Gavroche/He saw him, but he didn't bother to notice.

Share your stories with us!
Lau

Gavroche/He saw him, but he didn't bother to notice.

Postby Lau » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Uh... Okay, I know I'm going to regret this. Badly.
You see, I love writing; but whenever I try to write something about Les Misérables (especially when it's Brick!verse), I feel like it's not a great idea at all. There's something about that that scares the hell out of me: whether it be my lack of knowledge of the characters or my habitual fear of doing a mess, amplified by the fact that this mess would be about such a great novel, I just can't. Not even in my language.
Nevertheless, I decided to try, once: I came up with a series which featured awfully OOC!Éponine, a pathetic attempt to expand Les Amis' deaths and this one-shot about Gavroche. They can be found on an Italian fanfic website, but that's not important.
Since I'm too much of a chicken to actually imagine a story with the characters of Les Mis, they were just sort-of-considerations by the character. But even that way, I thought I couldn't go that far. Anyway, I'm also a masochist, so here's the translated Gavroche one: it's short, not that insightful (I feared I would distort the character) and I'm afraid it doesn't add anything to what said in the Brick. It's set after he's rescued Thénardier who had escaped from La Force: take it as a translation exercise I did :lol: I don't know if you can use past perfect so much in English, in Italian you should because Gavroche is recalling what has happened before. If it's wrong, I apologise; and I'll do it anyway, because of this rambling :oops:

Gavroche was coming back from Rue du Roi-de-Sicile, with the steady step of somebody who had really got plenty of time. If there had been any passers-by, they certainly would have called him crazy: the rain merrily came down, and the boy was already soaked, as every item of clothing he wore, each and every one way too big for him, from the rolled trousers to the womanly shirt.
But no passers-by were to be seen, not at four o’ clock in the morning, not during a day like that. The pavements of Paris were his home, the French sky the roof over his head, that was right; but not even Gavroche would have been spontaneously around that late at night with such weather.
However, they had called him, and he had answered. Montparnasse had come, looking for him, because they needed him: a man stuck on a wall not far from la Force was to be gotten out of trouble. It’s the same, old story: grown-ups would mistreat children, but they would always end up calling them when they were in a fix. Gavroche hadn’t asked more, it was the same to him. He’d walked with the young criminal to rue du Roi-de-Sicile: there were the ruins of a house-but he wondered if he could even call them ruins: essentially, the only thing that still stood was a wall, the wall where the man in question lied. Once they had arrived, Gavroche had come across the whole Patron-Minette gang, but that hadn’t upset him at all, actually. As he had been asked, he had climbed the pipeline, tied the rope to the sash bar, and saved the man…
Thénardier, his father.
His father; he hadn’t seen him in a while, just like his mother, like Éponine, like Azelma. He hadn’t seen him in a while, but he had recognized him; he had jut out to get to observe his savior. He probably hadn’t observed him that well, though; at least, not well enough to understand who he was. In his eyes, Gavroche hadn’t been able to catch anything: not love, that was for sure, but neither disdain, nor gratitude. Just nothing: he had felt invisible.
To think that Gavroche also waited. He’d listened to them while they were discussing about some affair in Rue Plumet, a worthless heist, if Éponine was to be believed. He had kept watching them without being neither shooed nor addressed by anybody: after a good minute, he had given up.
Thénardier didn’t look back a second time: he had seen him, but he hadn’t bothered to notice him; he hadn’t understood.
“Never mind”, Gavroche thought to himself for the umpteenth time, jumping over a puddle. His father hadn’t recognized him. It wasn’t that strange after all: he would have been amazed if things had turned out in a different way. But they hadn’t: he could save the amazement for another occasion.
He stopped in the middle of the street, in the rain, letting the drops slide on him, on his clothes: he was so wet that he didn’t care anymore. After having contemplated a barred window for a few seconds, he shook himself out of that state. He reminded the Elephant of the Bastille, in which the two kids he had received the previous day were sleeping: that vision awoke the gamin's sense of responsability.
-I’d better go back to my nippers-, he considered out loud, utterly serious.
He sped up the pace, and in a handful of seconds he was gone, swallowed by the Parisian dawn.
Ici Bahorel reconnut à une fenêtre un jeune homme pâle à barbe noire qui les regardait passer, probablement un Ami de l’A B C. Il lui cria :
— Vite, des cartouches, para bellum.
— Bel homme! c’est vrai, dit Gavroche, qui maintenant comprenait le latin.

Gervais

Re: Gavroche/He saw him, but he didn't bother to notice.

Postby Gervais » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Please don't regret this fic, because it's great content-wise, comes out well (I would say translated well, but I don't know enough Italian to be able to judge from the original. But it reads perfectly fine. :D), and is Gavroche fic. He doesn't get written about that much, so it's good to see him actually acting like himself. Thank you for sharing this! :mrgreen:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Lau

Postby Lau » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you very much, Gervais, but you're too nice :oops: And now I feel even worse about the ramble :oops:
By the way, I'm looking forward to the Genderswap fic! :D
Last edited by Lau on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ici Bahorel reconnut à une fenêtre un jeune homme pâle à barbe noire qui les regardait passer, probablement un Ami de l’A B C. Il lui cria :

Lau

Postby Lau » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Thank you very much, Gervais, but you're too nice :oops: And now I feel even worse about the ramble :oops:
By the way, I'm looking forward to the Genderswap fic! :D

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Trust me; if I had seen anything that wasn't your everyday typo, I would've let you know. Which doesn't mean that there weren't mistakes; it's possible I just missed them. But I'm not lying it you, I promise. :wink: Don't feel bad about the ramble; it's good to know. And I'm glad that you are! :D

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 pm

I like this! It really does sound like his thought process. And it left me hoping for more. :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Lau

Postby Lau » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm glad you liked it, Aurelia! But I honestly don't know when (and if) I'll upload something else, since writing Les Mis fanfiction looks like a gruelling process for me (as I guess the ramble shows :oops: )
I've read the first chapters of "When Apollo met Persephone", and I think it's great! :D I usually don't like Enjolras/Éponine, but really, as they were saying earlier on the Café, you manage to make them believable, hands down. :) I'll go on with it tomorrow, though, because it's late and I've really got to sleep... *yawns*

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:17 pm

LM fanfic is worth the intellectual challenge!

And thanks about the fic! That's a serious stretch for me too to work on it.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Why would you worry about your writing? This was amazing! :D Though I can relate with your fear about Brick!verse :(
I love your descriptions, you help me see the scenes so clearly! You make him as adorable and lively as he is! I really liked that and you should write more!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Lau

Postby Lau » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you so much, Liv! :oops:
IBelieveInYou wrote:I love your descriptions, you help me see the scenes so clearly!

That's, like, the best compliment ever, for me, since I have never been exactly fond of writing descriptions, but lately I've been trying to do that more... So thank you again!
Why would you be afraid of writing Brick!verse? I've read your Barricade Day fanfic, and I'll use this occasion to tell you, just like the others did, that it was amazing! :D And also very sad, as it should be :( Talking about hubris was a wonderful idea, you were very faithful to the book, and I love your descriptions! :wink:

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! Apparently I haven't managed to write anything decent since then so I guess I work better with prompts.
No really, your descriptions were very vivid and I agree with you, I am very fond of reading good descriptions :D So thank you for this adorable Gavroche piece!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Return to “Fan Fiction”