Unititled Combeferre Sickfic (feat. Hammy's pocket!jolras)

Share your stories with us!
MamzelleCombeferre

Unititled Combeferre Sickfic (feat. Hammy's pocket!jolras)

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 am

A/N: This was inspired by Hammy's pocket!jolras (which you can find on her tumblr, hamstr.tumblr.com), specifically this picture (http://old-pristine-blood-rose.tumblr.com/image/52830076570). It was quickly written, but I'm kind of fond of it, so I thought I'd share it here as well as tumblr. Hope you enjoy it!

“Combeferre?” Enjolras’ head perked up at the sound of coughing from the other room. It was a cool evening, and even Enjolras in all his dedication to his friends took an extra second to soak in the warmth of his blanket before emerging to investigate. Climbing down the little rope ladder that Feuilly had made him, he quietly made his way to the next room, dragging his blanket behind himself. Upon reaching the next room the blanket hit an errant pencil, sending it rolling and catching the attention of Combeferre who did not look at all well.

A break in his coughing allowed him to apologize. “I didn’t mean to wake you, I’m sorry.”

“I wasn’t sleeping well anyways.” Which was a lie, but Enjolras did not want to make his friend feel any worse than he already looked. “Are you well?”

“A cold, nothing more.” Combeferre said, though his appearance suggested something more. There was a slight sheen of sweat on his forehead which was starkly pale in comparison to his flushed cheeks.

“Lift me up?” Enjolras asked. Combeferre complied, lifting his friend onto the paper covered sofa. He did not flinch as Enjolras further climbed the back of the sofa to jump onto Combeferre’s shoulder, though he sighed when a cool hand came into contact with his cheek.

“I was trying to distract myself.” Combeferre explained. “These pamphlets needed proofreading. You know I love you like a brother, but your grammar is atrocious.” He started coughing again.

“You’re exhausted, and I think you have a fever, though I can’t be certain.” Enjolras’ face contorted into concern.

Seeing no reason to try and deny it, Combeferre said, “It’s likely I am. Ferrier got sent home from hospital rounds on Thursday because he was ill. He was running a temperature if I remember correctly.” He had been the one to check his classmate over as the doctors had been busy with the recent influx of patients that always came with the cold weather.

“You should rest.” Enjolras’ concern might have made Combeferre laugh, except his throat was too sore to do so.

“I would, but this cough keeps waking me. You are welcome to return to bed though. No reason we should both be awake at this unholy hour.” Combeferre even cleared a corner of the sofa off as he knew Enjolras would not be comfortable in the other room now.

The knowledge made Enjolras smile, though worry was in his eyes instead of joviality. “Wake me if you need something, and please rest.” Any other time he would stay up with his friend, but one of them needed to be well rested tomorrow in order to take care of the other.

Sleep enveloped him again rather quickly, though the morning came even quicker. Combeferre was still sleeping when Enjolras woke. Not for the first time, Enjolras wished he was taller. Getting down from the sofa would be hard enough, so making a fresh pot of coffee was near impossible. After nearly half an hour of deliberation, Enjolras decided to make the jump from sofa to floor, climbing down the sides being impossible. The resulting thump was enough to wake Combeferre, who started coughing before he could even speak.

“Get back in bed.” Enjolras said. Combeferre stood, shakily but easily enough, and tucked himself under the covers of his bed once more. Enjolras may be small and Combeferre unwell, but there was no doubting that the statement had been an order. “Where do you keep your thermometer?”

“My black bag.” The one near the door. Enjolras was there and back quicker than one would expect. Using the second ladder to climb up the side of the bed, he handed the thermometer over. “I think you know what to do with this.”

Placing it under his tongue, Combeferre leaned back once more, closing his eyes. For a moment Enjolras thought Combeferre had fallen asleep once more, but then he stirred after a few minutes to pull the thermometer out and check it. “It’s a low fever, barely over 100. I’ll live yet.” He jested, though Enjolras still looked worried. “Don’t worry. I’ll be fine in a day or two.”

“You must stay in bed.” Enjolras said adamantly.

Combeferre laughed. “Coming from you that doesn’t mean much.” It was clear he was still jesting though.

Enjolras smiled now. “Sleep well my friend.”

Combeferre smiled, and he did.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Sarahbob

Re: Unititled Combeferre Sickfic (feat. Hammy's pocket!jolra

Postby Sarahbob » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:08 am

I love pocket!jolras and this story is just adorable! :)

IBelieveInYou

Re: Unititled Combeferre Sickfic (feat. Hammy's pocket!jolra

Postby IBelieveInYou » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 am

Pocket!jolras is adorable and this fic... I laughed at Enjolras and his grammar and I adore this friendship fic! So sweet!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Return to “Fan Fiction”