Doctor on the Barricade (21 Nov '13)

Share your art with us!
Maria Combeferre

Re: Anatomy Lab (10 June '11)

Postby Maria Combeferre » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Ah, yes, the smell. That would explain it. That and the insides of the not to fresh bodies would make most people wrinkle their nose to say the least. But not Combeferre. Oh no. :D
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Very cool; I love the scenery as well as the men themselves.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Oh, wow, this is amazing. I always love the detail in your work. (And with the number of us on this board who are too much in love with Stephen Maturin for our own good, no one is going to complain about a little receding hairline on Combeferre *g*.)

Depending on the relationship (and age) you want between Joly and Combeferre, there's always the strong possibility that Joly is annoyed because Combeferre, as an older student and supervisor in the dissection room, is taking the good bit. Older students did supervise, and one of the perks was that they could claim any interesting body parts they wanted. Whatever organ he's pulling out must be diseased in a particularly interesting way, and he's exercising his rights over Joly's head.

Or, more charitably, he's just done a very neat removal and Joly is annoyed because he's jealous :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:45 am

:D I love your Combeferre so much. Even when he is up to his elbows in a dead body.

Actually I think I love all your renderings of the boys. They are so individual and so themselves.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Cary

Postby Cary » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 am

@Maria: His olfactory nerves don't work, maybe? ;)

@Ulkis: Thanks, glad you like it!

@MmeB: Cheers! and re: hairline - haha! I just finished Post Captain, so I see where Maturin ties in with all this. Glad you like this, and I'm digging the speculation of Combeferre calling dibs on interestingly diseased body parts. He'd kill for some of the specimens in my uni's medical museum, I think (the intestine section with worms sticking out of it would've sent him into ecstasy, it was so pretty).

@MmeJ: [is roffling over the bit about Combeferre being up to his elbows in a dead body] :lol: Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoy my characterisation of the Amis!

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Cary wrote:@Maria: His olfactory nerves don't work, maybe? ;)

Or maybe he's just not about to let something as trivial as smells get in the way of slicing up bodies. I mean, as a good learning experience of course. *cough* :oops:

Maybe he's one of those who get so into their work that they simply don't notice the distractions around them (like nasty smells, Courfeyracs in love, Feuillys going on about Poland, Jollllys who are about to die, for the third time this semester, from something only the two med student has heard of, Bossuets accidental tripping Louisons as they walk past with their trays...) and simply hasn't noticed it.

Cary wrote:@MmeB: Cheers! and re: hairline - haha! I just finished Post Captain, so I see where Maturin ties in with all this. Glad you like this, and I'm digging the speculation of Combeferre calling dibs on interestingly diseased body parts. He'd kill for some of the specimens in my uni's medical museum, I think (the intestine section with worms sticking out of it would've sent him into ecstasy, it was so pretty).

That is so grose! But of course Combeferre wouldn't think so, no. Oh, he'd have a field day. :)

I dread the idea of introducing Combeferre to Mauturin. Put those two in room and I don't think they would ever come out! Especially if the room happens to at the Med school. They would simply get along to well.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Maria, have you heard the geeky crossover fanon that Mme Javert and Marianne came up with? Maturin, after the Napoleonic Wars, retires to Paris and returns to the medical school in some instructor capacity *g*.

(I just stick with Courfeyrac is related to Christy-Pallière so maybe I can get him over to England on a family visit and meet up with Babbington.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:22 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:Maria, have you heard the geeky crossover fanon that Mme Javert and Marianne came up with? Maturin, after the Napoleonic Wars, retires to Paris and returns to the medical school in some instructor capacity *g*.

I refuse to believe that this didn't happen. ;)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:43 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:Maria, have you heard the geeky crossover fanon that Mme Javert and Marianne came up with? Maturin, after the Napoleonic Wars, retires to Paris and returns to the medical school in some instructor capacity *g*.

(I just stick with Courfeyrac is related to Christy-Pallière so maybe I can get him over to England on a family visit and meet up with Babbington.)

Oh, wow! No I haven't, but it just works. On every level. Of course it happened! And Courfeyrac and Babbibgton? Good grief! :D

Patria

Postby Patria » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 pm

I have always lurked on your art forum and never posted here, because I keep realizing that if I did, I'd comment on everything you've ever drawn and submit such a long post that the servers would crash.

But I really gotta say it: I love everything you've ever drawn. Ever. And I plan on gushing over all of it out loud from now on. That is all!

Also, this anatomy lab picture made me laugh because I'm going into EMT training soon and a cadaver lab is on the list for one of our field trips. Luckily, when it comes to this sort of thing I'm more of a Combeferre than a Joly. :lol:
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 pm

This is just...five billion levels of awesome.

As always I love your characterisations (am not even going into how floored and awed I am by your technique)....but perhaps what I love most is that you depict a slice-of-life moment (heh...almost literally a slice) that is outside the whole dramatic revolutionary sphere.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Bohemian Red Head

Postby Bohemian Red Head » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 am

Wow... it's just... WOW.

I was looking back through your older artwork and you are amazing! I love the coloring you use in a lot of these, too.

P.S. Anatomy lab is my favorite. It's pure joy.

Cary

Postby Cary » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:53 am

Again, sorry with the late replies! :(

@Patria: Server crash! LOL. But thank you, and I'm very happy that you like my pictures. :D

@Despard: Cheers! There's so little Hugo tells about their lives outside being seditious and revolutionary that I sometimes feel the need to fill in the blanks for myself. Though I'm pretty sure that this scene was inspired in part by something that (I think) you wrote about Combeferre and dissection!

@Bohemian Red Head: Thank you very much! And gross anatomy is awesome.

-----------

NOUS VOULONS FAIRE LA LUMIERE*

I can't think of a better colour for Enjolras, given Hugo's description of him being capable of being terrible, and how he was "severe in his pleasures." And to be honest, I've always thought of him as highly intense at all times. So consider this a colour exercise in attempting to make said colour work for him? [My apologies if it looks a tad ominious!]

*Okay, maybe more Le Feu de la Révolution than La Lumière. :lol: But still, illuminating the world. ... Although, when one puts it like that, Lucifer Morningstar** comes to mind.]

**Mind you, I won't even try to deny that my visualisation of Enjolras has always been influenced by Scott Hampton's beautiful, terrible Lucifer.

Col.Despard

Re: Nous Voulons Faire La Lumière (23 July '11)

Postby Col.Despard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:12 am

Oh...wow...illuminating the world, with more than a touch of flame! Could also be a very, very intense dawn, with which he is also associated. The blue eyes contrasted with the red...it is all very powerful and yes, with a touch of terror to it as well.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Mlle Patria

Re: Nous Voulons Faire La Lumière (23 July '11)

Postby Mlle Patria » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Very intense, and I agree with Despard that the red contrasts amazingly with the blue of his eyes. I definitely see "a charming young man who was capable of being terrible."
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Return to “Fan Art”