FAQ

Please read everything in here before continuing in this forum.
Abaissé Voice of Mod

FAQ

Postby Abaissé Voice of Mod » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:26 am

I have not actually been asked most of these, but they seem to be usual concerns in many places, so I figured it would be a good idea to list as much of these as I could think of.

Q: I tried to create an account but I didn't get a registration e-mail. Why?
The number one reason for this is that your internet connection cut out while you were in the middle of filling out the forms. If all the information does not travel from the form to the server and back in one piece, it will error out and no registration will occur. Once you have successfully completed a registration, you should be taken to a php-generated page that tells you to check your e-mail for an activation message, and click the link within to activate your account. If you do not see that page, your registration did not take.

It is also possible that your e-mail provider routed the activation e-mail to your Spam folder. Check there before e-mailing me that it's gone.

Q: I tried to create an account, but I'm having trouble answering the security question at the end of the form. What's the answer to your security question?
For security reasons, the exact answers to the security questions will not be publicly posted on this board. The security question was enacted to replace the CAPTCHA because spam bots are easily able to bypass the CAPTCHA software; and the idea with CAPTCHA/security questions is to keep the spambots out of the forum. Some spambots are capable of searching google and the board itself to find the answer to security questions. The questions are all related to Les Mis in some way. Some questions have answers based in the musical; some are based on the book; none are questions requiring knowledge of really arcane or obscure details, and all should be easily answerable using general fan knowledge, Wikipedia, or a quick glance at the book or the OBC. If, however, you cannot seem to get the correct answer to pass the security question, please e-mail admin at the-barricade.net, and I will tell you the answer to the security question. Please note that there is more than one question, and it will come up randomly each time the registration form is opened, including for an incorrect answer.

Q: I created an account but the board doesn't show everything, or even anything at all! What happened?
I'm not as certain on this one, but on occasion, the account set-up process doesn't complete correctly, and the new user doesn't have forum permissions correctly enabled. This means seeing a message, when logged in, that there are no boards available. I'm mostly convinced this is ALSO due to internet connection issues while setting up the account and activating, because if the server does not receive all the correct information at the correct time, it will cause errors in the new registration. Generally speaking I can fix this with an e-mail.

Q: I used to be a member here but when I try to log in it tells me I don't exist/my username or password is invalid? What did you do?
Accounts that have been long inactive or have been found to be in violation of rules will be deactivated, banned, or deleted depending upon the circumstances. You may create a new account if so, keeping in mind all current rules in place on the board. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you have a problem. At this moment there is no current policy on deleting inactive accounts, however a policy is currently in consideration.

Q: Why can't I use HTML?!
These boards run with BBCode. If you are not familiar with BBCode, please read the FAQ on it, here. HTML is hard-coded into the board software as disabled; not even administrators are able to use HTML on the boards. There are two reasons for it. The biggest reason is security: any malicious user can use HTML tags (or javascript or anything else) to hack or otherwise exploit the forum. Also, in older versions of phpBB it was possible to use HTML tags, and it occasionally happened that incorrectly-used tags would break the forum and render it inoperable. BBCode should serve nearly every need you might want to use HTML for; and if it doesn't, revisit your need to use that specific bit of code.

Q: Why do I get this message: "You cannot post another message so soon. Please wait a few seconds and try again"?
This is what is known as flood control. This is an attempt to prevent people from spamming. It does, unfortunately, count editing a previous post as a new post, but I'm sure you can wait 30 seconds in between posts. The same message will appear if you try to search more than once every 30 seconds, or PM someone more than once every 30 seconds.

Q: Where's my thread/post? I posted it yesterday, but now it's gone!
There are a few reasons for this. One, you may have put it in the wrong forum, and I moved it for you. Two, you posted a thread that is not permitted, and I have deleted it. Three, your thread/post contained any of the following: spam, offensive/inappropriate content, far off-topic discussion, or an overabundance of stupidity. Administration will not tolerate any of the aforementioned. We all have brains, let's please use them. Also, very very rarely, phpBB will hiccup and the thread will disappear/reappear; or it won't show up correctly if you search -- I've tested it and copied/pasted thread titles into the search and the search function fails to find it.

Q: I got this weird error when I try to post/read the forum! What do I do?
PM me with the exact text of the error. I can't promise to be able to fix it or know what it is, but we'll see. It may be a bug, it may be a server error, and it may be something beyond my control. I won't know until you tell me what the error is, though, and in that case PM me, or e-mail me if you can't get to your PM box. Having exact text of the error, context in which you received the error, and screen print(s) of the error will be immensely helpful to me in resolving it.

Q: I want to change my username, I don't like my old one anymore. How do I change it?
I have name changes disabled, but if you really really need to get rid of the old one, PM me and we'll see what we can do. Too many name changes can be confusing to the rest of the users; but I understand people get tired of their aliases now and again, so it's probably possible.

Alternately, you may create a brand new account, but due to current rules in place at this forum, your previous account will be deactivated and will no longer be useable on the board, meaning your post count, avatar, signature, and anything else associated with the old account will be effectively unavailable to you. If you really want to start over, I highly suggest sending a PM admin-ward just so we know what's going on.

