Retellings of the Les Miz?

Share your stories with us!
avonavon

Retellings of the Les Miz?

Postby avonavon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 am

Hi all - I am new here, but been a fan for decades. Anyway, I was recently wondering - does anyone know if there are retellings of the Les Miz story in another setting? Sort of like West Side Story is to Romeo and Juliet? Not sure if I am thinking fan fiction, or actually published stuff, just curious.

Then I got to thinking - what other situations would allow you to tell the same basic story? At what places in recent human history have we had a criminal system that allowed for such unjust treatment, a huge unstable wealth gap, and the civil unrest where you could set the barricades? What else do you need in a setting?

I was thinking that the U.S. 50s-60s might be a possibility. A black man could have gotten pretty royally screwed in the criminal justice system of the 30s and 40s. In the 50s and 60s there are the race riots. Javert might be particularly interesting as a black policeman. I am not sure if the addition of the racial politics would corrupt the story or add to it.

What do you think?

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Retellings of the Les Miz?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 am

Last year in the Philippines. Doing that right now, but in a crossover.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:06 am

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine had a lot of allusions to it :D With the Michael Eddington plotline.
Also I think there was an Italian (?) film that was more inspired by than adapted from? I've only read a brief review of it, but never seen it.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

I've heard that The Fugitive is heavily inspired by the Valjean/Cosette/Javert plot line, but I don't think it has an equivalent for the barricades or Les Amis.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

avonavon

Postby avonavon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Last year in the Philippines. Doing that right now, but in a crossover.

I was going to ask where it was, but I found it. :) I look forward to reading it!

avonavon

Postby avonavon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 am

Gervais wrote:I've heard that The Fugitive is heavily inspired by the Valjean/Cosette/Javert plot line, but I don't think it has an equivalent for the barricades or Les Amis.

Something else to add to my netflix queue. :D

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 pm

avonavon wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Last year in the Philippines. Doing that right now, but in a crossover.

I was going to ask where it was, but I found it. :) I look forward to reading it!

I forgot I posted the link somewhere here. And whoops, it wasn't last year, the crossover was set in 2011 (a crazy year in itself).
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Return to “Fan Fiction”