Moderator Elections!

Please read everything in here before continuing in this forum.
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Moderator Elections!

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm looking to "hire" a moderator. Someone who hangs around here a lot more than I do and can keep an eye out for the important things. Basically I want someone who's active and who knows how to use the forum and so forth. This includes all the interesting moderator buttons -- so if you can do phpBB functions, or know you can learn how easily enough, and you want to help me run the place, you'd be perfect :D

Basically I had to make this decision for the simple reason that I can't really focus on running this board. I saw the suggestion for the Quick Guide to Abaissé a little bit ago and realised there's no way I'd be able to cull through this board and find those "important and interesting" threads people have referred to in the Suggestions board. So if there's people out there who would want to do this job, PM me. You can ask any questions here.

Obviously there are rules including following the rules yourself as well as blindly meting out justice (i.e., you can't spare your friends from the Voice of Mod if they misbehave. Not that people often do) when required. But I don't think moderation should require a huge time and effort commitment, at least none above/beyond what any of the most active people here already do.

I will try to keep my eye out on the board a little more over the next few weeks while I have a bit of time. :)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

deHavilland

Re: Moderator Elections!

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 am

I thought about PMing you, but there's something to be said about the community nominating who they want to be represented by - natter, natter, it's a Les Mis forum - so I figured I would put this right out there in the open.

There are a lot of wonderful people on the boards at present who all bring something different and exciting to the table via their general discussion posts and their fandom involvement, but there's only one person currently around who I think really embodies the sort of thing that Abaisse has always been going for in terms of being a place of intelligent discussion in relation to Les Misérables. You would be hard-pressed to find a post in the stage or brick threads where Acaila hasn't put forth some well-thought insight or phrased an interesting question to keep the discussion moving, or an introduction post where she hasn't made a point of playing the role of welcome wagon, steering newcomers towards the cafe thread and the rules post; and I can't think of anyone who crosses the lines between the discussion and off-topic threads as frequently or as easily as she does. I have consistently found her to be a solid source not only of information but of tolerance and respect for other members of the community and I really feel that if she's at all interested in it, that she would be one of if not the best person for the job of those who are currently active in the community. Acaila is well-rounded in her fandom involvement and open to everyone, so A++ would recommend.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:32 am

I second Geronimo's nomination of Acaila.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 am

I second AJ's seconding.
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 am

And I'll third it, wholeheartedly! All of that is so true, Geronimo, and thanks for being the one to say it. :D
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 am

Oooerr :oops: Thank you all.
Well, I don't mind helping out in whatever capacity if it's wanted.
My modding experience has mostly been vbulletin based - haven't done phpBB in years, but I don't remember it being overly complicated.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am

Adding in a fourth voice for Acaila. :D Geronimo said it all.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Acaila wrote:haven't done phpBB in years, but I don't remember it being overly complicated.

It really isn't. The most complicated stuff is where you need to move/split threads between forums, but all of it is done via push button for the most part and you just click or pick from a dropdown for just about everything anyway.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Being a little different here but, I'm nominating Gervais. I was going to say Marius, but I know she does not like technical stuff.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:43 pm

I nominate Acaila (And not to be creepy but she was the first person I thought to nominate before I read Geronimo's post)
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks, Em, but Acaila is much better suited for the job.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:39 am

No disrespect to Acaila, a great contributor and one of the people who makes Abaisse worth it, or to Gervais, who is definitely selling herself short, but I'm not sure public nominations are such a good idea- the original idea was for people who wanted to mod to put themselves forward privately, and if one particular person is nominated practically by acclamation, other candidates might feel unwilling to do so.

Just in order to maintain impartiality by the future moderator, it's probably best not to have a thread listing by name who nominated them, who supported them, and who wanted someone else.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:54 am

Haven't been around too much lately but I'd agree with what the others have said. Acaila's an active, knowledgeable member who always seems to contribute a lot. Probably your best bet if you're looking for one.
The law is unjust.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm cool with public or private. Honestly, I'd rather have people in charge that the people can actually tolerate AND feel free to talk to. I can not please all of the people all of the time, but, y'know, being able to run this place smoothly and make sure most people get the most enjoyment out of this place as possible is pretty much primary. It seems pretty overwhelming that you all have one person in mind... To be frank I expected like half a dozen people to PM me and stuff but this is even better, makes my job even easier. :D I shall never complain about that. Acaila: since you seem to be willing to take on the job your fellows have given you, I'll send you a PM. You can still say no obviously if you really don't want to do it.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 pm

[quote="MmeJavert"]I'm cool with public or private. Honestly, I'd rather have people in charge that the people can actually tolerate AND feel free to talk to. I can not please all of the people all of the time, but, y'know, being able to run this place smoothly and make sure most people get the most enjoyment out of this place as possible is pretty much primary. It seems pretty overwhelming that you all have one person in mind... To be frank I expected like half a dozen people to PM me and stuff but this is even better, makes my job even easier. :D I shall never complain about that. Acaila: since you seem to be willing to take on the job your fellows have given you, I'll send you a PM. You can still say no obviously if you really don't want to do it.[/quote]

Ah, okay. Sorry!

Congrats, Acaila!
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Return to “Important Information”