Doctor on the Barricade (21 Nov '13)

Share your art with us!
Cary

Doctor on the Barricade (21 Nov '13)

Postby Cary » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Too much graphite, too little time. I think that basically summarizes my relationship with art. :lol: In the event that I *actually* manage to get anywhere with my "illustrate scenes from Les Mis" plans, this will serve as my character reference sheet; if not, consider it an idle exercise in drawing Les Amis as they appear in my mind:

[The tinted overlay is from my personal stock of aged paper.]

The spectacles design was borrowed off a portrait of Rubens Peale. I readily admit that Feuilly was partly by the illustration for the "Friends of the ABC" chapter in (I think) Isabel Hapgood's translation of the brick, though Mme Bahorel's excellent Corner of the Sky fanfic imprinted an indelible image of him in my brain.

I don't know if any of the characters are actually identifiable; Force knows I tried it on a female friend and almost strangled my pencil in despair. My apologies in advance for any bizarre interpretation(s) and anachronisms that may have snuck into the picture. (Certainly smudges, at any rate).
Last edited by Cary on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 44 times in total.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:39 pm

It's absolutely beautiful! Not only gorgeously rendered with consummate skill, each character is very clearly delineanted (not just through their accourtrements either, e.g. Jehan and his flower or Feuilly and the worker's cap). Courfeyrac's beautiful grin and charm; Enjolras looking at some distant vision beyond the day to day (but still looking as if he could snap back at any moment); Combeferre with steady intelligent gaze and book; Bahorel looking like a pretty tough customer (no, I would not be picking a fight with this man); gorgeous Jehan in a reverie; Joly being, well, Joly; Bossuet's infectious humour and Grantaire with an alcohol induced bleariness, set at the diagonal opposite to Enjolras. I haven't even drawn Joly yet, and this is almost exactly as I see him (sans glasses in my version).

Wow...so much to rave about in this. Like the waistcoat detailing and the fabulous cravats, not to mention the hair...anyway, love it very much. More please? Much much more?
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:50 pm

That's gorgeous! Gosh, I love how I know them immediately. Look at Joly! He cracked me up a little, poor guy. I also like Courfeyrac demanding to be the centre of attention. This is incredible!

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:02 pm

Ooooh, frenchboys! I love them all, they look so human and real and... different from how I imagine them, which is a good thing, really. Their expressions are absolutely my favourite, making these boys seem like real people rather than words and doodles on a page...
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:12 pm

This is amazing. And yes, they are identifiable, and the costuming and expressions are delightful.

I particularly enjoy seeing how different people interpret Lesgle's baldness :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Bramblefox

Postby Bramblefox » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:43 am

*jawdrop* This...this is... *sputter*

This is simply AMAZING. Even my younger brother could tell who is who, and he's just absorbed Les Mis knowledge by being around me (and he likes Joly's expression, by the way :D ). The faces, the clothes (exquisite cravats and waistcoats, purely exquisite), just the whole way it's set up...it's just fantastic. And you SHOULD do an 'illustrate scenes from Les Mis' project. I'm dying to see your Javert, and Valjean, and even Marius... :D
"There, I have burned my coat. They always make the fires too damn hot in these stoves."
http://bramblefox.weebly.com

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:14 am

Oh, wow, this is incredible! I love how Courfeyrac is at the center, smirking away. And his hair! Oh I love his hair.

You have endowed them all with such clear aspects of their personalities, it's wonderful! Enjolras with his faraway gaze, Combeferre clutching his book, Jehan musing over flowers, Joly in the grip of la grippe... Wow. I just do not have the words to say how much I love this and you. Please keep on drawing! The Republic has need of it, citizen!

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:12 pm

Very nicely done. I especially love Prouvaire and Joly, I wanna hug them. :D
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Postby 9430 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:14 pm

So beautiful, and easily identifiable with their personalities. Can't stop looking at this picture, they seem to leap to life in this drawing.
aka Fiwen

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:35 pm

That's beautiful, great work!

