Marius/Cosette/Éponine Genderswap Fic Collab

Share your stories with us!
MamzelleCombeferre

Marius/Cosette/Éponine Genderswap Fic Collab

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 am

Hi guys! This is the official thread for our genderswap fic that we discussed on the Noveau Amis page. First order of business is discussing a plot.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Gervais

Re: Marius/Cosette/Éponine Genderswap Fic Collab

Postby Gervais » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am

Woo! *fistpump* While part of me thinks that it would be nice to start with Valjean's adoption, another part says that that would make the fic too long and that we should start somewhere in Paris around 1830 or 1831.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:20 am

*second fistpump*
Awesome! I like the idea of starting at the beginning-- maybe even with the parents. We could have each chapter or few chapters be an jump in time. But either way is good with me. It'd be cool to give more detail to it, though, flesh it out, make it seem plausible, and I think that could be done best from the beginning.
I'm quite intrigued and excited, though. :D
Last edited by YoungStudentMarius on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:29 am

The more I think about it, the words "too long" don't really belong anywhere on a Les Miz fansite :lol: If everyone's willing to go with it, how about starting with Fantine asking Valjean to adopt Corbett.

Since Gervais has unofficially diagnosed herself with dysnomia, a list of changed names:
Marie--Marius
Corbett--Cosette
Sabinus--Eponine

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:36 am

I'm totally good with starting there. :)

Also, I had an idea. Would you guys want to do each chapter from a different point of view. Like one for Valjean, one for Corbett, etc. Since there are four of us we could each take a character, and then rotate between point of view. It would still be in third person though. If not that's fine. :)

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 am

It's 12:42 right now here, so forgive me. :oops: By "switching points of view," do you mean switching characters? As in, someone would write one chapter as Valjean, then another chapter as Corbett, and go through so many of the characters? Because if that's it, then I'm good with that.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:45 am

Perfect. And your idea sounds quite fine, Zelle. I like it. :D It would make it more brick-like, too. Oh, speaking of which-- writing style. Formal, casual, or up to and depending on the individual?

Tossing out the random idea of perhaps ultimately attaching a short, page or so long prologue?
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:49 am

No worries Gervais. Yup, that's what I meant.

Probably just depending upon the writer. I think the chapters will flow better if we just go with our natural writing style over trying to force it into some sort of mold.

A prologue would be quite nice actually. :)

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:51 am

Everything sounds good so far. Will we be assigned individual characters? If so, I think it's pretty obvious which one I want. :) But I'm fine with anything.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 am

A prologue would probably be a good idea. Maybe that's where the "Adopt my kid please" can come in. Maybe Fantine asking Valjean to take bring Corbett before Valjean's trip to Arras, then skip to Valjean's return and Fantine's death, and end with Valjean mentally promising to take care of him? And most of this up until her death could be in Fantine's POV.

I can sound more coherent than this, I promise. :oops:

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 am

Bypassing the Thenardiers completely?

Yeah, that way we don't conflict with eachother. Unless someone else wants him/her, you can have Sabinus/Éponine. :) I'd like to try my hand at Marius/Corbett or Cosette/Marie personally. Although I'll take anyone really. I'm not familiar with writing any of these characters, so it would be great practice all around.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:01 am

Perhaps a prologue could be almost like we were going to talk about Marius, Cosette, and Éponine, make it sound like that, from Fantine, Colonel Pontmercy, and Les Thenardiers, and then end it with who had the girl and the boy and their names, kind of as a backstory/foundation, ending with the twist upon which our story will be hinged.

Good, I like that. I think we each have such unique writing styles, and though I've never really written fanfiction except once, I'd be willing to do whatever I can, and go out on a limb.

I'd try Marius/Corbett or Cosette/Marie. Question-- are they still who they are, just in different circumstances, and, er, form? Or are they more each other?
Ach, let me rephrase that-- Is Corbett a male Cosette, or is he Marius in Cosette's position? And is Marie a female Marius, or is she Cosette having grown up like Marius? Personally, I think I'd like it if Marie was still Cosette, and Corbett still Marius, but I don't know what you all think, and I'd like to hear.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 am

I vote Marius' prologue.

Personally, I've been thinking that Corbett would be a boy that acts somewhat like Cosette, while Marie acts like Marius, and that they have their original family situations (Corbett adopted, Marie's grandpa, etc.) , but that's just me.

Put me in as anyone, amd I'll be fine, I think.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:13 am

I'd say Marius in Cosette's position and Cosette in Marius' position.

I like that. :) That way we can avoid making it too long (not that long is a problem, except I'll have more homework next semester since I'm taking on 16 credits instead of 14 like this semester so less time to write fic :( )

So so far we have:

Corbett (Marius):
Marie (Cosette):
Valjean:
Sabinus (Éponine): Elaine

I've already said my preferences, so who would you like Marius?

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:21 am

Great! It doesn't have to be long, just...effective.

I think you could do it either way successfully, it'd just be a different character study, but I'd lean towards swapped positions, because for personalities...let's face it, Cosette was under-characterized in the novel already. A boy with the character Cosette had might be a little awkward and under-developed as well, whereas perhaps switched positions could give Cosette a new shot at being her own character. But that's just my mixed-up thought process, and I am good with anything.

I can do at anyone; I don't know much about writing, but I'd kinda like to try my hand at Corbett. What a surprise...

Thank you, Zelle.

Return to “Fan Fiction”