A sequel to Pray for Daylight by TC Regan.

Share your stories with us!
ancslove

A sequel to Pray for Daylight by TC Regan.

Postby ancslove » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:39 am

First fic - here goes! This is a sequel to Pray for Daylight, with TC's permission. Commentary and criticism is more than welcome.

Even the Darkest Night Will End, and the Sun will Rise

Courfeyrac practically skipped alongside Combeferre and Bahorel on the way to the prison, whistling. Late last night, a gamin had found Bahorel and informed him of Grantaire’s arrest for public drunkenness and disturbing the peace. Not an uncommon occurrence, by any means, but this time was special. This time, Grantaire had somehow managed to drag Enjolras along with him. Twenty-four hours ago, Courfeyrac would have laughed if some Cassandra had told him that Enjolras would end up arrested for a reason that had nothing to do with the Republic or the Revolution. Now, Courfeyrac had already started compiling a slew of puns and ribs to tweak his austere and upright friend.

Although normally an arrest for a such a minor infraction would result in a night in jail and release at dawn, Les Amis (really meaning Combeferre) had decided to ensure there were no major complications. Therefore, Courfeyrac was dispatched to employ his charm as well as his knowledge of the law, Bahorel would supply any necessary physical intimidation, even if he didn’t have to literally crack heads, and Combeferre was along mostly to keep the other two in line and on task. That, and to worry about Enjolras, of course. Hopefully, the police had not recognized Enjolras or thought to investigate his background, but Combeferre would worry until both their friends were back where they belonged.

Courfeyrac’s mental musings came to an abrupt halt as they reached the jail. As Combeferre and Bahorel moved forward, Courfeyrac paused to take in the sight. Something was wrong – even from a slight distance, that was obvious. On the surface, the scene looked ordinary enough. Enjolras and Grantaire stood at the entrance, finishing the final paperwork from a young officer. However, the officer seemed to oddly avoid making direct eye contact with either of them. Hopefully, Courfeyrac thought, the poor officer was simply experiencing the usual reaction to being on the wrong side of Enjolras, whose glare could turn an offender to stone. An unusually tense Grantaire mostly stared at the ground, darting quick, nervous glances at Enjolras from time to time, before once more dropping his gaze. Granted, he might just be still feeling the aftereffects of a night of excess, and embarrassed about involving his idol, but Courfeyrac prided himself on his ability to quickly and accurately read people. Grantaire was not himself. From the back, Enjolras seemed well enough, straight-backed and head held high as he finished his dealing with the police officer. As Enjolras turned, Courfeyrac swallowed a gasp, and hurried forward. His friend was chalk-white underneath a film of dried blood that smeared from above his right eye and over his cheek. Faded, hollow eyes stared straight ahead in a tranced sort of glaze.

Combeferre was by his side, all anxious eyes and urgent, questioning hands, ushering the entire group to a safe, discreet distance from the jail, ducking into a side alley. While Bahorel stood guard, Courfeyrac slipped into the huddle, stepping up to wrap Enjolras in a warm embrace, kissing his unbloodied cheek.

“Are you alright? What happened?”

In lieu of a response, Enjolras twitched in his arms, a subtle flinch that nevertheless alarmed Courfeyrac. Never had the blond reacted to him thus, not even in the early days of their acquaintanceship. Releasing Enjolras instantly, Courfeyrac’s eyes instinctively turned to Combeferre. Before either could speak, Enjolras went limp, slumping toward the ground.
Last edited by ancslove on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ravariel

Re: A sequel to Pray for Daylight by TC Regan

Postby Ravariel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58 am

This is very poignant--well done. I'd love to see more, to watch how Enjolras and Grantaire begin to heal from this...do you plan to continue it?
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 am

Very much like this - looking forward to more updates. It's an interesting idea, as both are effectively the victims of non-con, and Grantaire might even be more traumatised than Enjolras. Enjolras, I think, could distance himself more from the act, as I think he'd see his body as a tool and, even though he's been violated, could more readily separate the physical act that was forced on him from his psyche. Grantaire, not so much - he's been the instrument used to inflict pain on what he loves most, and it was due to his actions they were there in the first place. Looking forward ot how you explore this...personally I suspect that, while Enjolras would hold Enjolras responsible for his own actions that got them there, he certainly wouldn't blame him for the evil of others. I think Enjolras would hold tightly to his logic in this situation, partly because it's so much a part of him, and partly as a coping mechanism, but I look forward to reading your ideas on the subject!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 am

Aww, thanks for the very kind comments! Despard - Grantaire is definitely more traumatized. His greatest dream has been turned into his living nightmare, and it's his fault.

Here's Part II:

Grantaire stared, frozen, as Enjolras went down, caught in Bahorel’s strong arms before he was able to hit the ground. A dim part of Grantaire’s mind was able to appreciate that Bahorel could move with surprising speed when he wanted. The rest of his mind had been cruelly yanked back to their night’s ordeal, replaying the events in harsh detail. The laughing thugs with their sick wishes and horrifying words. The nausea he had felt at hearing the leader’s demand, and the terror at what might come next. And Enjolras, on his hands and knees before him, in a position he had dreamed many times, quietly ordering Grantaire to take him. It was what he’d wanted, once. Twenty-four hours ago, if Grantaire had seen Enjolras like that and heard those words, he would have been ecstatic, transported immediately to Elysium. Now, Grantaire knew that he could never want Enjolras like that again.

