Costumes!

Share your art with us!
YoungStudentMarius

Costumes!

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:33 am

So...after close on four months as a part of this brilliant forum, I have learned a lot. Including, thanks to you all, how to use a computer! :mrgreen: Which means I can now post photos. And now, after a long time of promising to share pics of my Enjolras costume, I have finally succeeded.

Hope you like them! I've made several Les Mis costumes now, so there'll be plenty more pictures later, I hope. Um...I should probably let you know I sew pretty much everything without patterns. And by hand, with a needle and thread. So if it looks awkward, it's because I'm kind of new to this.

Here's the vest itself. It's not quite as reflective in real life.

Here's some of the detail on it. Altogether, there are around 75 gold dome buttons I sewed on, and a whole lot of braiding.

You can also open up the gold sections in the center a little and show some darker red fabric insides.

Now, the costume all together:

The scarf was some black cloth I hemmed on both sides, and the tricolor sash I also made. Oh, and I kind of raided the storage closet and found away to unscrew the handle from a mop for the flag. It's actually pretty large and rather fun to wave in the air.

I hand-sewed the shirt, too, from an old sheet. It has large, billowy sleeves that are rolled up just past the elbow. It's actually quite comfortable and fun to walk around town in. :wink:

Thanks, guys! Hope you like it. It was remarkably fun to make, actually, and the world just seems a little better sometimes if you walk around in an Enjolras vest. :wink: And what Miz-fit hasn't wanted one? And random challenging projects are just...fun.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

AriadneIS

Re: Costumes!

Postby AriadneIS » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 am

:shock: Oh, WOW. When you said you made costumes... I am amazed. That looks so well done, and so incredibly detailed!
And yes, the world does look better when you're wearing an Enjolras costume. :wink:
Good job again!

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:53 am

*jaw drop* Oh. My. God. Those are amazing-- like, professional-production-of-Les Mis-level amazing!!!!!!
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks, guys. :oops: I'm really glad you like it. They were all quite fun to do, and gave me a break from schoolwork and stuff. But thank you, I appreciate it.
If I'm ever near a small-level production, I think it would be ridiculously fun to costume Les Mis. There's so much you could do. And I've got most of them made, so it wouldn't be all that difficult, even if I had to re-do a few. But I don't know if that'll ever happen. One can hope... :D
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:13 am

THAT IS SO COOL!! *calms down* Marius, that looks amazing!! Seriously, that is so cool! Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

La_Armada

Postby La_Armada » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:40 am

OH MY GOD IT'S THE DELICIOUS VEST OF SMEX. FANGIRL ATTACK!1!!1
Marius, you nailed it. It's beautiful. It could be used in a professional production. Please, post the rest of the costumes asap.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm

MARIUS! It's so GORGEOUS. So professional. So intricate. So beautiful. Wow. You have such wonderful skill... Omigoshomigoshomisgosh, can you post Éponine too? Any everyone else that you've made for that matter? I am sooo amazed. Wow. :D
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Odetta

Postby Odetta » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:46 am

That's amazing! The vest is perfect! If I tried making Enjolras's vest it would kill me! I'm a horrible perfectionist when it comes to little details no one cares about :p
I just finished sewing a Cosette inspired dress; I called it inspired because, although it's very similar to the one she wears in the new production I added some of my own embellishments.
(and a random thought: when I type Enjolras's my computer wants to correct it to entrails o.O)
Insanity destroys reason, but not wit- Nathaniel Emmons

If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved- Russell Lynes

Won NaNoWriMo 2012

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:37 am

Oh, yay, I'm so glad you all like it...Nothing much to it, really, just trial and error...cut comething here, snip something there, and hope it turns out right. :wink: Eventually it did. And I can totally relate to the "perfectionist" thing, Odetta. I guess I didn't worry about small details as much, though, because I didn't ever think it would amount to much of anything. It was more of a random "it's a Monday night during the busiest time of the year and I have to go to bed in an hour and Enjolras has a cool vest and I'd like one and oh look there's a bunch of random red fabric in my closet from a party hey let's try and make one because I'm sick of homework and it'd be fun. Right now." sort of thing. :lol:

Sure! I'll post pictures of Éponine's this weekend. :D Hers was fun to do, even if the trenchcoat-attempt is a failing excuse for a raggedy mishap. :roll: But I'd love to show you all; most people don't like to listen, or don't understand, if I show them my costumes. :(

Oh, I like the dress Cosette wears for the tour! Much better than the original, I think. I made that one, or something resembling it, around the middle of June as a summer project. That one I did use a pattern for, though, because it would have just been a little too insane otherwise. But it was quite fun. I'd love to see yours, too, Odetta. I'll try and get some pictures of mine soon, maybe this weekend, I'll try and upload a few costumes. :D Thanks, guys!

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 pm

What kinds of material did you use? These are so pretty! :D :D :D
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:12 am

Ribbons, actually, Bricklayer. :D Lots and lots and lots of ribbon...Those fancy red velvet christmas ribbons with wire edging and gold backing. Just cut them to the appropriate shapes, twist 'em around a little, and make some modifications, but it actually worked really well, using the underside instead. As for the vest itself, that was some random fabric that had been sitting in our house for a couple years just waiting to be made into the Vest of Doom and a Flag of Revolution. :wink: No household object is safe... :wink:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 pm

:shock: *slow clapping*

That looks like the real deal...wow.
I don't have that kind of patience. At all. All those little details... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's hoping that a regional production opens near you sometime. Really.
Sorry for prying, but I'm curious: is professional tailoring & sewing what you want to do? You'd be awesome at it.

YoungStudentMarius wrote:: No household object is safe... :wink:

Resourcefulness is always good :wink:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm

That is amazing! :D
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:46 am

How do you do the gold part? yours looks amazing!!! :D

I started on one today, I made the red vest part and was going to use part of an old curtain drawback as the gold trim--- but it did not look right, so I undid it... Help?
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Thank you, Emily! And thank you also for alerting me to the fact that I, um, am tremendously late with posting in here...sorry, pictures aren't ready. Soon. :oops:

Good luck, Emily! I hope you can make one. The gold trim I used was made of Christmas ribbon; you can get the idea slightly from this: http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/6062/6h/s7diod-isorigin.scene7.com/is/image/frontgate/T_WithoutZoom?$wfsc$&$src=62208_main So, gold-backed with a red velvet front (though mine didn't have designs like that one) and wire edges. Then, you simply use the backside and cut and fold until it looks right. :D Have fun, and good luck!

And to answer your question from forever ago, Gervais, I haven't really thought about going into sewing/tailoring, etc, but I do think it's a fun hobby, and thank you. And to tell you the truth, I'm not quite sure what I do want to do professionally...
And I'll try and get more pictures up soon, guys. :oops: It's been far too long.

Return to “Fan Art”