Advice, Please?

Share your stories with us!
Acaila

Re: Advice, Please?

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 am

The thing is, their cause is so much of the characters of Les Amis, that if you take that away, and you take the setting away, what are you actually left with?

(not specifically aiming this at your fic Una, I think it's possible for a bunch of committed revolutionaries to go on a camping trip. Politicos often enjoy their down time.
Heck, my most enduring memory of a hardcore activist I know is the time he got high and set off homemade fireworks in the park outside my flat :roll: I don't think the capitalist system was smashed too much that day, but eh...)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

unamariah

Postby unamariah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:39 am

Well, it mentions in the Brick that Enjolras doesn't (paraphase) notice spring or things like that, and Jehan LOVES that, so it's a good contrast. :) Jehan wants to go on a camping trip, Enjolras doesn't, and Grantaire is drunk. XD

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

CeridwenLynne wrote:I think it would be refreshing to read a fanfic where the Amis didn't fight for some sort of cause--- just let them be college students having fun and working on getting their degrees and such. I like your idea about a camping trip. :D

Arguably, it might be refreshing, but this is where I have a problem with modern AUs and on occasion, with AUs in general. These are very politically-driven characters from a very specific time period, living under very specific circumstance. If they aren't fighting for some sort of cause, what are they? Just a group of guys that are mere shadows of what they actually are. To take away from Enjolras the fact that he's "an officiating priest and a man of war; from the immediate point of view, a soldier of the democracy; above the contemporary movement, the priest of the ideal" by not giving him reason to be is neutering to his character.

I like Les Amis because I like that they're political, and arguably most people feel the same or they wouldn't be fans of them. I like that Enjolras "chastely drops his eyes before everything that's not the Republic." I like that Combeferre "desired to pour into all minds the extensive principles of general ideas" and that Jean Prouvaire "buried himself in social questions, salary, capital, credit, marriage, religion, liberty of thought, education, penal servitude, poverty, association, property, production and sharing." They can do these things and have a cause and still go camping, as Acaila says, but to make them just "college students having fun" takes away their entire point of existence.

Write about Enjolras and Combeferre and Joly and Bossuet if you want to write about politically active students, whether in the canon era or a modern one. Write about the characters from Saved By the Bell: The College Years if all you want is college students having fun.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

unamariah

Postby unamariah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:19 am

deHavilland wrote:
CeridwenLynne wrote:I think it would be refreshing to read a fanfic where the Amis didn't fight for some sort of cause--- just let them be college students having fun and working on getting their degrees and such. I like your idea about a camping trip. :D

Arguably, it might be refreshing, but this is where I have a problem with modern AUs and on occasion, with AUs in general. These are very politically-driven characters from a very specific time period, living under very specific circumstance. If they aren't fighting for some sort of cause, what are they? Just a group of guys that are mere shadows of what they actually are. To take away from Enjolras the fact that he's "an officiating priest and a man of war; from the immediate point of view, a soldier of the democracy; above the contemporary movement, the priest of the ideal" by not giving him reason to be is neutering to his character.

I like Les Amis because I like that they're political, and arguably most people feel the same or they wouldn't be fans of them. I like that Enjolras "chastely drops his eyes before everything that's not the Republic." I like that Combeferre "desired to pour into all minds the extensive principles of general ideas" and that Jean Prouvaire "buried himself in social questions, salary, capital, credit, marriage, religion, liberty of thought, education, penal servitude, poverty, association, property, production and sharing." They can do these things and have a cause and still go camping, as Acaila says, but to make them just "college students having fun" takes away their entire point of existence.

Write about Enjolras and Combeferre and Joly and Bossuet if you want to write about politically active students, whether in the canon era or a modern one. Write about the characters from Saved By the Bell: The College Years if all you want is college students having fun.

*applauds* Great point, and I'll keep that in mind! Question: what are the best fics you guys have read that you think kept the characters in character?

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Oh this is such a great thread! I'm definitely seconding everything said above, even though I am guilty as charged when it comes to succumbing to a few popular fanons, but I definitely do not recommend following my example!
I completely agree to not sparing Les Amis of their politics and fighting but you can always focus on different aspects of their lives. Don't forget that they did have lives. Everyone apart from Enjolras did have mistresses in canon, they had fun and went to fairs but put their beliefs above all. You can always realistically balance it :)
Read metas about every single different character. God knows that the Abaisse metas were of massive help when I was in trouble first with my Grantaire and then with my Éponine, not to mention how helpful it is to read metas on relationships, eg. Éponine and Montparnasse's through the Brick. I always adore how the little yet important aspects in everyone's character are adapated and portrayed in some of the Modern AUs, and I always find myself beaming widely when I notice something and say yes, they did it correctly! Never stop reading and researching, every day one fan will come up with a new realization and new conversation will be risen :wink: Don't be affected by other fanfictions, read and get inspired but try to explore your own writing style!
Also don't forget that Les Amis in a Modern AU will live in a completely different time and society, therefore you might want to question yourself about all the things they'd keep, alter or do differently nowadays.
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Return to “Fan Fiction”