Beta readers

Share your stories with us!
Marianne

Beta readers

Postby Marianne » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm

So for anyone who doesn't know what a beta reader is, they're basically the fanfiction equivalent of an editor: someone you send your fics off to before you post them to get feedback, corrections, etc. Beta-reading doesn't seem to be terribly widespread in the LM fandom, but I thought if any of us needed a beta we could post here with requests (or offers of service).

I myself am willing to beta for pretty much any type of fic; I'm primarily a mechanics- and facts-checking sort, which means spelling, grammar, French, nitpicky historical details, nitpicky canon details, etc. And I can make suggestions on plot holes, characterization, plausibility, etc. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at weeding out awkward word choice, suggesting alternate phrasings, and other stylistic concerns.

I don't need a beta right this instant, but in the future I might like someone to bounce my stories off before I post them. I probably won't need any grammar help; I'm more worried about word choice and evenness of tone, pace, and mood.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Annelise

Postby Annelise » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:27 am

I currently need someone to look over my fic. It's the very first I've written, and though I looked up some of the fanfiction terms online, I have no clue whether it's crack, AU, etc. I don't think it needs a lot of editing, but I'd appreciate any corrections/feedback before I post it in the forum.
Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: I won't be able to email it or upload it anywhere until Sunday evening or Monday morning unless I can get Internet connection somewhere.
I live in a world of my own thoughts, where my plans and dreams float about…I hope that you will get to know all my good sides better—those you know and those you don’t know yet. Everything in its own time. -Ala Gertner

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:14 am

*hops on bandwagon*

I offer myself as a beta. I'm more of a characterization and writing person- I like history, but my knowledge of it is iffy at times. I'm good at rephrasing things and helping with stylistic things and I'm decent with mechanics, though I'm not as much of a grammar Nazi as I'd like to be.

Just a warning: I won't be able to beta fics until I'm done with my opera workshop so it might be best to wait until after July. ^^

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:11 am

I am aware that Asian History isn't related to LM, but if anyone has questions for referential purposes (or their homework, perhaps?) I am just a PM away. That aside, I'm also good at, as Marianne has put it, weeding out awkward word choice, suggesting alternate phrasings, and other stylistic concerns. Also, while my French is a hailstorm of incorrect grammar and conjugation, my Spanish is fairly alright, so if any of you have problems with Español... ;)
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 am

I can nitpick phrasing and expressions to a certain extent, help with storylines and stuff. For grammar, you had better consult a native speaker because I'm prone to make mistakes. Also, ask Fréddie about the French Revolution. :D

Might one of you do a grammar etc check for me? *puppy dog eyes*

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:07 am

Yay, grammar! Will you permit (me to do) it? :D
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Suuuure. And you can keep my Hébert. :wink:

Pssst, there's an upcoming naughty "sequelette" you'd get to see first if you do the checking...

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 pm

*gives thread Lucy Pevensie's revival potion*

Alright people.

MmeJavert has pointed something out to me, and she's absolutely right.

I need someone to proofread my stories. Preferably someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to punctuation.

Any takers?
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Enjolras For President

Postby Enjolras For President » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:56 pm

I'd love to. I've copy-edited a lot of stuff (mainly for my school's literary magazine) and I tend drive people crazy when I point out tiny punctuation type errors. So, if that's what you need...

Citizen_Aku

Postby Citizen_Aku » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 am

*stretches editor's claws* I'm always available to beta stuff, so long as I have time. I am quite the nitpick when it comes to grammar, spelling, historical and canonical accuracy, and the all that jazz.

As for credentials: my mother, who is the editor of a magazine, has me edit articles when I have nothing better to do. Does that count?
Real men fight by singing in counterpoint.

98% Machiavellian and demmed proud of it!

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 am

That's it exactly! I need someone who can pick up the little nitpicky stuff that I miss.

PM me and we'll talk about it.

EDIT: Thank you both!
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.

-Oscar Wilde

Jaym

Postby Jaym » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm kind of late, but I have this Written Task for English, which is due tomorrow. I have finished it, it's somewhere between 1,5 and 2 A4 papers.

It is not really fanfiction and it's not about Les Mis either (it's about Equus), but if there is someone who can do a quick grammar and punctuation check... *angelface*

mariegrantaire

Postby mariegrantaire » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm kind of late, but I have this Written Task for English, which is due tomorrow. I have finished it, it's somewhere between 1,5 and 2 A4 papers.

It is not really fanfiction and it's not about Les Mis either (it's about Equus), but if there is someone who can do a quick grammar and punctuation check... *angelface*

I'm a grammar nazi, I can do it. My email is on my profile or you could PM it to me.
<i>"Grantaire, will you do me a service?"
"Anything. I'll black your boots."
"Well, don't meddle with our affairs. Sleep yourself sober from your absinthe."
"You are an ingrate, Enjolras."</i>

Jaym

Postby Jaym » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 pm

I sent you a PM :wink:

cordeliersclub

Postby cordeliersclub » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Beta-readers, what a great idea. Since I'm usually proud if I've spellchecked.

Either way, I'm glad to beta-read anything. I'm uhm, thorough.
les Amis de l'ABC do not laugh at puns.

Return to “Fan Fiction”