“Sorry.Sorry.Sorry.Sorry.Sorry.Sorry!”

The word spilled from his lips, whispered again and again, as Grantaire trembled with horror, shame and self-loathing. Consciousness back in that dark, terrifying cell, Grantaire didn’t first notice Courfeyrac next to him.

“Grantaire? Come, let me take you home. Combeferre and Bahorel are taking Enjolras back to Combeferre’s place.”

Grantaire blinked slowly, gaze focusing on Courfeyrac’s worried face.

“Come on,” Courfeyrac repeated. “He’ll be alright, I swear to you. Let’s get you home.”

Grantaire looked back at the others. Enjolras was still unconscious, held securely in Bahorel’s arms, while Combeferre had moved out of the alley to wave down a fiacre. He started as Courfeyrac’s arm snaked around his shoulder and squeezed. He continued to shake and mutter as Courfeyrac said something to Bahorel, and then fell silent as the arm about his shoulders turned him and guided him from the alley, toward his home. After an indeterminate amount of time, they reached his rooms, how Grantaire couldn’t say, and it was up to Courfeyrac to reach into Grantaire’s own pocket for the key. Once inside, Courfeyrac sat him on the couch and began to fuss around him. Parchments and stray drawing supplies were neatened, empty bottles piled together, coffee put on the stove to heat. Once seemingly satisfied about the room, Courfeyrac turned his attentions to Grantaire himself, dabbing at his bruises with a handkerchief. Grantaire submitted numbly, his mind unable to process anything but the sight of Enjolras’ still form. Finally, Courfeyrac uttered the words he’d been dreading, “What happened?”

“It was just a bit of fun. He’d been working for days on that article, you know that. Even Combeferre agreed that he needed a break! I . . . I bugged him about it, I guess. Nagged and annoyed him and drank half the Musain’s stock, until he agreed to walk me home. I was drunk by that point, but having him with me was far more intoxicating than any liquor.”

Courfeyrac snorted at that last. Of course. “Go on.”

“I just wanted him to . . . I don’t know. Not love me, I’d never expect that, not even like me. Just see that I can be good for something! The rest of you enjoy my antics and songs, right? And I really didn’t mean to hurt that bourgeois. Just show him that I do listen, sometimes! God I hate being sober! But after last night, I don’t ever want to touch the stuff again.

“When we were arrested, I wasn’t worried – you’ve bailed me out before, a night in jail isn’t too bad! And I suppose I was too drunk to be embarrassed. Enjolras was annoyed, I could sort of tell, but that wasn’t exactly new.”

Courfeyrac shook his head. “But this was new. Was it the guards? Were they the ones who hurt him?”

“N-No. Not the guards. Some time in the night, new drunks were thrown in. Three of them. I was asleep – or passed out – when they came. But, they went after Enjolras. And . . . and then-“
Grantaire broke off, shuddering. Enjolras’ face, dripping with blood, blue eyes cloudy and unseeing, hovered before him. Enjolras, dragged forward by his hair, the beautiful golden waves that Grantaire had admired and rhapsodized about and utterly failed to capture in paint or pastel, now wrapped around a brutal fist. The leader’s obscene grin as he halted the beating and focused on Enjolras. The images came one on top of the other, quick and swirling, and all overlaid by that voice. Maybe you should share. . .

In the barest whisper, he continued. “They wanted him. The way they leered at him. . . But then, the leader. He wanted me to do it. Fuck him.”

Courfeyrac recoiled in horrified denial, head shaking automatically. “You – you didn’t! You wouldn’t! And then they roughed him up, right? Right? That’s all. I mean, it’s Enjolras!”

Shame flooding his humble features, Grantaire shrank inward. He knew that what he had done was unforgiveable. The lowest of the low. If he hadn’t known it before, Courfeyrac’s withdrawal hammered the point home. How could Enjolras ever look at him again? How could he look at himself? And the others. Joly and Bossuet would never again see him as their old drinking companion. Gentle Jehan and fiery Bahorel would both be furious. And Combeferre would kill him once he found out, Grantaire was certain about that. And he would deserve it. Yes, justice meted out by Enjolras’ closest friend and protector. It was fitting. And in this moment, Grantaire wanted it. But Courfeyrac was staring at him still with stricken eyes, needing an answer. Waiting for him to affirm that the worst that had happened was Enjolras being beaten a bit. As if that was the greatest horror in the world. Twenty-four hours ago, Grantaire might have thought the same. Now he knew better. Courfeyrac must have read the truth, for he inhaled abruptly and averted his gaze.