Q: I tried to upload an avatar, but it won't work. Why?
All uploaded avatars have a maximum file size of 50k and can be no larger than 150px by 150px. If your avatar is larger than either or both of those, you need to either make it smaller, or choose a different image.

Q: I put a banner in my signature but it's gone now! What happened?
Very likely it did not follow the guidelines outlined in the rules post for the use of sig banners. If it is animated, it is removed. If it is large, it is removed. If it is offensive it MAY be removed.

Q: Why don't you have a forum for ___?
Because I don't see a need for it. If you think it's really necessary, that's what I have the Suggestions board for.

Q: Why can't I post new threads in certain boards?
Administrative decisions, usually--
The Important Information board is meant to update users on the board itself: new rules, changes to the forum, etc. Members will not need to post new threads in this board unless they are directly involved in updating the forum's rules, layout, and operation. Replies to existing topics will be permitted so long as they aren't locked, and usually the Important Information threads will be so as to prevent off-topic discussion.

Brand new users have limited post capability: in approximately half the forums they are only able to reply to current topics. This limit disappears after the first post. The intent with this decision is assuming all/most new members put up an intro in the Introductions board as their first post, and then after that point they will have mostly unfettered board access.

Other limits may be in place as the administration deems necessary.

Q: I'm not sure if you noticed this but there is a thread where a lot of posts or users seem to be breaking rules. Why haven't you done anything about that?
Most likely nothing has been done about this alleged rule-breaking because the admins did not notice it. We do try to read most, if not all, posts made on the forum, but the more members there are, the more posts there are, and the more difficult it is to read and therefore see everything. In this case you should report the thread(s)/post(s)/user(s) in question. You have two ways of doing this: You can click the Report button, and this will put up an alert to the administrators to check it out. The Report button is an exclamation point; in the default Revolution style it will be on the top right part of the post. You can say what you think is the problem in the text box provided. Alternatively, send a PM to Abaissé Voice of Mod with any/all relevant details - including links to threads and user profiles as necessary.

Please note: if there is a thread/post/user that is bothering you, you can still report it even if you don't think they are explicitly or intentionally breaking any rules. The only people who will know about the reports are the administrators themselves. No one else will even know that you reported it.

A report on thread(s), post(s), and user(s) does not, however, guarantee that something will be done. It only guarantees that the administrators of this forum will take a careful look and see if there is, in fact, a problem, and address it if need be.

Q: I have/had a problem, but you haven't fixed it! Why?
I'm sorry! Sometimes I genuinely cannot fix a problem or issue that is presented, and if that is the case I will try to let you know. However, sometimes I can't fix an issue because you haven't given me enough information, or let me know what the real issue is. Please make sure to communicate as many details of your problem as you can, so that I can fix it as quickly as I can and to the best of my ability.

Q: Why isn't my question answered here?
Because I didn't think of it. PM me and ask, or post a reply here with your question.

Abaissé Voice of Mod

Re: FAQ

Postby Abaissé Voice of Mod » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 am

I've updated and clarified the FAQs -- most of these haven't changed in years, and badly needed some corrections and additions. As always, e-mail/pm/respond with any concerns. :)

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:43 am

Since apparently there are people who visit here / have visited here that believe I am so petty and vindictive as to ban and delete accounts of people who have been unpleasant to me...

Q: Are you going to ban me or delete my account?
There are exactly two reasons for me to ban or delete accounts. The first is for spamming. The second is for repeated and deliberate/malicious rule-breaking.

Please note that any dislike on the part of the admins towards members, real or perceived, is not a deciding factor in account banning or deletion. Administration knows how to comport themselves professionally and does not allow personal problems to get in the away of account administration.

I don't care if you have stabbed me in the back or lied to me or spread malicious rumours about me or posted passive-aggressive bullshit about me all over your blogs -- none of these things are grounds for being dismissed from Abaissé so long as they do not occur ON Abaissé where they may be considered a breach of Rule #1. Everyone knows Rule #1, right? Good.

For the record, some people on this board have received more than their fair share of crap from cruel, vindictive, petty, passive-aggressive, or malicious people. It has happened OFF the board and therefore is NOT the board's business. I have stated it AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. What happens off of Abaissé is not Abaissé business, period. HOWEVER. Members of Abaissé WILL NOT be exempt from disciplinary action if they bring drama from outside sources onto here.

I don't usually expect to have to post about these things -- and then people act like assholes and so I am compelled to.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:03 am

Q. Is there any way to make a certain thread members only or otherwise private, since personal information has been posted in it?

No, there is not. Abaissé is a public message board. Yes, one must create an account to post on the board, and yes, the Role Play section is designed to be viewed/used by members only, but this does not on any account, for any reason, mean that any information posted upon this site can be construed as protected or private. If you have posted any information in posts that you do not feel comfortable with the entire Internet reading, I suggest you go back and edit out that information from your posts. Though the board does not generally condone editing of posts to remove or change the message contained within the posts, there is ALWAYS a valid exception for the posting of PERSONAL documents, creations, or information.

Please remember to use discretion when posting on this forum, as in anywhere else on the internet. I am not here to police your personal information for you. Google as well as many other search engines regularly crawl Abaissé. If you want it kept private, make sure it remains in e-mail, PM, or IM, not here on the Abaissé boards.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Return to “Important Information”