Barricade Day Challenge - Wrong and Right; Combeferre; K

Share your stories with us!
TheRandomPhangirl

Barricade Day Challenge - Wrong and Right; Combeferre; K

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:58 am

Fine time for me to get writer's block, eh?

The clock was still ticking, the dull clicks fading into white noise inside Combeferre's head. It was the middle of a heated summer night, and Jean Prouvaire was lying ill before him. The doctor had been coming and going, the medicines administered, and now the nearly recovering Prouvaire was sleeping fitfully. Combeferre had volunteered to stay with him during the nights. The soft glow on the low candles reflected off the two ornate candlesticks either side of Prouvaire's bed, making the objects sparkle. The muggy temperature coupled with the heat from the candles made the room positively sweltering, making the young man feel slightly uncomfortable. He grimaced, pulling at his collar and trying to get the air around his neck circulating. His gaze then rested on Prouvaire once more, and his features softened.
As a medical student, Combeferre saw ill people most every day, but somehow it seemed more sympathetic to him when it was someone close to him. He pondered for a while whether or not that was a bad thing, feeling more compassion for a close one that a patient. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. He tried to come to a conclusion, but the heat and late hour prevented him from doing so.
Instead, he thought of the concept of right and of wrong. What classified as each? Was there a determined answer or was is simply in the eye of the beholder? Prouvaire could afford a doctor to treat him for his sickness, many in Paris could not. Was that right? Combeferre didn't think so. Perhaps, he thought, things such as medical care should be given freely to the people, and paid for by the people as a whole. It would put good use to the money made from taxes. Was that wrong, to use the people's money for the people? No, he decided, no, somethings should be a right, not a privilege. How the mind wanders when one is tired, for not too long after debating those values, Combeferre nodded off in his chair, and was awakened by Prouvaire the next morning with a cheerful smile and a declaration of wellness.
At least, Combeferre added as an afterthought to his previous meditation, seeing a friend happy will never be wrong.

In my defense I had writer's block and it's about two in the morning now. (Alright, not technically barricade day over in my timezone any more, but oh well.)
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Gervais

Re: Barricade Day Challenge - Wrong and Right; Combeferre; K

Postby Gervais » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:01 am

Aw, Combeferre. :D I just want to hug the guy and tell him not to worry so much.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:58 am

Considering your prompt was Combeferre - candlesticks - wrong, you did very well despite the lateness.

To be honest, all I could think of were some seriously creepy scenarios that I will not share upon reading your prompt. Glad you thought of something less mentally scarring :D
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Yay for Combeferre introspection! :D
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Combeferre being visionary and philantrophic... I love it :-)
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:43 pm

I love Combeferre-Prouvaire friendship and their dynamics are greatly interpretated on this fic! And of course the characterization of our dear medical student was completely on spot and i love it!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:12 am

Aw, Phan, that was nice, and I liked the last sentence especially. :D
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Gervais wrote:Aw, Combeferre. :D I just want to hug the guy and tell him not to worry so much.

Heh, thanks Gervais. My Ferre is slowly turning into a neurotic little worrier. Heh.

WhoIam wrote:Considering your prompt was Combeferre - candlesticks - wrong, you did very well despite the lateness.

To be honest, all I could think of were some seriously creepy scenarios that I will not share upon reading your prompt. Glad you thought of something less mentally scarring :D

I only just got that! :lol: I'm always late. No seriously, I'm terrible at timekeeping. :oops:

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Yay for Combeferre introspection! :D

Oh yes! I like writing things like that, mainly for the sake of probing into characters' minds. Glad you liked it.

SpiritOfDawn wrote:Combeferre being visionary and philantrophic... I love it :-)

Aw thank you Spirit. I think I'm getting better at writing. I hope so anyway. :wink:

IBelieveInYou wrote:I love Combeferre-Prouvaire friendship and their dynamics are greatly interpretated on this fic! And of course the characterization of our dear medical student was completely on spot and i love it!

Daww, thanks Ibby. I worry about IC all the time, so it's nice to know you think I got it right.

YoungStudentMarius wrote:Aw, Phan, that was nice, and I liked the last sentence especially. :D

Thanks Marius, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You know what they say, "Last note of a piece is the one the audience remember"

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:09 am

Short and poignant, this was wonderful Phan. :) Combeferre introspection is one of my favorite things and you didn't disappoint at all! Like some of the others, my mind went to awful places with those three words, so kudos for coming up with something that isn't completely mentally scarring. :wink: Thank you for sharing this!
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Oh sorry Zelle, I'm so bad; I forgot to thank you for the kind words! Short and sweet I guess :) Any longer and it probably would have started going pear-shaped. :oops:

Return to “Fan Fiction”