Doctor on the Barricade (21 Nov '13)

Share your art with us!
Martine Robespierre

Re: Nous Voulons Faire La Lumière (23 July '11)

Postby Martine Robespierre » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:16 am

I absolutely love the colours and the atmosphere, it's really intense and evocative.
Rendre un homme heureux c'est mériter d'etre homme.
Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Entendons nous sur L'égalité; car, si la liberté est le sommet, l'égalité est la base.
Enjolras

Cary

Postby Cary » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 am

@Despard: Cheers! I think a crimson dawn is also indicative of an approaching storm? ;)

@Mlle Patria: Thanks. I like the idea of "charming" and "terrible" existing side by side in Enjolras! Those are perfect qualities for a highly charismatic leader.

@Martine Robespierre: Thank you! :D

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:52 pm

This is so late, I know, but Cary, you've outdone yourself!

The red works exactly with how I always imagine Enjolras...something of fire always in him, no matter how cold his gaze may seem.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Cary

Postby Cary » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:18 pm

@Aurelia: Sorry, sorry for the incredibly late reply.... thank you very much for your comments, as always. :) And yes, the colour red seems incredibly well-suited for him, haha.

---------------------------

And here's another abrupt disappearing act, followed by an equally abrupt reappearance. [looks utterly sheepish] Um, my bad.

REFLECTION

I blame this one on Colonel Despard. Two of her beautiful E/R slash Tumblr illustrations landed in my dA message box; I'd commented on the Take Me to the ER one that it was so poignantly rendered that one would imagine it existed in its perfection in Grantaire's mind, then went and read TC Regan's excellent Den of Iniquity - and by the time I got to the bit about Grantaire's desperation for acceptance, my mind was starting to cook up scenarios that merged the two statements, ... and this picture was the result of the brewing. LOL.

And I know, the whole "different reflection in the mirror" theme has already been done half to death. I apologise.

Saint Jolras

Re: Reflection (18 Mar '12)

Postby Saint Jolras » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

That is one of the most beautiful pieces of fanart I've ever seen.

It's touching, it's heartbreaking, it's just absolutely amazing. The colors, the sadness, the way Enjolras is touching him, the intimacy, and the lack of on the other side. All of it is so breathlessly flawless. I'm just so enthralled by this piece! Wonderful work. Just marvelous!
But I don't feel like dancin' when the old joanna plays
My heart could take a chance but my two feet can't find a way
You'd think that I could muster up a little soft shoe gentle sway
But I don't feel like dancin', no sir, no dancin' today.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:29 pm

CARY! I MISSED YOU AND YOUR ARTS! :D

Oh, this is beautiful! You have managed to perfectly capture R's longing and neediness. It's so very beautiful and poignant in the way R imagines Enjolras not doing anything lewd or openly suggestive -- but instead just standing close to him.

<3
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:37 pm

So beautiful and sad! I was just re-reading the script to In the Red and Brown Water, by Tarrell Alvin McCraney, and the major physical gesture between the main character and her dickwad boyfriend is "He curls his fingers around her ear and caresses the soft". The very similar gesture in your piece here, and the way in which that relationship in In the Red and Brown Water ends, combine to add another layer of sadness.

(at least I don't think Grantaire is going to cut his ear off and hand it to Enjolras as a baby shower gift.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Cary

Postby Cary » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Thank you once again for your feedback, everyone. :D

@Saint Jolras: Thank you! I know the mirror device has been way overused, but it seemed the best way to contrast what R longs for, and what he actually has - and I'm glad the vibes have gotten through to you.

@MmeJ: I missed you too! (and all of Abaisse as well!). I wish I could say I was busy with more productive things, but the tragic truth is that I got hideously sucked into a game, and only just crawled back out. LOL. In drawing this I kept on thinking back to that Secret Santa fic you wrote, and how it ended, so this was probably flavoured by it too.

@MmeB: ROFL ear = baby shower gift! Er no, I hope Grantaire isn't booze/drug-addled enough to do that (even if E asked, lol)! I think small gestures speak tremendous volumes, especially coming from people you wouldn't expect it from (and considering how little E even touched people in the Brick), neh?

Patria

Postby Patria » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:09 am

Hey, you're back! I admire your ability to work within that color palette. The shading and candlelit feel is really exquisitely done. Bravo!
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Cary

Postby Cary » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:53 am

You will all forgive me in advance for this... >.<

While I've been eagerly anticipating the Les Misérables movie, I found, to my dismay, that I wasn't able to take that Look Down clip with Javert and JVJ seriously. The problem isn't even with Russell Crowe's less-than-spectacular voice; it's actually the mere thought of him appearing in the same scenes as Hugh Jackman. Because every time I see them together, this is all my mind's eye sees :lol: :

Image <-- CLICK FOR FULL IMAGE

I SAID I'M SORRY

[runs away!!!]

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: A Howl of Dismay... (3 Dec '12)

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 am

That is EXACTLY my problem too, Cary. I keep saying, "Oh God it's CAPTAIN AUBREY!!"

Well done!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm

:lol: That's was quite hilarious Cary! I hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, that's what I'm going to think of when I see him.

Also, great to see you back on the forum, even if it was brief. :)
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Cary

Postby Cary » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 pm

@Aurelia: Captain Aubrey AND Wolverine! :lol: 'Twould have been bad enough if there were *one* of them, but put together... and you get really strange imagery dancing in your head.

@MCombeferre: Haha, glad I managed to plant that imagery in your mind. :twisted: And thanks! you might be seeing more of me in the near future - LM fever has got my fingers twitching again.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm

This could go so many ways: Van Helsing and Robin Hood? Robert Angier and Maximus?

La_Armada

Postby La_Armada » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Cary, you just made my day, my night and possibly the rest of my year.
Jean Valogan wins everything.

Return to “Fan Art”