Drabbles, various characters, mostly PG, 6/?

Share your stories with us!
Abelarda

Drabbles, various characters, mostly PG, 6/?

Postby Abelarda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm

I wanted to create a topic for my drabbles a long time ago, but somehow I always forgot to do it. Anyway, it's here, better late than never. :-) Some of the drabbles were inspired by Despard's pictures and were published at Abaissé; some of them were posted only at my LiveJournal. I wrote more of them in the past few weeks and I'm going to post them here as well. But first, the older ones. Each drabble in a different post (creating one topic for each drabble would be pointless); I hope it's not forbidden, but I'm trying to avoid any mess.

Combeferre/Jehan, written for Despard, inspired by this picture. Translation by me, with some help from Elwen.

Hamelin

This fairytale haunts Combeferre since his arrival to Paris. He shouldn't be surprised; there are too many rats and miserable children. And maybe that's why his vision of a piper in a colourful coat becomes so important: it can drive the pallid reality away.

When he meets Jehan, his rat-catcher from Hamelin is changing: he now has gentle brown eyes and long hair. Instead of a colourful coat, he wears an unfashionable frock. And whatever he's doing, he never demands any payment.

He's not a virtuoso, but it doesn't matter. When he starts playing, Combeferre knows he'll follow him anyway.
Last edited by Abelarda on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tell me, I've still a lot to learn,
Understand, these fires never stop,
Believe me, when this joke is tired of laughing,
I will hear the promise of my Orpheus sing...
(David Sylvian)

Abelarda

Re: Drabbles (various characters, mostly PG, 3/?)

Postby Abelarda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm

One-sided Enjolras/Grantaire, written for Despard, inspired by this picture. Translation by me, with some help from Elwen.

The Thin Ice

If Grantaire decided to paint again, he'd know what to portray with the colour of Enjolras's eyes. Not the wintry, greyish Parisian sky; the clear azure reminds him more of his childhood over the banks of the Rodan, blue in summer, lucid and too fragile in winter. Maybe he could retrace each crack in the ice, repaint the livid lips of a young boy, saved by miracle.

Remembering that chill, he instinctively rubs his hands and shivers. But when he looks into Enjolras's eyes, he's not afraid anymore.

This ice is much harder and surely won't break under his weight.
Last edited by Abelarda on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(David Sylvian)

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Drabbles (various characters, mostly PG, 3/?)

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:44 pm

How like Grantaire to choose ice as a metaphor. I love the last line...it seems to sum up the Enjolras-Grantaire dynamics perfectly. :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Abelarda

Re: Drabbles, various characters, mostly PG, 2/?

Postby Abelarda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for the comment, Aurelia! I'm glad you like it. :-)

One-sided Enjolras/Grantaire, written for Despard, inspired by this picture. Translation by me, with some help from Elwen.

The Challenge

Being equal with Enjolras seems suprisingly strange, but Grantaire knows how to use an opportunity. During the fight all the differences somehow disappear; there are only twin blades, cutting through the air with similar grace.

The chances are even, no matter if the foil slips from one's palm and hits the floor. They both bend down instinctively. Enjolras is faster: he passes the weapon to his opponent, smiling slightly. A simple courtesy, thinks Grantaire. But when their hands meet, Enjolras's touch burns his fingers and suddenly there is no possibility to win.

Grantaire would gladly die just to repeat it.
(David Sylvian)

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Drabbles, various characters, mostly PG, 3/?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:02 am

Wow! I always wanted to know what was the story behind the picture "Foils"--and it seems as if you've got it down pat. I really like the Winecask in this one. :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:43 am

I squeed over these before, but I just wanted to say again that I think the style comes across beautifully - I know translation can be hard. My favourite is still the creepy Pied Piper one :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:24 am

You know how incoherently I babble happily about your fics, Abelarda :) It still boggles my mind that I could have any influence in inspiring things as awesome as this...I'll have to do more pics if this is what results from them! I don't think I could select a favourite, but perhaps the "ice" imagery just slightly, slightly has the edge. But then I think of hooded-eyed Prouvaire and the interesting, slightly dark tone in that one...and then the lovely "foils" interplay...and I can't decide...
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Abelarda

Postby Abelarda » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks again, Aurelia! I have to admit I like writing Grantaire; he's one of my favourite characters.

