What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Icons, banners, wallpapers, etc -- share them here.
EntirelyInsane

What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Postby EntirelyInsane » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 am

Oh noes!
Yeah, apparently this is what I do in my spare time. Or, rather, what I do when I'm trying to put off studying for tomorrow's test.

I really need to stop parodying Delacroix's painting. It doesn't deserve such wretched treatment.
...Still, I couldn't help myself.
"“Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation."
-Oscar Wilde

*hears the people sing and is singing with them...loudly*

Rose In Misery

Re: What happened to Liberty? - Enjolras

Postby Rose In Misery » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 am

I suppose there have certainly been worse parodies. It's surprising how well Enjolras fits in with everyone. The painting is of the 1830 july revolution, isn't it? So it's quite logical that he should be there. Especially since Gavroche is!
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 am

Oh, man, that's an epic picture. *changes desktop image*

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 pm

:shock: Can't stop staring.

*steals Citizeness Feuilly's idea and changes desktop image'

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:29 am

Ahaha, thanks! Glad you think it's desktop-worthy! (But aye, it's my desktop currently as well...)
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 am

Hey, EntirelyInsane - your drawings on DeviantArt have been my desktop for the last 6 months! Back and forth between you and ColonelDespard. You're really good! :) And, I have to say, David Thaxton meets Delacroix meets July Revolution = unthinkable squee-worthiness.

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 am

Awww, really? Why, I'm quite touched.
(Are you on dArt, too?)
But yes, I have to agree. Quite squee-worthy, indeed...:D
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Really really! :) I think it will be some months before I switch my desktop from Enjolras Leading the People, though - it's just so beautiful!

No, I'm not on dArt. I'm the world's worst artist...the most artistic I get is either PowerPoint or spending hours writing out each Amis' signature, how I think they would have written it. Slanted calligraphy for Prouvaire, clean, slender and precise letters for Enjolras, and loopy cursive for Combeferre. A slanted, studiedly hurried style for Courfeyrac. Feuilly's writing is a bit more hesitant, the letters a little bit shaky. Bahorel's writing is small and has a hurried air - like he's dashing it off with the least possible care. Joly's is painstakingly proper, all the letters in proper proportion. Sounds deathly boring, I know, but it's actually pretty fun. :)

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Citizeness, are you bloody kidding? I'm been fooling around with character signatures since I was about eight. I used to fill entire pages of signatures of various Harry Potter characters. And in the past years, various Miserablian signatures have littered my stuff. A "Supported by Baron Marius Pontmercy" on my Napoleon notes from Euro history, "Feuilly approves!" on my Greek independence stuff, all the Amis' signatures on my French Revolution stuff...yeah. (: I get it. It's brilliant.

I like what you have, though! I've thought quite the same things for Enjolras, Jehan, Joly, and Bahorel, but I must say, I've always given Combeferre more of a spidery scrawl, my Courfeyrac has a flamboyant, fashionably messy signature, Feuilly's got spiky letters (which is prolly similar to yours anyway), and my Bossuet is sort of a scribble.

Psh, yeah, this is loads of fun! XD
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 am

Look what I just found in my drafts folder :)

YAY! Someone else expresses their Misery in a similar way! I mean, we all write fanfiction, and draw fanart with varying degrees of quality, but beyond that, it's each fangirl to herself! And I've never met anyone who writes signatures. I've filled SO many notebooks and sketchbooks, it's not even funny. I have a full shelf of them in my room...:)

Combeferre's signature as a scrawl I sort of like - he comes across as the straight-shooter med-student (which is where I drew my inspiration for the proper cursive) - but I disregarded his bad-ass revolutionary side. The scrawl stays! :)

Fashionably messy is the perfect way to describe my Courfeyrac signature. And it's very flamboyant, lots of unnecessary swirls throughout.

Feuilly's letters are spiky too - they're just a bit less confident than the others, because he would have learned writing later in life, right?

A question - do you write full, made-up names for the Amis? I used to just write their last names, as we know them, but I've branched out into their first names. If so, what do you use? I have several different "figments" of the Amis, with little changes to the characters. You know, one Enjolras is gay (and in a secret relationship with Combeferre! :P), one Enjolras is asexual, one Enjolras is consumptive. And their names change depending on which figment I'm talking about. But, the names I usually use for the Amis are below:

Lucien Enjolras
Justinien Combeferre
Alexandre Courfeyrac
Jacques Feuilly
Nicolas Grantaire
Adrien Joly
Allain Bousset
Benoit Bahorel

and Jehan Prouvaire, of course.

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 pm

YES. Although I don't have different strains of each Ami - they stay with one characterization in my mind. Except for the Enjolras/Grantaire vs Enjolras/The Republic debate, of course, and I think that has more to do with the time of the relationship than anything else.

But names.

Gabriel Enjolras
Alain Combeferre
Théophile Courfeyrac
Adrien Feuilly
Camille Joly
Henri L'aigle (or however you wanna spell his name. he signs it 'legle', right? or 'legles'? or whatever...)
Tristian Bahorel
Rene Grantaire
and Jehan Prouvaire (:

(ha, some of our names are mixed!...)