Cary

Postby Cary » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 pm

@Col.Despard: Thanks very much! I guess I shan't have to strangle the rest of my pencils after all. No, Bahorel is somebody I wouldn't want to tangle with either (and if he were to pick the fight first, well, there are plenty of appointments to suddenly remember to keep!). It amuses me to think that Joly wears glasses not because he actually needs them, but because he *perceives* that he has some sort of ocular impairment. I do have a rather big project planned (complete with concept thumbnails), but I simply can't match your speed at finishing drawings!

@lesmisloony: I'm glad you can tell who's who! :D

@MmeJavert: Thanks! I think we all have different impressions of them, haha. I had fun giving them all imperfections to varying degrees (except Enjolras, whose good looks are stressed to kingdom come in the book...).

MmeBahorel: Thank you! and LOL re: Lesgles- Not knowing a word of French, I simply took Wilbour's translation literally. I haven't seen much of him around; it would be interesting to see other people's versions of him.

@Bramblefox: Yeah, I've started concept sketches for a big (for me) Les Mis illustration; no telling when it'll get done though. Thanks!

@a_maguerite: Thanks! I'm glad their personalities came across.

@Mamselle Miss: Hug away; I think neither Prouvaire and Joly receive the kind of attention E/C/C get. ;)

@9430: Thank you! I'm glad they come across as believable characters.

@Ulkis: Thanks!

cordeliersclub

Postby cordeliersclub » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:33 pm

I've looked at this a few times now (...because of how creepy I am), and each time more meticulous and inspired details become apparent. I LOVE the beautiful cover of Combeferre's book, I love Grantaire's Enjolras-inspired waistcoat and Bossuet's rugby-striped one. I love how the characters extend to the way their cravats are knotted (or unknotted, as the case may be). I love Enjolras' Tom Cruise nose and perfect eyebrows. And the date on Grantaire's bottle! And the flag.

...So basically, I am the biggest creeper in this forum, but I love this to death.
les Amis de l'ABC do not laugh at puns.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm so looking forward to the big project - would love to see the concept drawings, too! Less speed would benefit my work, as I'm very slapdash in everything I do...it's a pleasure to see someone who is so thoughtful (not to mention dazzlingly talented) in what they do. Have you seen K von Dork's work? She has a DevArt account as HistoryKnight - she's someone else who puts a good deal of consideration into her art, and it shows in the end result.

I'm so glad to see that you're planning on illustrating scenes...there are moments in that book that are crying out for an excellent illustrator, as they're so marvellously visual. Either broadly cinemagraphic or lovely intimate character moments. I was trying to interest one fantastic illustrative artist over on DevArt who did a scene from the musical, and he has said he'd tackle the book and do some illustrations, but you're already there with the text and have such clear character ideas.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Cary

Postby Cary » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:08 am

@cordeliersclub: Thanks! I'm glad you're getting a kick out the details. (I like sneaking in subtle details, things that don't get noticed right away). For some reason I didn't exactly plan on Grantaire's waistcoat echoing Enjolras' - it was a simple case of, "Oh look, here's an unconcealed waistcoat, let's put brocade on it" - but you're right, it does look as if Grantaire's fashion sense is at least partially influenced by Enjolras', aheheh. The date on the bottle is actually this year, with the rest of the label bearing my name, because I'm also sneaky like that.

@Col. Despard: Uh... you wouldn't happen to be talking about the person who did The Fall of Enjolras, would you? :lol:

Oh yeah, I've seen K von Dork's pieces, both here and on dA; all very well thought out pieces, with a very nice whimsical flavour. I'll have to put her on my watchlist.

K. von Dork

Postby K. von Dork » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:46 am

I have so much catching up to do-here, on dA, anywhere, so please excuse my late reply.

ANYHOO, this is lovely, and I do these like, every 3 or so months, but haven't made time to do another one. Yours is truly fabulous (more than 10,024,601 times better than the one I made eons ago) and captures each ami well-I especially like Prouvaire and JOLY HAHA! Poor little hypochondriac!

Also, the references to my scribbles flatter me. XD I'm currently (and diligently!) working on one that I started in late July!

Return to “Fan Art”