The Drawings of YoungStudentMarius

Share your art with us!
YoungStudentMarius

The Drawings of YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Um...yeah. So, these are all from a very long time ago. A bit too long, really. Around a year to a year and two-thirds. I'd like to be able to say I've gotten better since then, but, um, I really don't know how true that would be. :oops: Anyway, these were just kind of, you know...drawings, I suppose. Pardon the fact that they're pretty much all based off the musical in terms of appearance/dress; I know much more about 1830s clothing, now, and could draw much more accurate representations. :mrgreen: These are very historically, um, wrong. In fact, I'd like to redo a lot of these. I know things are ridiculously out-of-proportion, especially the heads, and I've been mocked for these because they look "socially awkward-- proportions are all wrong!" But they were fun, and well, you know. I guess maybe, I was thinking about sharing them, and seeing what people thought. Seeing as I've had them locked in a drawer for almost a year. So, um...have pity on me? :wink:

Jean Valjean:

Javert:

Fantine:

Cosette:

Thenardier:

Mme Thenardier:

Éponine:

Marius:

Enjolras:

Gavroche:

Jean, Valjean, my brother:

The Rescue of Fauchelevent:

Fantine's Death:

Banished!

The Gorbeau Robbery:

Pardon me, I am here:

The Attack on the Rue Plumet:

Javert Discovered:

The Agony of Death:

Be off, or I'll blow up the barricade!

I Have a Letter:

The Sewers:

Return of the Grandson:

Javert's Suicide:

And...that appears to be it. :oops:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Azelma_T1995

Re: The Drawings of YoungStudentMarius

Postby Azelma_T1995 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 pm

those are amazing! you are so good. my favorite one if probably "Pardon me, I am here", it has such good detail.
There is nothing like a dream to create a future
- Victor Hugo.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Thank you very much! :mrgreen: I greatly appreciate it.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:32 pm

These are cute Marius :D I like how you try to use light in them, even though they're only drawing. I like your Cosette and Enjy the best of the characters I think :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Acaila wrote:These are cute Marius :D I like how you try to use light in them, even though they're only drawing. I like your Cosette and Enjy the best of the characters I think :D

The same. :D Cosette is adorable, as is the Pardon Me one.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks, Acaila! :mrgreen: Yeah, I know, the light thing's a little pathetic at times, and I tried to avoid it, but eventually, it would sneak its way in whether I wanted it there or not. :wink: Which means I should probably learn how to draw shadows...but alas, I am not that skilled. And thank you, too, Gervais! Yay, you both like Enjy! :D I was worried about him.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 am

I love them Marius! :)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Oh God these are incredibly beautiful! You are so talented! Éponine and Cosette are amazing, and then I absolutely adore the Fauchelevant scene, and Fantine's death, so perfectly drawn! Your Marius in the garden scene and your Enjolras in Javert's arrest are stunning, as well as the barricade! Oh and Javert's suicide! Perfect backgrounds and movement in the figures!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Juliet24601

Postby Juliet24601 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Wow Marius these are fantastic - Fantine and Cosette have such pretty eyes, and The Return of the Grandson is very moving. Poor Javert at the end! :(
x J x

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:35 am

Oh, thank you, both of you. :mrgreen: I was feeling very nervous, so I'm glad you liked them a bit. And thank you, Juliet, and I think I'll confess that if forced to choose, I'm probably the most proud of Return of the Grandson, imperfect scale and all, though I did have fun with each of them.

Juliet24601

Postby Juliet24601 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah it looks as if it was fun, I haven't drawn anything for a while but you guys are putting me in the mood to have a go!
x J x

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm

You should! I'd love to see, if you did, and I think it was quite fun. :D

Juliet24601

Postby Juliet24601 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I have one idea of one that I might attempt...I'll keep you posted!
x J x

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 am

Oh wow, Marius, I've been really remiss in not having commented yet!

I am so very impressed with the level of detail you put into these, taking the time to draw out all the bricks and paneling and leaves, the detail is amazing! But what I love best is what you've done with the lighting in all of them - especially since they're done in pencil! The stream of light in the one with the candlesticks perfectly illuminates the action and I'm totally enamored with the way you have Javert's shadow in Fantine's Death.

Also, the reflection of Notre Dame in the water of Javert's Suicide is to die for.

Wait, no, Javert, that's not --
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:07 am

Oh, thank you so much, Geronimo, I know, I'm late in responding to your wonderful comments, too, but they made me feel very, very happy, especially because I know there's all these ways I could improve, so that you actually liked them means a whole lot to me. :mrgreen: And thank you, on the reflection! Funny story, actually: I decided to draw that one after I realised for the first time that Javert committed suicide in between the Notre Dame and Palais du Justice, which kind of blew my mind. :wink: And then I literally spent the next three days trying to find a good picture that showed the two in relation to each other and the Pont-au-Change, scouring maps upon maps, and google earth, to no avail. Then the next day, I literally walk into a half-price bookshop and buy an abridged copy of Notre Dame de Paris in french to help me study, open it up to the page before the title page as I'm walking out, and there, right there, is a blocked-out drawing of Paris, and really, the only two things that are shaded in are the Notre Dame and the Palais du Justice. :lol: Talk about coincidence.

Return to “Fan Art”