The Abaissé Marie Suzette Challenge

Share your stories with us!
Marianne

The Abaissé Marie Suzette Challenge

Postby Marianne » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 am

Share your Mary Sues with us.

The fic about Combeferre's mistress that you've been working on without ever posting. The abysmal "gypsy woman drags Javert out of the Seine" travesty you wrote when you were thirteen. The secret fantasy of an awesome revolutionary grisette that you never actually wrote. The female character you toned down to avoid the Sue label, but who was secretly supposed to be sparkly and special and amazing.

Hell, make one up on the spot and tell us about her. Write a Mary Sue just for the fun of it. I want to see what you guys can come up with.

(Actually, you guys are so awesome that I really just want to see you superpowered and running around 1830s Paris.)

The rules of the Abaissé Marie Suzette Challenge:

1. No shame.

2. No shaming. You don't get to point and laugh at other people's Sues. Not even for color-changing eyes.

3. Editing to make the writing style suck less is okay. Editing to tone down the Mary Sue's speshul awesomeness is contrary to the spirit of the challenge.

4. MOAR AWESOME IS BETTER.

And if some of you actually do this crazy thing and post your Sues, I will attempt an illustration of the Mad Steampunk Adventures of Marianne, Engineer of Calculating Devices and Arithmetical Engines, and how she seduced Combeferre with an unlikely combination of scientific progress and not-so-feminine wiles.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Falstaff

Re: The Abaissé Marie Suzette Challenge

Postby Falstaff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 am

If Mary Sues were sponsored by 4H, this little piggie would win the blue ribbon at the Dumb 12-Year-Old County Fair.

Her name was Tristessa Kayne Pendragon, and she was supposed to be the main character in some poorly conceived original work; however, she still had a tangential connection to Les Misérables which I'll get to in a minute, but first I have to tell you all this other stuff because the Les Mis connection is actually the least ridiculous part. I've forgotten most of the details, and I'm not going to make any apologies for how stupid the ones I remember are. Tristessa was some kind of immortal warrior or something, locked in a centuries-old struggle with vampires or something shitty like that. I didn't really have that part figured out, because thinking about it for too long distracted me from thinking about 'tessa, and how she was so tough and gorgeous and skilled with the katana.

Oh, also she had the power to turn people immortal like herself by means of magical incantations and oral sex. I'd like to stop here and note that I had been reading my mom's copy of Plains of Passage on the sly, and so I thought that all adult books were like 75% blowjobs and getting turned on watching mammoths mate.

Anyway, Tristessa was bopping around the modern era, and she turned these two foppish rockstars into immortals. This is only relevant because one of the rockstars was named Peregrine, which is the worst name ever and actually makes Tristessa sound classy and restrained. Now Tristessa had these two gorgeous goth boys who submitted to her every whim and also just happened to love threesomes, but still she was SO UNAHAPPY.

Why was Tristessa unhappy?

She was unhappy about her ex-boyfriend, of course!

Who was her ex-boyfriend?

It was Enjolras, duh!

When I say Enjolras, understand that I mean Enjolras. Not, like, some character who was based on Enjolras and I changed his name and some relevant details to cleverly disguise him. No, I was pretty adamant about this, it was actually Enjolras, only he looked a lot less like he was described in the book and a lot more like that guy who plays him on that PBS anniversary concert for some weird reason. Gosh, who even knows why, right?

Anyway, Enjolras had died, but not from the revolution because obviously Tristessa saved him from that horrible fate. But then some vampires swooped in and killed him before she could do the blowjob trick, only he wasn't dead he was vampirized and so they were MORTAL ENEMIES.

So, I probably wrote about 20,000 words of this mess, but very little survives to this day. Here are some of the totally rad highlights from the file I found on my backup drive, though:

It starts with this weird note. I'm not sure who it's supposed to be addressing. Me? A friend I was going to show the story too? FBI guys spying on my files? I have no idea. My favorite parts are the incorrect date, the relative amount of words spent on physical appearance, and the fact that I was a babbling moron who had no idea what was going on in my own narrative.

Note: This is not the beginning of the story; it will be told somewhere in the middle of the narrative. To bring you up to speed, the main character is Tristessa Kayne. She is an immortal being who was once human, but her duty for the last 4000 years (since about 2000 BC) has been to protect the earth from...something ominous. (I have not gotten all the details worked out yet, but I do not think it’s going to be that important in this part of the story.) Tristessa appears as a tall, slender young woman of about sixteen or seventeen with long black hair and bright green eyes. This section of the story opens in 1836 on a road outside Paris, France. PS - This is not as cheesy and comic book-ish as the summary makes it sound.

