Display advice?

Share your art with us!
RougeBlatant

Display advice?

Postby RougeBlatant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:19 am

So basically it's world book day at my school, I'm planning on dressing up as that one revolutionary that I don't think I need to name.
Anyway.
My main problem is what to wear, I don't really intend to follow the musical or film interpretations as it would end up ridiculously expensive, but I still want it to work. I've ordered a flag, already have a red coat (I have to fix a button) and I may make a cockade (still debating whether to do so). I just want to know, does anyone have any suggestions on what else to wear, particular hair styles and other such things. (I can't ever remember Victor Hugo describing his appearance...) I guess my ideas are quite close to the

deHavilland

Re: Display advice?

Postby deHavilland » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:33 pm

I'm assuming given the movie's red coat that you mean Enjolras. (Because when you say that one revolutionary that I don't think I need to name, my brain goes to Bahorel. And then maybe to Combeferre. Oooh and then Courfeyrac, because every answer seems like the obvious answer.)

Hugo devoted a good amount of Enjolras' introduction to his physical description, actually:

Enjolras was a charming young man, who was capable of being terrible. He was angelically handsome. He was a savage Antinous. One would have said, to see the pensive thoughtfulness of his glance, that he had already, in some previous state of existence, traversed the revolutionary apocalypse. He possessed the tradition of it as though he had been a witness. He was acquainted with all the minute details of the great affair. A pontifical and warlike nature, a singular thing in a youth. He was an officiating priest and a man of war; from the immediate point of view, a soldier of the democracy; above the contemporary movement, the priest of the ideal. His eyes were deep, his lids a little red, his lower lip was thick and easily became disdainful, his brow was lofty. A great deal of brow in a face is like a great deal of horizon in a view. Like certain young men at the beginning of this century and the end of the last, who became illustrious at an early age, he was endowed with excessive youth, and was as rosy as a young girl, although subject to hours of pallor. Already a man, he still seemed a child. His two and twenty years appeared to be but seventeen; he was serious, it did not seem as though he were aware there was on earth a thing called woman. He had but one passion--the right; but one thought--to overthrow the obstacle. On Mount Aventine, he would have been Gracchus; in the Convention, he would have been Saint-Just. He hardly saw the roses, he ignored spring, he did not hear the carolling of the birds; the bare throat of Evadne would have moved him no more than it would have moved Aristogeiton; he, like Harmodius, thought flowers good for nothing except to conceal the sword. He was severe in his enjoyments. He chastely dropped his eyes before everything which was not the Republic. He was the marble lover of liberty. His speech was harshly inspired, and had the thrill of a hymn. He was subject to unexpected outbursts of soul. Woe to the love-affair which should have risked itself beside him! If any grisette of the Place Cambrai or the Rue Saint-Jean-de-Beauvais, seeing that face of a youth escaped from college, that page's mien, those long, golden lashes, those blue eyes, that hair billowing in the wind, those rosy cheeks, those fresh lips, those exquisite teeth, had conceived an appetite for that complete aurora, and had tried her beauty on Enjolras, an astounding and terrible glance would have promptly shown her the abyss, and would have taught her not to confound the mighty cherub of Ezekiel with the gallant Cherubino of Beaumarchais.

But really, tie a tricolor sash around your waist and call it a day if you're not trying to emulate any particular incarnation. Everything else you've suggested sounds like you're already on the right track.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

RougeBlatant

Re: Display advice?

Postby RougeBlatant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:49 pm

(I just realised that it was autocorrected to display)

I should have been more clear there, sorry about that, but yes, I do mean Enjolras. (I would have in fact gone as one of the others if they were more well known, at least with most people you can say, "that one guy that gets shot out the window in the movie," and they would know who you mean rather then "the guy that gets shot through the floor in the movie.")

Anyway, this is a great help, I tried to do some research but couldn't find them and I looked in my own copy but after looking through all the tags realised I hadn't booked marked any particularly descriptive parts.

I really like that idea actually I'll check now if I have the fabrics, if not I'm going to the fabric shop tomorrow for materials for my brothers costume too, so I can look there...

Once again, thanks! I really appreciate it.

Return to “Fan Art”