Thank you, MmeBahorel! Frankly speaking, I'm still not sure of my English skills; I'm glad you like the style od the drabbles.

Anything that would make you draw more is worthy of any effort, Despard! And your beautiful pictures are my constant source of inspiration. Perhaps I should revisit your DeviantArt gallery and try to do some illustrations for your older drawings... :-)

And here's another one, a sort of a counterpart to "The Challenge". Feuilly and Enjolras, written for Elwen. Translation by me, with some help from Elwen.

Fraternity

When Enjolras reaches his hand out for the first time, Feuilly pretends he doesn't notice. He seriously doubts if they would ever understand each other. Enjolras's clothes seem too elegant, palms too clean; and the word "fraternity" is nothing but a mere sound.

Yet at the barricade Feuilly gets the feeling that he has never really known him. Enjolras seems completely changed with toussled hair, torn shirt and palms black with gunpowder. Only his calm gaze remains the same.

"Fraternity," says Enjolras in a tired voice. Feuilly shakes his dirty hand with no hesitation. This time he knows it's true.
Last edited by Abelarda on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(David Sylvian)

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Drabbles, various characters, mostly PG, 4/?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 am

Ahhh, just what I needed after a terrible biochemistry exam!

I like the contrasts that form in Feuilly's mind. How apt. I am not sure if I am smiling because I like the way Feuilly is thinking, or because of the image of Enjolras at the barricade. Thanks for writing this!

Elwen Rhiannon

Postby Elwen Rhiannon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm

If I were to choose, "The Thin Ice" would be probably my favourite (the last line, the line!) but the choice would be hard. I do know how hard to write the drabbles are, how carefully you choose every word knowing that you cannot epically fly as in novel length stories. I admire both your use of symbolism and the precisness of your metaphors, as well as your points: sharp, as they should be. Please, write (and translate) more, please...
"Believe in the future. Combeferre does."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 am

Oh, I like! The difference between the word and the meaning, the image and the act. And Feuilly. I love Feuilly. Very nicely put together.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Abelarda

Postby Abelarda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks, Aurelia! I'm glad that I could improve your mood. :-)

There'll be more of them, Elwen, I promise! I still remember about some of our older ideas, I just have to find a way how to write them.

Thank you, MmeBahorel! I am tempted to write a longer (well, longer than a drabble) fic about Feuilly and the Polish Great Emigration; I'm currently doing some research in the matter.

Another one. AU, post-barricade, Enjolras/Grantaire, written for Elwen. Translation by me, with some help from Elwen.

23:55

Enjolras seems to restrain even while sleeping; he becomes himself only on the border of reality. He needs five minutes to get fully awake. During those five minutes Grantaire sees him the way he really is: instead of a stern, sad face he watches a boyish flush and a crumpled nightshirt. Sometimes, when he dares to touch his hair, he gets a sleepy smile in return.

Grantaire pretends the moment can last forever, but his illusion quickly disappears, leaving another twenty-three hours, fifty-five minutes of waiting.

Yet for the five minutes Enjolras belongs to him and that's what really counts.
(David Sylvian)

MmeBahorel

Re: Drabbles, various characters, mostly PG, 5/?

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:58 pm

*squee!* This is so sweet and so sad but also so hopeful - that Grantaire is given these five minutes because he is really given more, even if Enjolras doesn't realise what he is permitting in those five minutes.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Oh, I love both of these! Feuilly and Enjolras dynamics are always so interesting - we're given more there than with most of Amis outside Courfeyrac and Combeferre, and what we're given is so suggestive from the initial "Feuilly, is it?" through to the reliance on Feuilly at the barricades when Enjolras is not only according him symbolic respect but also the practical regard of delegating so much of the combat leadership to him. The interplay here is just gorgeous, and particularly apt for what combat and a common cause can do.

And the second one...so lovely! There's a tone to this interaction that is quite unique in Grantaire/Enjolras stories - beautiful. I'd like to draw either scene.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:13 am

Ahhh, wistful and yet content Grantaire. And surprise, little angst! I think we might have seen this before, but not as well done. :D

Return to “Fan Fiction”