The story continues to suck:

Tristessa limped grimly up the main road, focusing every spare thought on the spires just forming on the horizon. The spires were Paris, and Paris was her city. She had been away for a long time (more than forty years, since she had fled the Revolution), but she did not doubt that the city, the great monstrosity of stone, would welcome her back. They were to much alike, Paris and herself, old, proud, unconquerable, and strong. They were survivors.

Despite her triumphant return, Tristessa felt absolutely wretched. She had lived the life of a Duchess for far too long, and gradually she had let herself become soft. Her head pounded from the hot sun, and her muscles ached with the effort of travel. Her boots were full of blood; they were two or three sizes too big for her and rubbed the flesh from her feet with every step. A twisted ankle caused her to heavily favor her left leg, and this, coupled with her shabby, ill-fitting clothes and disheveled hair painted her as a rather pitiful picture. However, there was nothing pitiful about the way she carried herself, nor about the stoic determination upon her face.

And suck:

Well, he couldn’t function now at any rate, Tristessa thought, and a thin eel of a smile crossed her lips. She swallowed it quickly, almost guiltily, and her face resumed its expressionless stance.

So, here she was, a fugitive in England for castrating a nobleman with his own dagger. She could distance herself enough from that fact to find it rather amusing, but not enough to shrug off the cloud of frustration and anger that lay over her. There were bounty hunters on her trail, probably not far behind, but she worried about them only a little. She would certainly be in Paris before they caught up to her, and inside those city walls she would be safe.

And pretty much suck some more:

It was a smell Tristessa knew much better than she would have liked to: the unmistakable stench of despair. It didn’t surprise her, it was an odor that had hung in the air above Paris for almost as long as she could remember; it was always there, sometimes less intense, but always there. She remembered how surprised she had been during her first visit to Paris that people could live with such an oppressive atmosphere all around them. Soon, however, she learned the only two ways to deal with the stench of the city; one could either ignore it, or be driven mad by it. Some might say that one could also try to stop it, but Tristessa knew better than that; it was just too huge, too massive, too ingrained in everyone's being to be stopped by men alone. Not even the Revolution had stopped it, although there were those who claimed it had. No, the Revolution had merely masked the smell of poverty with the smell of death.

Tristessa chose to ignore it, whatever that might entail, for, in her opinion, it was far better to ignore it than to become a part of it.

Sadly, I no longer have her first meeting with Enjolras, where they (predictably) yell at each other, and he (shocker) stares at her yum-yums, and 'tessa (surprise) thinks he's a fool for being so willing to fight and die. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Oh, also, I kept trying to shoehorn her into The Dark Tower books, but that's probably a tale for another time.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 am

Yay Marianne, you just gave me the perfect remedy for my post-thesis headache!

Here is a character who came to mind: your typical, radical blue stocking with a twist. There are hints here of a crossover with the universe of another novel "The Subversive" (El Filibusterismo), a Filipino novel written by Jose Rizal years after Hugo published Les Mis. "The Subversive" also features a group of students who are remarkably a lot like the Amis...

Name: Maria Juliana Leonor Torres y’Lorenzana

Nickname: Leonor

Background: Mestiza from Angeles, Pampanga (the author has roots here). An aunt of hers took her to Paris all the way from the Philippines after her parents died as a result of a bloody political rivalry in Angeles. This happened when she was about thirteen. However her aunt died some three years later, forcing her to find work (this was about 1826). Luckily her distant cousin Bahorel was also in Paris, and he helped her out a little bit in terms of finding a situation, which at that time involved being a paid companion to an old Republican who kept an extensive library in his home. This was how Leonor completed her education somehow. By 1829 after her employer’s death, she was able to find another job, which was basically book stitching.

Appearance: A dark beauty: fair skinned (darker than most Frenchwomen, but fair for a Filipina), hazel eyes, brunette hair, slender, slightly Castillan nose, pouty lips.

Related to: Bahorel. She’s sort of his cousin several times removed.