Suddenly desperate, Grantaire grabbed for Courfeyrac’s hand, words tumbling out in a confused babble, “I didn’t want to! I would die before hurting him, you must believe that! But they threatened to kill him, kill us both and then violate his body! And they would do it, I know their type. The leader, he had a knife. I don’t know how. Pressed it to his throat, then ordered me to rape him. I couldn’t let him die! Enjolras told me to! I didn’t want to!”

Taking a deep, steadying breath, Courfeyrac slowly nodded, “All right. I. . .I understand.” Another deep breath, “You did the right thing, Grantaire. Probably saved his life. And Enjolras will see that.”

Grantaire bowed his head, sobbing now. Somehow, Courfeyrac’s forgiveness cut deeper than his disgust. “But it was my fault that his life was endangered. My fault that he was hurt and violated. He should never have been there in the first place. Never been with me. I’m so, so sorry! Enjolras. . .” His tears intensified.

Courfeyrac gripped his shoulders, “You were both violated. I see that now. The shame attached to this act is not yours to bear! Enjolras knows that. Rest now, Capital R. Come on.”

Grantaire resisted as Courfeyrac tried to push him back onto the couch. “But Enjolras! He’s, he’s hurt and – “

Courfeyrac cut him off, “Enjolras is being well cared for. I’ll go check on him after you’re asleep, if it will set your mind at ease. Please, sleep. You’ve been through a terrible ordeal, and you need rest.”

Tears still slipping down his cheeks, Grantaire subsided. “Check on him, please. Make sure he’s ok. I tried not to hurt him, physically I mean, but make sure.”

Soothingly, “I will. And then I’ll be back to tell you. In the meantime, would you like me to call one of the others to stay with you? Joly, perhaps? He could also look you over and check your bruises.”

Finally overcome by the day’s ordeal, Grantaire shook his head wearily and curled up on the couch. “No, but thank you. I’d rather be alone for a bit.”

“All right, then. Sleep.” Courfeyrac watched Grantaire drift off, Enjolras’ name still on his lips. Shaking his head, heartsick over what had happened to his friends, he slipped out of the apartment and hailed a fiacre on the street.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:18 am

Great followup - I love a fussy Courfeyrac, pfaffing around Grantaire and trying to look after him. Poor Courfeyrac - he's not naive, but the whole concept of what went down would be so abhorent to his sense of honour and fair play. A fight he could understand, but this sort of violation would be such anathema to him. But if you had to tell anyone, Courfeyrac would be your best bet.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 am

Courfeyrac's worship of all forms and expressions of love would make rape utterly anathema to him, a horrific and unthinkable perversion of what sex should be. Plus, I think that Enjolras' aura of invincible control can sometimes make everyone believe that he really is untouchable - well, not to his friends, but to everyone else! After all, who wouldn't falter before that glare? But Courfeyrac's a dear, and he maybe above all the others would understand the violation done to Grantaire as well as to Enjolras. (Combeferre is not currently thinking about Grantaire. Combeferre probably forgot that Grantaire exists, the moment that Enjolras went down.)

I'm going to try to amend my thread title to put a warning in for sensitive and triggering content - even though anyone reading this has probably already read Pray For Daylight, it's a good habit for me to develop. Along those same lines, I think my next post will also be under a cut/directed to an outside sight. My first post really didn't allude to anything, had readers not already known the original story, but as flashbacks continue, better to be safe.

Inspector Karamazov

Re: A sequel to Pray for Daylight by TC Regan.

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I keep meaning to comment on this one.

I love Courfeyrac in this, first of all.

Secondly, being interested in psychology, I'm interested to see Grantaire and Enjolras' mental and emotional development after this.

Keep up the good work.
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:36 pm

Aww thanks, Inspector! Hope I don't disappoint!

Next part, linked to for mention of sensitive subject:

http://ancslove.tumblr.com/post/17899958084/darkest-night-part-iv

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 pm

I tried to respond to this on tumblr when I reblogged it, but the wretched work firewall did one of its random "much" things, and it didn't show up in the reblog.

I am a sucker for h/c like this that doesn't reduce Enjolras to a snivelling woobie, however terrible what has happened to him is. He seems to have completely shut down here - the stoicism taken to such a degree that he has switched off. While many of the more obvious reactions are coming from his friends who are so appalled at what has happened to him (and in R's case, what role he played), I'm intrigued by seeing how you're going to handle things when Enjolras wakes up.

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks, Despard! Enjolras wakes up in the next part, although that's in Combeferre's POV not Enjolras'. I hope that I'm keeping him in character. I love angsty hurt/comfort, but I'm trying to keep him Enjolraic even while Combeferre, Bahorel, and Courfeyrac (who returns, yay!) fuss over him. The final part will be Enjolras' POV.

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:13 am

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Inspector Karamazov

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 am

I FINALLY finished this!

And I must say it was really good. I especially loved when Grantaire and Enjolras finally speak again, the scene was inevitable and you handled it very well. It was lovely and bitersweet. And, even though you're writing about a dark subject, it's ultimately hopeful.

So I liked it.
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

At some point, I'll probably do some filler drabbles that take place during the time jump between VII and VIII. Grantaire and Enjolras, and at least one other Ami.

Return to “Fan Fiction”