I used the names for this fanfic I started awhile ago (and technically which I'm still working on, although I haven't for a ridiculously long time), in which Valjean and Javert are the teachers of child!Amis at school. It's odd, to say the least, but rather amusing. :D

Although I do like Nicholas for Grantaire, just for the irony, and I think Alexandre isn't too bad for Combeferre, either.

Ha, I wonder what other weird things we have in common. You don't also happen to have the Amis as imaginary friends, do you?...
-Oscar Wilde

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 am

Javert and Valjean as teachers of child!Amis - now that I'd like to see! :)

YES! I do that too! I talk to them all the time - "So, Enjolras - how do I get out of this one?" "Joly, stop convincing me I'm dying, I'm sure I'm perfectly alright!" Oh my gosh, I just can't believe someone else does this!

What other weird things do I do with the Amis? Hmm...you know how some stores, they have little papers on which you can write suggestions on how to improve the store? I've filled in many of those papers, under the names of the Amis, leaving number 16, rue de la Verrerie as my address. And at my gym, I've nicknamed each of the machines as one of the Amis. I nickname subjects for the Amis, too - so Social Studies is Enjolras, Bio is Combeferre, English is Jehan Prouvaire, History is Feuilly, Chemistry is Joly, Gym is Bahorel (that fighting spirit!), etc. You get the idea.

Haha...this is fun!

Random aside - are you on Tumblr?

EntirelyInsane

Postby EntirelyInsane » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, the first two chapters are posted on my dA, if you care. I should really post it on ff.net, I guess, but I've left that account neglected for far too long...

YES!
Although Joly and I quite identify right now, as I've caught quite a bad cold. But aye, I'm trying to convince him it's because of the spread of pathogens and not because of imbalance of humors. XD

Aha! Yes, I do sign under names of the Amis occasionally. I haven't done it at stores, but in on hall passes for leaving class, it has categories of name, where you're going, time leaving the classroom, and time coming back. So I'll write something silly like "Enjolras; to the barricades; June 5; June 6"
I wrote it once in my Euro history class, and then a week or so later when I went to the bathroom again, I saw that someone else had written after me "Marius; My place is here, I fight with you!" I have no idea who it was, but I feel immensely endeared to them...

That, and I'm constantly doing things in the name of each Ami. I've been cheering for France every time it's metioned in history, but recently we went over the Treaty of Versailles and I cheered at Poland's recreation, thinking of Feuilly. (Now my class identifies me with that, which I think confuses them because generally I"m regarded as the weird Francophile of the class.) And we've got to do a craft project in my humanities class, so I'm making a fan, also in honor of Feuilly's honest work. In pre-calc, we've got to do a project on a mathematician, and I chose Arago, for Combeferre. I had a field day with Dante, thinking of Jehan. And it goes without saying that I expess radical sentiment, for the sake of Enjolras.
(I would try to arrive to every class "fashionably late" like Courfeyrac, but I don't think it'd look too good on my record, so...)

Genius, by the way, renaming all of your classes like that. Very well christened, I'd say.

Noooo, I'm not. I've had internet safety drilled into me since before I could type, so the most I do is stuff like this, masquerading under a sceen name. :3
-Oscar Wilde

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:08 pm

One thing I miss about high school is being able to yes, do funny things in honor of/because I was channeling Les Amis del'ABC. There was an infamous incident in our class involving an actual red flag, and my friends and I claiming it came from the barricades.

But that doesn't stop me from having the Amis as imaginary friends. I have a terrible feeling though that I'm gonna be hearing a lot from my imaginary Combeferre and Joly this year...this is what I get for going into medical school.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Don't worry, I terrify my classmates too. I used to be the one who would start squeeing uncontrollably whenever Romans were mentioned in class, and I'd have Latin phrases scribbled all over my binders. My nickname in school was the Roman Girl - most likely because no one could be bothered to remember my name. :P And then my obsession with Les Misérables and France started, and now I've dreadfully confused them all - so now I don't have a name, according to them. I've told them that the perfect expression of my two obsessions would be to call me a Gaul, but no one's caught on yet...:)

Same here, on the internet safety thing. I just don't tell anyone anything about me personally - and continue masquerading under a username. And besides, the stuff I blog on is so obscure and quirky, I doubt anyone's really found my page yet. Lots of Hugo quotes, rants on Parisian geography, handsome Frenchboys, French Revolution stuff, videos of David Thaxton, pictures of Paris, and obsession over UK programming.

Take a look - there should be some interesting fodder there for a Les Misérables fan: http://hornblower24601.tumblr.com/

And Aurelia - listen to your imaginary Combeferre and Joly - they'll get you through medical school perfectly well! Just make sure that their 19th century medical knowledge doesn't permeate TOO deep/displace the modern in your mind! :) I'm having an idea of a mental argument between you and Joly over the merits of leeches. :P

Return to “Web Graphics”