Talents: Singing---she can do it in French, Spanish, Filipino, English…Also a handy seamstress and nurse. She is also a wicked translator (very useful, and she tutors Marius in English at some point). She can also play the piano (most young ladies in Manila society could at this point), but her especial interest is the violin (this endears her to Jehan, Enjolras, and Combeferre---Ami orchestra anyone?). And she can cook, dance, and make some sketches. Later after the July Revolution, she proves to be a crack shot and a decent single sticks player who can hold her own against Grantaire.

Works in: A bookshop near the Musain.

Personality: Definitely argumentative, insightful, and dependable. She’s also quite accommodating and patient, which makes her the Amis’ “go-to” girl, whether it involves sobering up, getting Bahorel’s bruises tended, or sneaking around controversial letters to other revolutionary groups. She’s a blue-stocking of sorts who is not afraid to discuss the law with Enjolras and Courfeyrac, or anatomy with Combeferre and Joly. What flaws she has are generally connected to her clumsiness. She's a "kick-ass" girl who carries a dagger with her for a variety of reasons. She's a tough girl who's survived being a victim of street crimes. She also cross dresses (she's better than Éponine on this count), for reasons other than practicality. These things allow her to save some of the boys from running afoul in 1830 (yes, she saves Enjolras' life at some point).

Romance Factor: Let’s just say that even Javert finds her exotic looks quite interesting. She looks stunning enough that Patron-Minette thinks twice about robbing her (in Babet’s words: “It wouldn’t do to have such a beautiful lady distressed!”). Claquesous obsesses over her at one point. As for the Amis, she does catch their attention well enough. Eventually she becomes part of a love triangle involving Courfeyrac and Jehan. The ramifications of this nearly wreck matters before the uprising of 1832. However, Leonor insists on giving up this romance for the men to be able to better focus on their goals (and for her to be in a better position to help them out).

Eventual Fate: After the July Revolution, Leonor, with the help of Musichetta and some other grisettes, becomes the head of an unofficial ladies’ auxiliary of Les Amis del’ABC. She was captured immediately following the uprising of 1832, but escaped execution since she was pregnant with Jehan’s child. Instead, she was put in solitary in Saint-Lazare, where she somehow acquired the resources to pen a last treatise on the role of the education in a revolution. Leonor died of puerperal fever in January 1833, after giving birth to her daughter, who was named Marie Juana Patria. Musichetta managed to rescue the child and Leonor’s manuscript. Marie Juana Patria was raised in the Pontmercys’ household till she reached her majority. As for Leonor’s written work, it was copied and secretly circulated, till it eventually made its way out of Paris after 1848, and to Spain, from where it would eventually make its way to the Philippines, and in the hands of certain student liberals some 30 to 40 years later.

Mary Sue scores:
On the LMFFI test: 33.5
On the universal Mary sue test: 189

More stories to come later...
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Any woman who can talk to Enjolras like this already has the superpower of being able to retain coherence when subjected to his gaze :lol:

An Inconvenient Query

Winter 1832

“Enjolras, this is a surprise,” Leonor greeted amiably from behind the counter of the bookshop. “Is there anything you need? I can get it for you even at the lunch hour.” she asked, gesturing to the shelves.

The blonde lawyer nodded stiffly as he walked up. “I need to speak with you, Leonor.”

“About?” she asked, shifting her dark braid from shoulder to shoulder.

“I’ve heard that Courfeyrac and Jehan have had a row,” Enjolras replied in a level tone. “According to the others, they hardly acknowledge each other even on the street.”

At these words, Leonor felt her throat thicken and she found herself unable to look at Enjolras, who was leaning his elbows on the counter as he waited for her reply. “It’s all my doing and I didn’t really mean it! I’m so, so sorry!” she choked out.

The young man sighed knowingly. “I take that you will wish to spare me the particulars?”

“No, no. The matter is public enough, and it may have upset other things you had planned ahead,” Leonor managed to say. Briefly, she related the events leading up to the confrontation in Corinth. “I didn’t quite think that Courfeyrac truly meant all of his attentions, nor did I count on Prouvaire feeling so deeply for me!” she concluded, almost in tears. At least to her relief, Enjolras was not glaring at her, but rather looking pensive as he apparently considered the situation.

“That is an inconvenience,” Enjolras said after some time. He touched his fingers to his forehead as if in deep thought before looking at her with a firm calmness in his eyes. “But not so inconvenient that it cannot be remedied…”

“What do you intend to do?” Leonor asked.

“Nothing. But if you can do something, then exercise your liberty.”

“I am at a loss.”

