being miscast, I mean. (Isn't that the one where Marius has a frightening thing with facial hair?...)

YES! I've always rather been fond of the idea of Musichetta having something foreign in her. And I do like Italian, because I'm part Italian myself and it's what I look like physically most (though, uh, I'm not nearly as pretty as Musichetta is, of course), so it would be rather cool if she was as well, just for a bit of personal gratification, I guess.
but huh, d'you have any idea where the name Musichetta comes from in the first place? The one irritating thing with Hugo is that there are a decent few names I've never come across before or since reading Les Mis, and it does bother me when I don't know anything about them.
I do like your idea about Joly bringing her to Paris, though, and the Midi theory does make a great deal of sense. It's very sweet!

Public health, Aurelia! That's very nice of you. Very humanitarian. (: Haha, I think Combeferre and Joly would be very pleased with your choice, don't you say?
-Oscar Wilde

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 pm

You might say that Les Amis was one of the things that inspired me to really take a step in that direction. And the funny part was that when I mentioned this to my own real life amies (all idealists in their own ways), they were all saying "You only realized that NOW?! We all figured you'd do that!"

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Awww! Your friends sound wonderful, too. (: That's so sweet. And ha, seems like they know you very well. I do wish I had my own real-life amis, but unfortunately I don't, save for one brilliant friend I have. It is lovely that you do, though. Must have many wonderful memories...:)
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Web Graphics”