Doctor on the Barricade (21 Nov '13)

Share your art with us!
Rose In Misery

Re: Ill-Remembered Weeks of Drugged Folly (rated R) (29 Mar '11)

Postby Rose In Misery » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Love it! Especially the swirling smoke and all the different shades of green. Very Dorian Gray. :D
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:43 am

Absolutely brilliant...atmospheric and rather Hogarthian!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Abelarda

Postby Abelarda » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 am

Very decadent and absolutely beautiful.
Tell me, I've still a lot to learn,
Understand, these fires never stop,
Believe me, when this joke is tired of laughing,
I will hear the promise of my Orpheus sing...
(David Sylvian)

Cary

Postby Cary » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 am

@MmeJ: I'm glad you like it! :D That bit in the story was so vivid, I needed to paint it.

@Aurelia: Thanks! Er... R is the one with his back to the viewer, taking in the scene (the one half-lying may or may not be Patrice, if you've read the story).

@Carotid: Thank you! I wasn't sure what colours were associated with opium, but I figured greens might make things look unsettling or unwholesome rather than sultry and midway desirable. :lol:

@Rose in Misery: Ha, Dorian Gray! :D Thanks!

@Despard: Cheers! And haha, Hogarth and Joseph Wright were two people whose works I studied for atmosphere and inspiration while doing this (in fact, the picture was partly inspired by A Rake's Progress).

@Abelarda: Thank you. :)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh, I haven't been reading the story. Oops with my mistake. :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 am

:D I just think it's really awesome. I zoomed in on it and just delighted in all the tiny little touches, like the pipes and the spilled glass of wine and all the wonderful little decorations all over the floor and walls and the totally decadent drugged-out expressions on all their faces. :D

(Ahem. I am editing the story to fix some serious errors so I'll probably update my fic thread with a link--hopefully shortly!)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Cary

Postby Cary » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:34 am

Glad you're digging the details! Did you uhm, happen to notice the activities in the background? ;) They've been partially obscured by the smoke, so I don't know how much can still be made out, but here's a desmokified version, in case you're wondering if your eyes were playing tricks on you.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:37 am

Oooh yes! ;) That's why I zoomed in: "wait, is that guy in the background with a girl--OH YES, I do believe he is! :D" It is so awesome, I love this pic. I love artwork where you can look at it for ages and keep finding new and interesting things when you turn your eyes onto a different corner, and it's so... vivid! Poor Grantaire. *cough* ;)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Cary

Postby Cary » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 am

"wait, is that guy in the background with a girl--OH YES, I do believe he is!"

:lol: If you're referring to the guy to the right, I blame that Victorian Tumblr blog Despard linked to in her LJ sometime back (specifically that "Courfeyrac in a boat" one) for serving as inspiration!

Apocalyn87

Re: Ill-Remembered Weeks of Drugged Folly (rated R) (29 Mar

Postby Apocalyn87 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:32 am

Cary, you are all kinds of amazing. :D

For some reason, seeing this Mizzy drawings before going to bed make my spring break much more enjoyable.

Lara

Postby Lara » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:22 pm

1. Cary, I love your art so much. It's always gorgeous, often hilarious, and consistently fantastic in general.
2. Javert molesting stars is basically going to haunt me for the rest of my days.
3. The mood is so good in the most recent one. Loooove the smoke especially.

Cary

Postby Cary » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Lara and Apocalyn87, thanks very much for your comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. (And sorry for the late reply!)

------------------

So I managed to miss Barricade Day this year, on account of a twice-stolen phone line resulting in no internet connection for a ridiculously long period of time... :x Ah well. What I had planned for Barricade Day gets shelved until next year; what you get to see instead is this piece of deranged crap below that resulted from an obviously overly-bored mind unable to access the 'net.

ANATOMY LAB

Er... a warning: subject matter may not be palatable to everyone!

Image <<-- CLICK ME

You're probably going to have to suspend your belief here a little: because I had no internet while painting this and couldn't conduct sufficient research, there may be facepalm-worthy anachronisms. :lol: That, and I never even worked out if Joly and Combeferre might even be of the same age/in the same year/etc... so yeah. Make up your own explanation.

[And no, you're not imagining it: 'Ferre's hair *is* receding at the temples. Always has. ;) I like him that way.]

[Oh, and Combeferre? you might want to speed things up a bit. Your, um, subject is starting to marble...]

Maria Combeferre

Re: Anatomy Lab (10 June '11)

Postby Maria Combeferre » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Crap? More like "Holy Crap!"! It's gorgeous! The paleness of the light and coloring, your signature as graffiti, the deadness of the cadaver, Combeferre's expression bordering one that might consider a career as amusement or at least interest (At least to me that looks like a curve to his lips, but I'm louse at reading expressions, so...), and Jolllly's...not so much. You're awesome!
And classmates? Works very well, I'd say, even if I usually imagined Combeferre as perhaps two or three years older than Jollly. But that's hardly enough to say they couldn't be at university together. Look at Marius and Bossuet. But the school really ought to invest in some higher tables, though. Seriously, that posture can not be good for their backs. Or maybe they did think it through and decided it was better if they didn't have to bend their arms so much while cutting. Hmm.
The hairline is adorable! Except it kinda reminds of my uncle o_O Not in bad way, though, just ever so slightly disturbing. He really ought to pick up his nevertheless.
This is definitely another favorite! It's great!
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Don't sell yourself short Cary! It's very good; I like the way that you've lit the scene and Joly's expression. He looks like he's annoyed with Combeferre for some reason.
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Cary

Postby Cary » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 pm

@Maria: Cheers! Glad you like the picture. Joly might or might not be reacting to the smell, as the labs would have gotten more and more "fragrant" as days passed (even in colder seasons)... although Combeferre doesn't seem to mind? LOL!

And re: tables - I know, right? I have this vintage photo of an anatomy lab, and there were these guys hunched over the table, which leads one to wonder if the guys were really tall or if the tables were just really low. :lol: I guess that's what the stools were for! (Only nobody seemed to use them).

@Mamselle Miss: Thanks! Is Joly annoyed with *Combeferre*, or the smell/sight of the no-longer-fresh cadaver, I wonder? :lol:

Return to “Fan Art”