“Owing to the agony of your indecision?” Enjolras said pointedly. “I would rather that it had not come to this, but it cannot be undone. You will have to make your decision, if only to allow the worst of the consequences to pass before more urgent matters arise.”

Leonor took a deep breath and shut her eyes for a moment. “I hope Courfeyrac will forgive me and Prouvaire,” she said at last.

A slightly apprehensive smile crossed Enjolras’ face. “He will, in time.”

“You seem amused by this,” Leonor said suspiciously. “Have you made a bet of some sort?”

“I do not make bets, but that does not mean I am unaware of them,” Enjolras said mildly, though the disapproval was evident in his tone. “Some friends of ours will be losing several francs tonight.”

“Oh dear.”
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Love this challenge! I don't have any Suzettes at the moment, but give me time--i've always had a weakness for Eppie-Sues, they're always fun. I think everyone has at least one fantasy where Éponine gets Marius and saves the barricade and Enjolras falls in love with her, but she nicely tells him it can never be and she goes to England or somehting and has lots of adorable wisecracking Gavroche-rip-off kids.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 pm

I haven't got one, but now I feel that is an inadequacy, given the fun ones above!

Mine would be one of the Fashion!Sues - you know, lovingly detailed descriptions of what she's wearing, from her hairstyle to her fantastic knee high laceup boots. And a sash, of course. A whole steam-punky vibe thing going on. Naturally, all the action would come to a halt as I went into the minutae of her shirt style and the colour of her loosely knotted cravat (which would compliment her sea-green, sea-grey eyes)...but of course, she is still utterly feminine and lithe. Her hair never gets greasy or tangled, even when she can't attend to her coiffure because they're fighting.

And she's enthusiastically shagging Courfeyrac on the side, of course :twisted:
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Ha, have Marguerite the gorgeous and breath-akingly brilliant novelist who single-handedly causes a socital revolution and the reform of the church through her brilliant social satires. She either wears trousers all the time, or tailcoats with 18th century style modified men's fashions. Her brilliant wit makes her welcome in any salon- and at one of them she met the de Courfeyrac boy with whom she has a passionate but probably not really monogamous affair. She lives with Marianne the Steampunk Inventor of the Computer and have the sort of Romantic frienship that can be very easily misinterpreted and makes them very popular with Courfeyrac's set.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:24 pm

That makes *three* of our Sues going for Courfeyrac at any given time. Lucky boy! :lol:

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Here, have my offering ... if I wrote one, she would be young and full of genius and energy, an English sailor -- a privateer, perhaps, with a convoluted backstory involving various acts of daring and near-piracy, to explain her being in charge of a ship -- who for some reason is spending a short span of time in Paris. She has somehow remained quite pure and beautiful despite the hardships she has endured at sea, and her eyes are a marvelous shade of blue-green. She is intellectual and well-read enough to converse freely with Les Amis. Joly adores her, though, he having a mistress already, they are but friends. She and Jehan have a tragically brief affair during her short stay in France. He writes her beautiful poems and she regales him with tales of the sea, giving him a piece of pirate gold to remember her by. He carries it with him to the barricades for luck.

A lot of good it does him, too ...

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:22 am

*surreptitiously revives a dead thread, just to see if anyone else has anything to contribute to it*
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 am

...I can write a horrible, shameless, self-insert Patria-Sue/Enjolras oneshot in a fit of Codeine-influenced delirium if you all would like. Or if you wouldn't, I'll probably end up doing it either way.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:55 am

OH BOY PAIN MEDS!FIC.

I am all for it.

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:43 pm

ALRIGHT THEN I WILL.

Actually I did some ~thinking~ about this last night and I don't think it's going to be a self insert or a oneshot. Horrible and shameless, though, totally. Her eyes change color and everything. *nods*
But it will be CHAPTERED, mwahahaha.

i'menjoyingthiswaytoomuch

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 am

We are eagerly awaiting the...whatever it is, Hazellwood. Nothing better than a good dose of utter shameless indulgence!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

PureDiamondLight

Postby PureDiamondLight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 pm

This is hilarious. I love this thread. I will have to see if I can come up with any of my own. Colour changing eyes, eh? Hmm...

And may I add that from what I've seen so far (and I've spent all morning reading through parts of the site) this site is AWESOME. MdN has seemed a little... serious... in the past couple of months. But - from what I've read - Abaisse is marvellously light-hearted and fun. I love it!!

:D :D :D

Return to “Fan Fiction”